Chinese-Forums

Chinese stem lettuce 莴笋炒豆腐

abcdefg

OK, that seemed to work. Here is a bigger view of the site. The small tents I was interested in are at the back. The big tents are for cooking classes. There was a big van with video, either video of the class in progress or video of some other Chinese food topics.

cff3.thumb.jpg.da9d5ebe11f61ca8bba7df89befd57d9.jpg

The first stall was Chang's Noodles.

Chang's Noodles

changs2.thumb.jpg.0c2bd707de456dc787b2ccbbb5a8681e.jpgChang's Noodles menu

I did have one of their mutton buns, which was very good although the bun was a bit hard going.

Mutton bun

Here is CCTV interviewing Chang's. I was actually following the lady in the blue hat around as my main aim was to photograph people close up, and I liked her hat, but I didn't realize at first that she was with CCTV.

CCTV

That may not have been the most exciting stall, but it was the first and I spent some time there.

The only other thing I tried was a bun from Bun House. I had to get one because I kept photographing the lady cooking them. Unfortunately I think my auto-focus was not working well because of the shadow of the hat. She stamped a symbol on the bun. It was a pig bun and very good.

Pig bun from Bun House

bunhouse2.thumb.jpg.3aada662a9f801edd123b060dc773a69.jpg

I think that is enough for the time being.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Zeppa said:

but somehow I don't think you wanted to know that.

It all adds to the atmosphere, IMHO the more pictures and information the better. One can always ignore something but if its not there you can't see it if you want to.

It doesn't cost anything to post them, so as long as it is a positive addition, bring it on:P

Thanks for the pictures so far:shock:

Excellent photos! Glad the event was enjoyable.

Interesting to hear English names for some of these Chinese favorite street foods. Such as "Mutton buns" for 肉夹馍 and "Pig buns" for 肉包。

Think I would have gone nuts there. The authorities would have had to eventually shoo me or drag me away at closing time.

Looks like a great recipe, abcd. I do the same, minus the tofu. Will need to try it your way next time. 莴笋 is pretty ubiquitous here, all the markets have it in bulk and it's relatively cheap/fresh so I buy it often for quick weeknight stir fries, I especially like serving it simply stir fried with garlic and ginger alongside something with a more robust flavor (which is where the tofu usually goes) as it tastes so fresh and clean. 

• Like 1

I should have started a new thread. Maybe other people in London would have liked to go to this festival, which is still on today, Sunday.

On Canteen:

On Canteen

Wong's Kitchen, Ugly Dumplings. Behind Wong's you can see a panda costume that is empty as yet. Three pandas appeared later.

ugly2.thumb.jpg.ac7f45795e8b1ad4574c3427739de8eb.jpgUgly Dumplingwongs.thumb.jpg.c445510adbe254b9dda1269bed326b46.jpg

Waffles - a big trend. I haven't tried them but there is a queue outside their shop in Wardour Street when I go past.

waffles2.thumb.jpg.5de17d2264ec7e551bd8828745b973df.jpgWaffles 2waffles.thumb.jpg.010c35ce6380aff3af339fa61f3db7a3.jpg

Handian - Taiwan sausages. I tried some from a sampling plate. They were sweet so I didn't really like them enough.

taiwan2.thumb.jpg.8f7681a6eab264525a010a2f2f1a7f4c.jpgtaiwansausage.thumb.jpg.aa8aca0c38c9d9bb077b892465686fb7.jpg

Mao's Tapas

Mao's Tapas

Crayfish

Sauce bottle with tower of London in the background. This is where you sign up for a cooking course session.

Sauce

Have your photo taken for Instagram?

Instagram

Finally, a gentleman from the USA who agreed to pose for a picture.

Male tonic

That's it. I'm glad I went, and it was a lovely day. It didn't rain till after I got home at 15.00.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex_Hart said:

I especially like serving it simply stir fried with garlic and ginger alongside something with a more robust flavor (which is where the tofu usually goes) as it tastes so fresh and clean. 

Agree. "Fresh and clean" is a great way to describe it.

@Zeppa -- Those lobsters look good. The whole event seems like lots of fun. And the big-belly American guy would blend right in at Walmart in my Texas home town.