Chinese-Forums

Random Character of the Day

Tomsima

Couldn't find a thread like this that had been started already. I quite enjoy it when I come across a more unusual character, be it in appearance or in usage. All entries welcome, please share the context you found the character appear in. 

Characters to date:

遴樨晌冼婺傩粼懟躋㞞氕氘氚衢湁臍鎳癯蠱麾瘗櫫愨靨盥閪鴇曱甴箸鞬襠腮薨垛魘鑾靸狺翕顳戧尐斝彘齧皴壼窨聻鶼氹鬣筅搋瀫?茕䦊眚洇繭甪矧歃怹勰嬲蕤醺覡豸魆炻燹苫凣鳏乂叻贇璆頔妤腋趿哂妯娌罅璺酡腚謐憇沟祆翩奁疴色

_________

Spoiler

(lín) appears in 遴选 v. 〈wr.〉 select (sb. for a position).

Appeared in "...从通过质量和疗效一致性评价的仿制药对应的通用名药品中遴选试点品种,国家组织药品集中采购和使用试点。"

• Like 3

Not sure if this qualifies, but it's been cropping up in Singapore for a while and I only recently worked out what it was.

1414831586_Screenshot2019-01-18at01_13_26.thumb.png.7acf215cd4c0655f8569fc303636d882.png

"Huat ah!"(發呵?) is a traditional greeting in Singapore and Malaysia, apparently coming from Southern Min as an exclamation to wish oneself or others luck.  I've heard it at CNY and other festivals in SG.

It took me a while to realise that 發 is the trad version of 发... not that it really helps with translation. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked and double checked and I can't find wù 婺 that means widow on its own without shuāng 孀.

On its own it means beautiful.

Now it is quite possible my dictionary or my knowledge or both have let me down but it leaves me some what confused.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Spoiler

appears in 躋身, bumped into it in a brief article about nuclear superpowers

"中国一直保守着“不首先使用”政策。 中国拥有超过300个核武器力量,这使得中国跻身最强国家之一"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ha! You know, I'd always thought that character was 拥挤de挤 and that “挤”身 meant literally 'squeezing in amongst' or something - which luckily is close enough to what it actually means that I got away with it. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

?(㞞)

http://www.guoxuedashi.com/kangxi/pic.php?f=xdhycd&p=1237

http://www.guoxuedashi.com/kangxi/pic.php?f=dzd&p=1050

love it, really interesting!

for anyone thats interested, if you cant write the character, you can go on baidu and search the following format “上面一個尸下面一個从”

• Like 2