Chinese-Forums

HSK 3.0 ... new, new HSK?

realmayo

Just to be clear on the two-year thing... there is no expiry date for the certificate itself, isn't that right? 

The two year limitation is just an entrance requirement of universities.

According to the English FAQ (Section VI, Test Scores):

3. Validity period of score report

The test result is a long term available, but the score report to be used for the application to Chinese universities and colleges is valid within two years (from the test date).

• Like 1

Worth waiting for this or just doing current HSK 5? 

I feel like sometimes they say a date (in this case “2020”) then whatever it is actually happens years and years later. 

I'd register for what's available when you're ready to register for it, it's not worth hanging around for. 

There's an advantage to taking soon disappearing exams, though - you get to hang around on here for the next decade going "Oooh, it's a lot easier than it was in my day.... the old HSK listening, recorded on a wax cylinder, it was...  you had to do the writing with a brush..."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is great news if you ask me, and will hopefully bring a bit more prestige to the certificate as a true language qualification.

I would like to hope it will push up the expectations that beginners have for themselves. There are way too many people on social media sharing their 'amazing' result in HSK 1/2/3, but you can't blame them for thinking they're already 'halfway to fluency' when looking at the grading system. At least if that goes up to nine, students might only start sharing their great progress at around HSK 4 or 5, which is actually something worth sharing.

I have ordered the book with the new HSK vocabulary from Purple Culture. It will arrive in 12-19*. If enough people are interested I'll type it up and post it on this forum if the word list hasn't "leaked" by then.

Spoiler

spacer.png

The author of that book is the same person, 刘英林,who also wrote the essay that covers the new HSK structure.

On 5/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, 大块头 said:

*: Probably longer, but didn't want to bother paying an extra $46 (or twice what the book costs).

Also, @imron your "HSK6 gets you half way ..." blogpost will need to be updated.

1 hour ago, Weyland said:

Also, @imron your "HSK6 gets you half way ..." blogpost will need to be updated.

"HSK9 gets you 55% of the way" 

? Joking aside. I really hope that it's set up so level 9 is actually a fairly advanced level. I say this as someone who has passed HSK6 but is still terrible at Chinese. 

If "the way" is a constant variable then completing HSK9 would actually get you 110% if the way

The ‘way’ is defined in the article as approximately one unknown character per page of a novel.  That’s an arbitrary value, but people can choose whatever value works for them and do the math themselves. 

This puts HSK9 at about 3/4 of the way there. 

It’s all ballpark figures only, but it should hold to be generally correct. 

Just now, mungouk said:

it appears you can download the MP3 content

I'm aware. Though if I want to have the actual word lists; I'll still need a physical copy. Hopefully the words are organized by HSK level as opposed to alphabetically.

Hopefully the words are organized by HSK level as opposed to alphabetically.

Well, the audio is arranged alphabetically by pinyin, which doesn't seem very helpful given the number of words.

extract 01 汉语国际教育用词语声调组合及轻重音格式实用手册1-200.mp3

1012319731_Screenshot2020-05-24at11_55_06.thumb.png.d79d253e5e681c7d84c83d69d20b02c9.png

(And so on up to word #11092.)

Were the HSK levels already decided when this book was published in 2019?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mungouk said:

Were the HSK levels already decided when this book was published in 2019?  

The guy spearheading the new HSK project (刘英林) happened to have published that book in 2019 with a vocabulary of 11,092 words and the new HSK will have also have exactly 11,092 words. I just put two and two together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That list of 11092 words seems to be somewhat older; from this title on Google Books:

image.thumb.png.53812ee7ebe8c8f8b46fe80e633d3917.png

So I wouldn't necessarily assume that it's the same, unless they're planning to use a 10-year-old word list without any changes. (which I guess they could for silly reasons of internal Hanban politics, but I'm skeptical)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Weyland said:

The guy spearheading the new HSK project (刘英林) happened to have published that book in 2019 with a vocabulary of 11,092 words and the new HSK will have also have exactly 11,092 words. I just put two and two together.

@Weyland nice visualization, and props for catching on to the parallel with that book.

9 hours ago, Weyland said:

If enough people are interested I'll type it up and post it on this forum if the word list hasn't "leaked" by then.

I'd guess that there would be very strong interest. The final HSK word list will probably be tweaked a bit before it's officially published, but it's better than nothing in the interim. If you posted pictures or scans of the index pages that would allow others to help you typing/OCRing the list.

@mikelove I saw your post on Twitter asking for the wordlist. Just wanted to make sure you saw this. Haha, I guess you found out too.

• Like 1

Actually in the article on the new HSK linked earlier (which I should have read before my last post) they mention the original source of that 11092 figure:

1 .3 第 三 阶 段

2007我们自发组建多学科专家课题组课题组得到教育部社科司和国家汉办大力 支持直接挂靠在国家汉办刘英林被委任为课题组组长和首席专家和马箭飞研发主编的 汉 语 国 际 教 育 用 音 节 汉 字 词 汇 等 级 划 分 》(以 下 简 称 等 级 划 分 》),2010 年 通 过 国 家 语 委 语 言文字规范(标准)审定委员会审定。《等级划分依据国家的需要和汉语的独特性敢为人 先历史上首次引入音节作为突破口以汉字为核心开创我国汉语国际教育新学科音节汉 字 词 汇 第 一 个 三 维 基 准 国 家 标 准 具 有 开 拓 性 意 义 音 节 总 量 1110  汉 字 总 量 3000   词汇总量11092这是经过18年艰苦努力迈出的走向全球化之路的重要一步我们撰 写 的 等 级 划 分 词 条 2017 年 入 选 中 国 大 百 科 全 书 》(第 三 版 )。

My impression (and maybe people with better Chinese than mine can parse this in more detail, there's an awful lot of forward-looking 'this is all just so wonderful!' furthering-the-cause-of-international-Chinese-education boilerplate) is this whole thing is more of an outline / design brief than a precisely enumerated list of standards; i.e., the list of 11092 words they came out with in 2010 was a good benchmark for roughly what your vocabulary ought to be after HSK 9, but the fact that they're putting down 11092 in the table doesn't mean it's going to be those exact 11092. (the fact that the section of the table 7-9 lumps them all together and doesn't even try to break them out into 7/8/9 would seem to support that theory)

But basically I don't think this is as far along as we're hoping it is; I imagine it could be a year or two before they even publish a finalized word list. (though of course personally I'd love to have it in hand sooner since it'll be great for business)