Chinese-Forums

Roast duck mango salad

abcdefg

I just returned from a trip to northern Thailand, which might be why the mangoes caught my eye at the market yesterday. Even though now back in China, afraid I still have mangoes on the brain. It was peak mango season right when I was there, early May. 

Just couldn't stay away from that lovely mango sticky rice. Had it at every turn. Cost 50 Baht from street carts, and 120 at my hotel restaurant. But cheap at twice the price. What a terrific blend of flavors and textures. The rice was dusted with toasted yellow mung beans and drenched with concentrated coconut milk. 

5af798ea81594_mangostickyricedone.thumb.jpg.26310080319702bfe6887a2c783df3f8.jpg

What a glorious combination of textures and flavors. 

• Like 2

Thank you Luxi, Alex, and Christa! Glad you liked this one. I'm not sure what to suggest as a non-meat-eater's version. Although it's not the same, the mango sticky rice desert pictured above sure does hit the spot without involving any meat. 

6 hours ago, Alex_Hart said:

Makes me wish I ate meat!

Same problem here. Maybe Tempeh, if you can get it in China? 

(I mean the Indonesian-style stuff which has bits of whole soy beans in it.   As opposed to Seitan which I always thought was similar,  but the wikipedia entry seems to focus on gluten-based mock-duck etc... any of those canned gluten-based mock meats are hideous in my experience.)

Tempeh is hard to find in China; I've seen it on some Taobao shops, but the shops never looked legit enough for me to try buying it. It definitely has a different flavor from seitan, but I would note that real seitan can be quite tasty if done properly. I don't think it would be appropriate for this dish, however. I'm thinking something like 五香豆腐丝 might be good - I use it often in 凉拌 dishes, but I haven't eaten roast duck in something like 5 years so I'm not really sure what it does in this dish. Is it there for texture, as abc mentions the skin several times? There are several vegetarian versions of "duck skin" available here ranging from seitan to fried sheets of 豆腐皮;the 薄脆 you find in 天津煎饼 could be another option. Or just peanuts. :P  

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, I'll bet that crispy fried tofu skin 脆豆腐皮 would be good in place of the duck, even though it wouldn't be quite the same. We are getting more and more of these real sweet and tender "sheng de long" Thai mangoes 圣德龙芒果 and the price is coming down. Maybe I will try it again this weekend, using the tofu.

Right now I'm enjoying a home-made mango-banana-lime smoothie, spiked with white rum. Makes me glad I bought a blender last year. Makes me glad I live in the balmy subtropical highlands of the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

Right now I'm enjoying a home-made mango-banana-lime smoothie, spiked with white rum. Makes me glad I bought a blender last year. Makes me glad I live in the balmy subtropical highlands of the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau. 

We hit 38 degrees today. I think I need that blender more than you do! 

• Like 2