Chinese-Forums

Addictive smoked tofu 青椒豆腐干

abcdefg

Thank you for this introduction.

Is the smoky flavour created by wood smoke or something else, over just coals wouldn't be the best flavour would it? We have a coal fire and I can't imagine anything tasting nice cooked over it.  Has it got a meaty flavour or umami type taste? Is the texture like meat or more like a mushroom or something completely different?

Sorry for all the questions but these are the sort of things i wonder about.

• Like 1

Thanks for your questions, @Shelley. It's traditionally made in a manner similar to a good smoked Provolone or a smoked Gouda cheese. Several hours at a low temperature using some combination of small wood, twigs and chips. It is often smoked in a closed chamber to prevent it from drying out. The flavor can differ from one maker to another, depending a good deal on what kind of tofu he began with. 

It doesn't taste like meat, but does have a smoky, umami note. Texture also varies according to the formula used, how it was brined, how long it has been pressed and so on; more tender than cured ham for example. It's easy to tear off a bite-sized piece using chopsticks. Knife and fork are not required. 

Chinese cooking not only uses tofu to sometimes replace meat, but recipes often combine it with meat for a very full, rounded flavor. This 豆腐干 is hearty and robust, not weak. pale or namby pamby. 

I tend to return to the same one or two makers time after time since I have known their products by now over a period of years and just buying it blind one isn't always sure what one is getting. Lord only knows what kind of shortcuts some manufacturers use. I realize that isn't terribly reassuring, but that's the way lots of ingredients are over here. 

Re-read the above answer this morning I now realize I should probably backtrack and put smoked tofu into a broader context: one which discusses how tofu is made. Will do this in a separate post pretty soon and promise to try my best not to let it become long-winded and boring (which is always the risk of such general background projects.) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a favorite of mine. I love smoked tofu and try to always keep a chunk of it in the fridge for quick lunches or to beef up a vegetable dish with a little protein.

I've never seen this color 豆豉! It's usually black here. Is the flavor similar?

52 minutes ago, Alex_Hart said:

I've never seen this color 豆豉! It's usually black here. Is the flavor similar?

I usually buy it in the market, where it's black, as you say. In the grocery store, however, they had two kinds. This light one in addition to the more standard dark variety. Both have similar flavor. 

I bought this light kind for a specif use, and had some left over. To make a salad with the leafy vegetable that produces the peppery and fish flavored roots known here as 折耳根。I had some in a restaurant and liked it; quizzed my friends about how to make it at home. 

The salad is featured here: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/56355-kunming-spring-bounty-seasonal-eats/ 

5ae54f9c00e6e_IMG_20180422_125927_1-60.thumb.jpg.c21aa209b46d9732c68ffc30b9a32bfa.jpg   5adad1bfa0184_IMG_20180421_113842--50.thumb.jpg.3f5d1faaf08bcbed8c77a10b722e0cba.jpg

• Like 1