Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

On 2/8/2020 at 9:40 AM, Ruben von Zwack said:

omnipresent bigotry towards Chinese

in the US seems to be mainly by Chinese themselves.  2 US-based Chinese professional organizations I'm involved with cancelled dinners 3 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago.   These dinners were in the US (if Americans had done so, they would have been labeled as racist).  US-based Chinese have told me they won't go to Chinese restaurants or stores (I've heard no Americans say this, although I expect many may feel this way too).  Also, I believe Hong Kong is the only country with healthcare workers striking over permissive rules in letting in people from the mainland.  

The point is that I don't think it's racism that is driving people's action.  The HKers feelings are understandable - as are others - it's an uncertain situation that scares people.  

It is unfortunate, but most cases are originating from China and caution is appropriate.  Philadelphia just announced 7 cases.  6 had had contact with a visitor from Shanghai.  There will likely be many more cases like this scattered around the globe.     

There are some disturbing ones as well. Over the weekend, 5 Britons were found to have acquired the virus at a ski resort in France while they met with another Briton who had visited Singapore.   https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/08/who-cautions-coronavirus-transmission-could-increase-beyond-china/    I wonder how many of these indirect situations will occur. 

In terms of age of those most effected, data on large #s of people are unavailable.  A 29 Jan study in the NEJM found that the median age of infection was 59 for the 425 first cases of the disease.  While this could mean that older people become infected more easily, it could also mean that older people were in situations in which they got infected (i.e., visiting the market & in settings with lots of other adults).  In addition, with these data, you'd expect at least 50% of the deaths to be in those above 59 years gold.  We need to see data from more cases to more fully understand the clinical course of the disease.      

On 2/7/2020 at 9:02 PM, Jim said:

so repeated/ongoing exposure puts you at risk of a much more serious infection.

Yes and no.  You need a certain (unknown) level of exposure to become infected.  However, once you have the disease, it is self-sustaining until your immune system overcomes it.  A 2nd exposure once you have the disease is unlikely to effect the course of the disease.  

• Like 4

@Tomsima I realise you went from that small city to the airport and not a tour of wuhan. But, from what you saw on your way out , how bad do you think it might  be in Wuhan or in Hubei? Did you get the feeling it was worse than what we know? Your description of the hospital scene sounds like it is.

Im glad you got out safely.

An American colleague of mine was sucessfully evacuated with his young child a few days ago. His wife was unfortunately not elegible. She stayed behind in Wuhan 市 with her father. Her father died yesterday of the virus. He's working with the state dept to try and get her out, but for now she is in Wuhan alone. It doesnt get much more heart wrenching.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, StChris said:

It felt great to leave my apartment, have a walk around and breathe some fresh air after almost a week of being stuck inside.

I go for a walk every day otherwise I go crazy. Where I live is sparsely populated by Chinese standards so some days I barely see anyone. I don’t know how people I know stay inside for several days. I don’t think they even exercise inside. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roddy said:

@js6426 are you still in Harbin? How are you getting on?

No, we are in Cambodia at the moment.  We were supposed to head back around the 22nd, which was when uni starts up again.  However, HIT have now said that the earliest they will restart is March 1, but we are to wait for a further announcement before heading back.  Initially we were told that we weren't allowed to return to the campus before they gave us a solid date, but the last selection of info they sent us (along with a commitment we had to sign) said that we are not even allowed to return to China before the date they will give us.  Thankfully we got close to a full refund for our flights, so we are just enjoying a slightly extended holiday with friends and family here. 

Judging by what I have been reading in this thread and have heard from other friends up in Harbin, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up being here quite a bit longer than an extra week!  So far Cambodia only has one case, although I find that really hard to believe.  The health minister here has reassured everyone that the virus won't spread, because the country is too hot and will kill the virus.  It's remarkable really, especially in light of the fact that the human body is hotter than Cambodia...  If/when it does spread here, I imagine we might actually be safer in China, as the healthcare system here has absolutely no way of coping with coronavirus. 

• Like 2

I am putting this here as I think it comes under the section general discussion.

Today whilst out shopping, came across my first face mask wearing person, yes she was chinese, one of our many students at the university I am guessing. 

The thing was the way she was wearing it was more of a fashion accessory than to prevent contamination. It was just a regular mask, not the recommended N95 version. Her nose was completely out of the mask and it was so loose round her mouth we could see her lips move as she chatted on her hands free.

I am sort of used to seeing this when being used against pollution but not something serious like disease. I wondered what was the point and did she actually even care?

Is it merely paying lip service to be seen to be conforming or did she just not realise the mistake she was making?

Edited by Shelley
Typo

8 minutes ago, Shelley said:

It was just a regular mask, not the recommended N65 version. Her nose was completely out of the mask and it was so loose round her mouth we could see her lips move as she chatted on her hands free.

I am sort of used to seeing this when being used against pollution but not something serious like disease. I wondered what was the point and did she actually even care?

N95.

Lots of people don't know how to fit the masks properly (even the "normal", surgical ones). At the airport in Shanghai I saw several people that didn't cover their nose (and some who kept lifting the mask to scratch their nose and other areas of the face).

This is one of the reasons the WHO as well as many national governments recommend that those who aren't infected don't wear masks.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:21 PM, 889 said:

Did you have any sense that other countries were making similar out-reach efforts?

Didnt come across any Americans, but there was a big Australian effort going on, flying to Darwin I think it was. Here was the sign for information on the flight:

IMG_20200208_190504.jpg

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3050354/coronavirus-hubei-province-reports-sharp-spike-new-confirmed

big jump in confirmed diagnosis of cases of nearly 15 000 yesterday. 

Not really surprised though. What I would be interested in are the trends in numbers from other provinces.

From today’s BBC report, a lot of the rise might be due to the definition of disease. 

Hubei has started using a broader definition to diagnose people - which accounts for much of the rise in cases.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51482994

On 2/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, js6426 said:

Judging by what I have been reading in this thread and have heard from other friends up in Harbin, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up being here quite a bit longer than an extra week!

how long does your visa last for?

1 hour ago, Flickserve said:
On 2/11/2020 at 10:17 PM, js6426 said:

Judging by what I have been reading in this thread and have heard from other friends up in Harbin, it wouldn't surprise me if we end up being here quite a bit longer than an extra week!

how long does your visa last for?

My visa for Cambodia runs out on March 11, but I can just do a border run and get another tourist visa.  The border crossing I would use to do that is only a couple of hours away, so not a huge deal.  In theory I can then extend that visa for a further month, although they might give me a bit of hassle about it as that will be 4 months on a tourist visa! 

12 minutes ago, js6426 said:

although they might give me a bit of hassle about it as that will be 4 months on a tourist visa!

i used to do this all the time in japan, after about the 5th time i got lectured by a border agent about how i needed to get a more appropriate visa, but i’m sure you’ll be fine just doing it once.

2 hours ago, dtcamero said:
3 hours ago, js6426 said:

although they might give me a bit of hassle about it as that will be 4 months on a tourist visa!

i used to do this all the time in japan, after about the 5th time i got lectured by a border agent about how i needed to get a more appropriate visa, but i’m sure you’ll be fine just doing it once.

Yeah theoretically it should be ok, it's just that they have revamped the visa situation here recently and they are cracking down on this sort of thing.  A few years back it wouldn't have been an issue at all!