Chinese-Forums

Dry-fried cauliflower 干煸花菜

abcdefg

Real ham!

Real ham!

I never order anything promising "火腿“ anymore because I know it'll be just some disgusting processed meat.

By the way, I always thought 干煸 was one of those cooking styles best left to professional chefs working over high temp flames. Is this the same as restaurant fare, or is there a difference? Speaking objectively, of course.

(Without question I'd add 花椒 to the mix. A dish just doesn't seem like 干煸-whatever without 花椒!)

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 3:30 AM, 889 said:

By the way, I always thought 干煸 was one of those cooking styles best left to professional chefs working over high temp flames. Is this the same as restaurant fare, or is there a difference?

This came out pretty much the same as when I've had it in restaurants. Similar consistency and flavor. Last time was in a nearby Sichuan restaurant, a couple weeks ago. Didn't require industrial-strength fire. My home kitchen gas burners were adequate. 

On 11/18/2018 at 3:30 AM, 889 said:

(Without question I'd add 花椒 to the mix. A dish just doesn't seem like 干煸-whatever without 花椒!)

The recipes I found used either cumin seeds 孜然 or huajiao 花椒, not both together. Maybe next time I'll make it with 花椒 instead; that does sound good. This organic cauliflower is in high season now. I'm sure I'll make this dish, or something similar, once or twice more before the vegetable is all gone for the year. 

12 hours ago, mungouk said:

How come organic is 有机?  Isn't 机 usually associated with machinery?

Good question, @mungouk -- I'm not sure of the answer and I find it puzzling too. Could it have something to do with chemistry? Perhaps the lack of artificially-introduced organic compounds, such as pesticides and fertilizers. Organic farming = 有机农业。

The Baidu article about 有机花菜 makes the point that this is not really a different variety of cauliflower; it's just regular ("tight and fluffy head") cauliflower grown in a different environment which alters its shape and taste somewhat. 

I don't recall seeing this same "loose-head and long-legged" cauliflower in the U.S., at least not in supermarkets. Might exist in farmers markets, however. Afraid I just don't know. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, abcdefg said:
9 hours ago, mungouk said:

How come organic is 有机?  Isn't 机 usually associated with machinery?

Good question, @mungouk -- I'm not sure of the answer and I find it puzzling too. Could it have something to do with chemistry?

Not so sure about the origin, but 有机 is definitely used to refer to organic chemicals like benzene, toluene, etc. My guess is that term originally started in the chemistry realm.

• Like 1

Ever notice that it's always 有机花菜 you see on menus? When was the last time you saw 有机四季豆 on a menu?

That is, I wonder whether, in the case of cauliflower, 有机 has come to refer not so much to cauliflower that's been truly organically grown but to a certain type of cauliflower that resembles what consumers think is "organic cauliflower."

See, e.g., here:

https://www.guokr.com/blog/789469/

• Like 1