Chinese-Forums

Chinese girls vs. Taiwanese girls

pookie

As it's a harmonised society it's very easy to see stereotypes in China and to be treated as a stereotype. I don't think we really need statistics for this situation. Being in a country for a few years can easily show you the general tendencies. If you have a Laowai face just go to the street and say a few Chinese words like "ni hao" and everyone will say "Your Chinese is very good!!!" then the next sentence would be "How long have you been in China?" and no matter what you say the will say " Oh it's such a short time but your Chinese is so good!" This is an example of the stereotype of being polite to a Laowai. I think it's a very positive stereotype and encourages us to nuli de study.

I don't think we really need statistics for this situation.

My education taught me, you do need.

The fact that how our educations can make us define good and bad is also a part of a very big stereotype.

Wikipedia as well as I certainly will not agree with this, for values are taught in many of education systems.

I don't think we really need statistics for this situation.

My education taught me, you do need.

then I guess if you go to a place like this picture you'll need to examin every single plant there and compare the statistics so that you can reach the fact that this is a corn farm. I think it will take a long time.

Wikipedia as well as I certainly will not agree with this, for values are taught in many of education systems.

Do you mean different values are taught in different systems?

3268_thumb.attach

You seem to misunderstand statistics.

The picture you draw, of having some experience with some girls and judging on that basis, is also statistics - but wrongly informed, on the basis of a sample that's too small.

That is like looking at a few plants, finding they are corn, and judging that the field is a corn field.

In fact, with more data - statistics, done the proper way - you may have to find that those corn stalks just happened to be there (and maybe, were noticeable), but are not representative of the whole field.

Same here. Stereotypes can tell you something, of course, and they are real quick. They may be based on an average, in which case there may be something to say for them. Only too often, however, stereotypes are based on a few highly noticeable outliers, and the average/normal/... is very different.

That's exactly what makes this thread a bit of fun, but to be taken with a pound of salt. From my perspective, for example, it would seem that all Chinese are totally conservative, especially when it comes to social relations. But then, ask the people here what they think Shanghainese (young) people are like, and they also have stereotypes... The closer you look, the more diversity you see.

Without statistics, you can't even talk about an average or a trend, only some people's experiences. And those experiences are necessarily skewed, depending on your sample...

The picture you draw, of having some experience with some girls and judging on that basis, is also statistics

I didn't say anything directly about the Chinese girls, my posts are about materialism in the Chinese society. Being in China for a few years talking to many Chinese people who also happen to know many other Chinese people and can tell you their experiences as well, watching the TV and engaging in the society is not just a few girls.

then I guess if you go to a place like this picture you'll need to examin every single plant there and compare the statistics so that you can reach the fact that this is a corn farm. I think it will take a long time.

Before I answer your question, I have to say I feel very upset that you made an analogy between Chinese girls and corns. I don't like that. I think we are more spiritual than corns. We are not plants, and just because you can tell from the appearance that certain girl is Chinese (I can't do that, though) doesn't mean that she will think in the ways that other Chinese girls would.

Do you mean different values are taught in different systems?
I have noticed that in my country the focus of education was on endividuality and what makes you unique but in here it is on how you should try to be like everyone else.

Quoted from your own post. So have you learnt to treat each and every person individually?

Before I answer your question, I have to say I feel very upset that you made an analogy between Chinese girls and corns.

may I ask how you reached that conclusion? I think we were talking about the usage of statistics.

If your math teacher says:

2 people + 3 people = 5 people

2 dogs+ 3 dogs= 5 dogs

Does he mean that people are dogs?

may I ask how you reached that conclusion? I think we were talking about the usage of statistics.

2 dogs+ 3 dogs= 5 dogs

And I assume that you know that different methods of sampling and experiments are used in statistics for different subjects. You need at least a double-blind and randomised experiment to tell whether a new medicine is really effective. But you don't need to do that to tell whether the fruit you have in your hand is an apple or an orange.

(I'm sorry if it's too much out of the topic)

Xiaocai don't make it complicated just answer this question:

2 dogs+ 3 dogs= 5 dogs

I also had a question for you in post #51, maybe you want to answer me first.

And dear rezaf, there is nothing wrong for a maths teacher asking those questions. But we are not talking about simple additions here are we? See how the different the values we hold? Let your girlfriend have a read of these and she may come up with something else.

By the way, I don't like over-simplifying matters, so I don't feel like to answer your question at all. :D

Well every discussion has different logical layers that can be analysed but I agree it's too much out of the topic. A summary of what happened is that I suggested that the Chinese society in general is more focused on earthly life(materialism) than some other societies that I have seen.