Chinese-Forums

HSK 3.0 ... new, new HSK?

realmayo

I did another unboxing video here for the HSK7-9 Quick Vocabulary Handbook 《词汇速记速练手册》 (these are very new!):

• There are two volumes 上册 and 下册.
  • There are 94 units, with each unit containing 60 vocabulary (the last one contains 56 words).  In total that's 5636 words.  The words are in alphabetical order according to pinyin.
  • Every unit splits into three parts of 20 vocabulary.  English definitions are example sentences are given for each word.
  • A select few words (maybe 6 per unit) will be "focus words", and given additional explanation (in Chinese) and example sentences.
  • The exercises are basically all "fill in the blank" exercises.

There's really very little else to this.

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2024 at 2:21 PM, Elliott Jones said:

the math on how much overlap there is between the HSK 3.0 levels 1 through 9 vocabulary and the BCT (Business Chinese Test)

Okay I worked it out.

If my math is correct (and the wordlists I'm using are correct) then 3533 of the 4600 BCT level A and B words are present in the HSK 3.0 levels 7-9.

Breaking it down by level:

• 308 of them are present in HSK 3.0 level 1
  • 475 of them are present in HSK 3.0 level 2
  • 658 of them are present in HSK 3.0 level 3
  • 596 of them are present in HSK 3.0 level 4
  • 453 of them are present in HSK 3.0 level 5
  • 264 of them are present in HSK 3.0 level 6
  • 779 of them are present in HSK 3.0 level 7-9

So if you've already passed HSK 3.0 level 9 (has anyone passed that yet?), you are probably only around 1000 new words away from passing BCT level B.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 7:23 AM, TaxiAsh said:

I did HSK4 yesterday... not sure if it is the 3.0 or not. 

This raises an interesting question. How will we know if someone's HSK Level 4 certificate is based on HSK 2.0 or HSK 3.0?

There is a 2004 cumulative word difference between Level 4 of the HSK 2.0 and 3.0, wildly different levels of ability.

Maybe we judge based on date of test, but we don't actually know exactly when the HSK 3.0 word lists will start to be used, right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2024 at 10:02 AM, Elliott Jones said:

This raises an interesting question. How will we know if someone's HSK Level 4 certificate is based on HSK 2.0 or HSK 3.0?

There is a 2004 cumulative word difference between Level 4 of the HSK 2.0 and 3.0, wildly different levels of ability.

Maybe we judge based on date of test, but we don't actually know exactly when the HSK 3.0 word lists will start to be used, right?

I'm still not sure which I did. I did it in a university in England. 

I made a short video of my last couple of weeks before them. 

https://youtu.be/gtp5JoiNiXk?feature=shared

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2024 at 10:02 AM, Elliott Jones said:

I guess the difference between the two will be more than just words! That's to say, if you pass 2.0-HSK4, then learn 2004 new words, then take the 3.0-HSK4, you'll fail.

Similarly with the Business Chinese test, there's a difference between knowing for instance how 莫非 is used versus knowing the difference between 国债 and 债券.