Chinese-Forums

Kunming Tea Industry Expo 2018

abcdefg

@大胆男 -- Yes, it was expensive; I finally just cranked up my WeChat wallet and took the plunge. Bought several pieces, a few grams; wound up costing me about 50 Yuan. Enough to last a year. 

These were all from 新会县, a county in Guangdong (part of Jiangmen.) This is the most famous production center for aged tangerine peel in China (maybe in the world.) I knew almost nothing about it beforehand. Earned a 20-minute "curbside PhD," right there on the spot.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chenpi 

They had several others which were less expensive, and some from 1997 and 1996 which were really outrageous. I was amazed to find a shop like this; where on earth could you expect to run into wide a selection of vintage orange peel? And get to taste them before buying? It's supposed to be good for the stomach and several other things having to do with regulating internal heat and qi.

1622202517_IMG_20181027_111841-50.thumb.jpg.7cfdcaf9ea708baef2ba4b4fbb4f37b1.jpg

I'll use the bamboo boxes for small gifts when I go back to the US at Christmas or New Years. They are light and won't take much room in my suitcase. 

3 hours ago, somethingfunny said:

What do you plan on doing with the orange peel? 

That's a tougher question and, to be honest, I don't have much experience with the good stuff, the aged tangerine peel like I bought yesterday. I have some lesser citrus peel that I bought at an herb shop in Guangzhou 3 or 4 years ago, and I've used it to make a nice chicken wings dish. Combines well with ginger as a flavor note. (Tangerine and ginger chicken wings.) 

The lady at the booth where I bought it made some tasty ripe tangerine peel Pu'er tea. Just put a little in the teapot. I also tried a plain infusion of it with a tiny bit of honey. Both were things I'll do here at home. I hope to explore other possibilities now that I have some to play with. 

• Thanks 1

I think I bought some pu'er that came inside a tangerine peel once.

That is often very good. A fine marriage of flavors. The mellow, earthy taste of ripe Pu'er and the tart, slightly bitter-sweet note of citrus peel. 

891161044_tangerinepuertea2-55.thumb.PNG.d4407d9283dcd9f6431442d306718162.PNG

630240933_tangerinepuertea3-50.thumb.PNG.d88021f0f128e0037795100bc9f86dd9.PNG

• Like 1

Thank you for putting the effort to share this with us. It must make your visit slightly more work as you take photos and make notes either real or mental to go with the photos. I hope it doesn't detract from your enjoyment of the day.

I really like the bamboo boxes, I would have bought some too, are they designed for storing tea or for anything?

Thanks again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shelley said:

I really like the bamboo boxes, I would have bought some too, are they designed for storing tea or for anything?

You're welcome, Shelley. They had some that were a perfect fit for round Pu'er tea cakes, but the ones I got seemed to be "general purpose" boxes. Well made and only 20 RMB each (roughly $3 US.) 

637601344_IMG_20181027_104510-50.thumb.jpg.eb9993d0badffca239830deb2846561d.jpg

Well, shame on me. Just now figured out that all of these bamboo boxes are actually made for compressed Pu'er tea and sized appropriately. 

Two sizes of round ones, suitable for large and small round tea cakes 饼茶 and rectangular ones, just right for brick tea 砖茶。

1323985332_IMG_6348-60.thumb.jpg.8a42837a53dc4f672cd3ace222075e23.jpg   1617083018_IMG_20181027_103944-50.thumb.jpg.b8c2e150779c5f75c07550971e368dd4.jpg  

But that does not mean they can't be "creatively repurposed." 

• Like 1

I love your posts so much. So interesting and detailed. Really love the bamboo boxes, reminds me of the magewappa bento box I got from Japan... and the tea cakes oh dear... the pretty packaging alone would have sent me broke and citrus peel infused tea sounds amazing. Such great Christmas gifts! I even like your lunch :)

magewappa.JPG

• Like 1

Thank you, Amy. I am honored! These bamboo tea boxes do resemble bento boxes; had not thought of that. 

Last year, at the same conference center, I attended a similar expo which was dedicated to Yunnan's Pu'er tea. That was enjoyable too. Here's a link:

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/54670-yunnan-puer-tea-expo-云南普洱茶国际博览交昜会/?tab=comments#comment-421112  

• Like 1

Yes, I went to professional tea school in Kunming starting three or four years ago. Had begun informally, one-to-one with a tea master, the year before. It whetted my appetite. Graduated at the intermediate level. with an actual diploma 茶艺师,中级。After that I had additional lessons for about a year at a smaller school, founded by one of the instructors who split off and established her own tea academy. It was very interesting and very challenging, as well as lots of fun. (No English spoken, anywhere along the way.) 

The other people in my formal class were all studying tea so they could use it in their work. Some were already in the tea business, but without official qualifications. Wanted to up their game. Three local university students were auditing the course for fun plus elective credit and I was doing it as a hobby. 

In a little while, I'll go back and see if I can locate some old posts about tea school and give you links. Here's the overall collection of tea articles, though it might not be complete: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/54133-tea-articles-a-users-guide/ 

------------------------------------------------ 

Edit -- @Amy --  Looks like info on the tea courses was scattered out, not all in one place. Fragments and some photos here: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/48538-chinese-tea-中国茶/ and here: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/48844-warming-up-to-pu’er-a-beginner’s-guide-普洱茶/. Also here: https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/48134-south-yunnan-tea-mountains/ 

I would offer to go back and pull it all together into one article, but it has been too long ago and my photos are too scattered out. Sorry about that.