Chinese-Forums

Old scroll.

Aceofface

It doesn't even quite make a good object of conversation. I have been rolling my eyes a bit already this morning.

I am willing to believe your scroll was hand written. But Sun Yat-Sen doesn't write so squarely or "perfectly" to create those very font-like corners.

518040E1-388E-4D47-AA8A-466F87978A80.thumb.jpg.87184847e1953b7310cfc7f4350d5c51.jpg

43C63330-5275-42C6-9D9D-4403133809D0.thumb.jpg.9e6d0782bf1bfc3efdc5a21fa8cd4a54.jpg

AEE552D0-97F7-40F2-AFE1-19E69F87ED34.thumb.jpg.17cdf36a99acde21375611b5c34a7c2a.jpg

Can this be put to bed yet.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aceofface said:

Experts all disagree Shelley

Well then who are you going to believe? The one "expert" who tells you it is worth something but doesn't know anyone who would buy it?

Appreciate your time and effort here presenting this.  BTW, what's your name in English?  The point you made is valid in this comparison.  Could this be an evolution in his studies and how he executes the characters that is going on here.  I cannot read this obviously, but I can understand English cursive writing.  When someone pens out a sentence or two it is very unique to them and their hand.  I am assuming that this holds true to this also, but to a lesser degree, since here, one is trying to write and copy  a unique look.  Also different brushes with different points do different things.   Doubt he used the same brush on everything.

Can you read into anything else in the overall look of this comparison?   Spacing theme?  Energy?  Temperament?  Patience?

And again, why is my seal different from those you presented?  That's a biggie, if you ask me.

Shelley.....  thanks

So its someone else whose name is very close to Sun-Yat sen hmmmmmmmmm, why?

I am now going to bow out of the discussion and get on with something more interesting, for all further questions you may have, you can take roddy's reply above as an answer from me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aceofface said:

BTW, what's your name in English?  The point you made is valid in this comparison.  Could this be an evolution in his studies and how he executes the characters that is going on here.  I cannot read this obviously, but I can understand English cursive writing. 

You can call me "Chen" or something if you want. An evolution theory seems unlikely.

Can you read into anything else in the overall look of this comparison?   Spacing theme?  Energy?  Temperament?  Patience?

Your scroll looks like typeface and his calligraphy looks slightly more "cursive" (I do not mean 草書). He wrote in both 行書 and 楷書 styles but even his 楷書 does not come anywhere close to that look.

And again, why is my seal different from those you presented?  That's a biggie, if you ask me.

Yours says 孫文印信, his usually say 孫文之印 or 逸仙長壽 or 孫文之玺 etc. It also looks poorly proportioned and frankly kind of ugly.

Edit: If you are trying to create an air of mystery you are failing quite miserably and if you keep going the snake oil salesmen shtick will become more and more obvious.

• Like 1

So he used a few different seals?  Is that what your seeing?  When you say that the calligraphy looks like typeface, I read that as pretty accurate without much deviation.

Anyways Chen, appreciate your interest.  It's a bit of a mystery,  See where it goes.

3 hours ago, Aceofface said:

Experts all disagree!

Then it shouldn't be too difficult to find one that says what you want to hear. What are you asking here for?

14 minutes ago, Aceofface said:

It's a bit of a mystery,

What is the mystery? You have a scroll that looks old and is in all likelihood not written by Sun Yat-sen.

Chen Decong, thanks for those images. I don't have a scroll in this race but it's interesting to see the differences like that.

Ok.... Ok.....Ok

Thanks everyone.  You've all been very helpful.   I will revisit here and provide an update.  But be patient, these things take a long time.   However, I am more hopeful with this one than I was before.  Thanks again.  Fred

2 hours ago, Aceofface said:

So he used a few different seals?

I have seen more than one seal used, but this does not mean that your seal is authentic haha. In most if not all of the examples I posted, his seal is 孫文之印.

2 hours ago, Aceofface said:

When you say that the calligraphy looks like typeface, I read that as pretty accurate without much deviation.

You should read it as "it looks like it was printed off a computer".

Roddy.   I see consistency a nd  similarity.  But naturally I am a little biased.  Trying hard not to be that so much.  Ha.

Chen.  That's helpful knowing that there's a few different seals that he used.  And that's the way I read it originally.  The computer reference is a good one.  Overall, looking at it, it projects the feeling to me that great care was taken in the placement and energy of each brushstroke.  But then, probably the same with other competent calligraphers.

This is a very entertaining thread, frustrating, but entertaining nonetheless. It's like hitting a brick wall but not realizing you've hit it but you keep moving forward... on a brighter note, whatever it is Fred is fighting for, I hope he proves everyone here wrong (although it is doubtful, some very compelling evidences have been presented by Chen). I am hoping that his hope for teaching Chinese language enthusiasts to detect fakes is worth it. HAHAHA, this thread is just sad and hilarious.

• Like 2