Chinese-Forums

Baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, buttermilk

DavyJonesLocker

Yeah I wasnt sure about them myself but once popped in the toaster it is quite nice . I reckon you could replace with frozen blueberry's etc. Might try make my own muffins if I can find the appropriate baking things here. 

I forgot to mention oddly enough finding an old fashioned apple pie round baking tray seems really hard to buy here even on the shopping apps like taobao etc . I might be just looking in the wrong place.

Also in the 4 supermarkets near me, including import ones none had an actually measure jug. I was told it was due to that Chinese by feel. Certainly noticeable in Chinese recipes with the lack of specific volumes and weights!

Good cooking can be done by feel, but good baking needs good measuring.

Just get one of those little digital measuring scales and you can use whatever container you like for measuring (the scale will let you zero out the weight of the container first).  It'll also be more accurate than a measuring jug, and produce more consistent and reliable results.

There are some “healthy” banana bread recipes out there also that I’ve tried. They’re more like “healthier” than healthy really. I’ll see if I can find the one I like and post it. It uses some wholemeal flour, some milled flaxseed as well as the normal white flour. Still uses butter. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, imron said:

Just get one of those little digital measuring scales and you can use whatever container you like for measuring (the scale will let you zero out the weight of the container first).  It'll also be more accurate than a measuring jug, and produce more consistent and reliable results.

actually that's what i have been doing for other things like my weekly 糖醋排骨, just assuming a density of water for liquids 1g = 1ml :lol:

There seems to be huge markup here in Beijing in western style cakes even the simple ones. 50kuai for 4 basic muffins in the American discount store (Sams Club) near me, (and you need a membership card). Everything in the western style (but chinese owed) bakeries seems very 'synthetic' to me.  Shanghai might be better I'd imagine 

1 hour ago, imron said:

No need to assume, that's exactly what it is and metric measurements were designed to be able to do exactly this.

Golden syrup? , treacle ? ?

If you know the density of these off the top of your head  you get the nerd of the year award haha

On 5/14/2019 at 7:53 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

Also in the 4 supermarkets near me, including import ones none had an actually measure jug. I was told it was due to that Chinese by feel. Certainly noticeable in Chinese recipes with the lack of specific volumes and weights!

Discovered by accident yesterday.

101976851_IMG_20190517_095530-900px.thumb.jpg.f2bbd17e4732baf50c13531c01b4d6ba.jpg

沃尔玛 -- 600  ml 量杯 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2019 at 12:19 PM, DavyJonesLocker said:

I only used 100g of sugar and left out the milk and 4 small bananas as recommended by the user comments.

Ripe bananas are full of sugar like you wouldn't believe, as I discovered when I found out I was diabetic — I could show you the glucose monitor graphs!

was browsing  Taobao earlier looking for muffin trays, baking materials bt decided not to buy them  (well today)

It could be a slippery slope! 

Problem is, as you will soon find in Beijing, as with other cities in China, doing cardio outside can do more harm than good. I ran 10k the other day and felt a little ill actually due to the polution wven though it look fine out, In the winter you can just forget about running outside!