Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

1 hour ago, Balthazar said:

Yep, thankfully we didn't face any issues. Arrived according to schedule on Sunday evening.

Definitely off topic, but on the plane ride from Shanghai to Helsinki I felt in the mood for a sci-fi/disaster film. Only one of the available films fit the bill, 最后的日出/"Last Sunrise" (basic plot: the sun disappears, not good for our planet). My mind was blown when, in the midst of chaos, looting and societal collapse, a product placement for Corona Extra appeared.

(The film itself was a big disappointment, by the way.)

• Like 2

We've not had the one in one out thing here yet but our eldest has just got back from her grandparents where she spent New Year and a condition of that was we agreed to self-quarantine for a fortnight. The village shop is delivering, fortunately.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StChris said:

one of the men let out a massive sneeze

This is reason why masks can be helpful.  i.e., The virus is unlikely to be wafting in the air when you take a walk in the park, but it can help when someone sneezes.

StChris - Thank you for your wonderful story!!!  The details you gave brought the story to life, i.e., mentioning the good humor of the temperature takers, the street stall and other things helped us (outside of China) get a sense of the situation.  The pictures added much too.  

“零?怎么可能, 我还没死呢!”

It's good you got a reading the 2nd time, otherwise it might be thought you were a zombie (but I realize that's from another movie....) 哈哈 (gallows humor).

births and divorces in the coming

Toastmasters speaking clubs in China started on-line meetings.  Normally clubs there have face-to-face meetings once/week.  However in a recent on-line meeting, a friend said a participant suggested they do on-line meetings every other day.  He said "that way we won't need to talk to our families."  (they all want a break from talking with the same people everyday).  

• Like 1

For a highly credible up-to-date US perspective from the  Centers for Disease Control:  https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6905e1.htm 

One conclusion:  "It is unclear how this virus will impact the U.S. over time.  For the general population, who are unlikely to be exposed to this virus at the current time, the immediate health risk from 2019-nCoV is considered low."

I respect CDC highly.  

A different article I read mentioned Africa as a potential source for the start of a pandemic, i.e., if it starts spreading there from Chinese returnees, most African countries have little infrastructure to stop it.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vellocet said:

And in today's news, I wanted to go out today and spend the day on my ebike, riding around town, taking photos, videos, and generally being outside the house.  I wake up and find that my wife has already used the permission slip to exit the apartment complex and buy water.  Now I'm stuck in here until Friday.

1. We can buy water from two shops inside the complex.  

2. We already have water.

#justcoronavirusthings

Hmmm, my husband wants to go out on his bike, ride around town, take photos, videos and generally be outside in our virus stricken city. He might even chat with someone. Hmmm, if I go buy some water, use the permission slip, he'll be stuck inside - safe. We can always use water.

#justchinesewiveswayofthinking

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TheWind said:

are all cities & communities implementing this "exit once per day" policy? They just started this with our community.  

Doesn't seem to be in place in Beijing as far as I can see. I don't know it's a local government policy or just 保安 implementing there own measures. 

5 hours ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Doesn't seem to be in place in Beijing as far as I can see. I don't know it's a local government policy or just 保安 implementing there own measures. 

Can also confirm not in place here yet. However, our neighbouring apartment complex just implemented a name badge system for those living in the community. If you don’t have a badge (and this don’t live there) you can’t come inside. Temperature checks the same for those entering. 

My apartment has stopped all DiDi, kuaidi, Waimai drivers coming in. 

Was talking to my sister in the US, telling her about the UK saying Brits should leave China and the American Evac flights from Wuhan. Her reply: "I think they should just stay in China, we don't want them, don't bring the disease here". Lol, thats from a very typical American.

Virgin Atlantic's suspended Heathrow-Shanghai flights out to the end of March, while Saudi Arabia is saying that even it's own nationals can't come in if they've been to China. US banning foreign nationals who've been to China, so that's another route out closed off.

15 minutes ago, suMMit said:

Was talking to my sister in the US, telling her about the UK saying Brits should leave China and the American Evac flights from Wuhan. Her reply: "I think they should just stay in China, we don't want them, don't bring the disease here". Lol, thats from a very typical American.

To me this is perfectly understandable. Imagine they would evacuate people from an Ebola epidemic and bring them back to the city you live in. I would assume, you would feel somewhat uncomfortable (?) Even though this is not Ebola, everyone has a different threshold of concern/fear...

• Like 2

As to people who "don't want the disease here," I don't think we've mentioned yet that Taiwan is barring entry to all foreigners who've recently been in China, including Hong Kong and Macau. (Those using HK/Macau travel documents can enter, but will be subject to a 14-day quarantine.) This of course in addition to Hong Kong's decision to impose a 14-day quarantine on anyone entering from the Mainland, including HK residents.

• Like 2

I don't know how representative they are, but people I know in China seem devastated by the death of the whistle-blower doctor tonight.

Also, anyone else following Caixin's English language reporting? I found this more detailed than what I've read elsewhere: https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-02-06/reporters-notebook-we-interview-front-line-coronavirus-doctor-101512020.html

• Like 1