Chinese-Forums

Chinese girls vs. Taiwanese girls

pookie

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but Ignorance is different from racism.

LOL, that was just a random question that came to me. I always find white people associated with geographical ignorance. Talk about generalisation here. That particular instance just proved me right. The white lady however was pretty sociable, trying to hold a conversation with a total stranger. Nothing racist about her.

Renzhe I'm exactly talking about deductive reasoning. You and Shitong have conclusions about me talking about Chinese women being corns. In order to prove that, you should show me that somewhere in the discussion I mentioned something about Chinese women as my base but you guys make conclusions based on things that have not been said. I mentioned the tendency of Chinese culture towards materialism and I think I have been here for long enough to say that and I have mentioned some examples in my previous posts but I do not give the right to myself to talk about Chinese women as it's a complicated matter and needs to be analysed more carefully. You guys are flat wrong about what the corn thing is targetting at. I think you should read the posts more carefully. Shitong and Renzhe you have failed in quoting from my posts. Does it mean that you have accepted you were wrong?

OK rezaf.

I'm not saying that you're comparing Chinese or Taiwanese girls to corn directly, I'm saying that your example was extremely poor. Lets take a look at your posts.. and I'm sorry but I dont have time for them all.

I wanted to tell myself that stereotypes don't exist but here I have learned that stereotypes are very REAL. This is what keeps the society together. Gives you an identity. Stereotype in a western society might mean racism but in here it is identity and it doesn't necesserily mean something bad. We all need an identity, it's either from inside ourselves or from the society. I have noticed that in my country the focus of education was on endividuality and what makes you unique but in here it is on how you should try to be like everyone else. Both systems have their pros and cons but generalisation and stereotypes play an important roll in the second system. I'm simply saying my observation without my personal feelings and I'm not trying to say who is the bad guy and who is the good guy.

1) There is a difference between a steriotype, a generalisation, an overgeneralisation and racism.

A stereotype is a bad thing because this is taking a very large group and labeling it as the same when it's inevitable it's not. wiki

A generalisation is not necessarily a bad thing. A generalisation about a corn field is fair enough, most people will assume it is and be right, but a generalisation about people can be moving towards something unfair (like a stereotype or an over generalisation) see here

An overgeneralisation is similar to a stereotype in that you're going beyond the bounds of generalisation to something that's just plain wrong (like a stereotype).

Racism is when you take a group which doesn't belong to your own and embue it with a characteristic which is undesireable or more desirable (positive racism), see here

So, by saying:

A summary of what happened is that I suggested that the Chinese society in general is more focused on earthly life(materialism) than some other societies that I have seen.

You're being racist. You're embuing another "group" with some special characteristic which you find less in your own "group"

I didn't say anything directly about the Chinese girls, my posts are about materialism in the Chinese society.

You're being racist. You're embuing another "group" with some special characteristic which you find less in your own "group"

saying:

Being in a country for a few years can easily show you the general tendencies.

Is also racist, IMO.

you guys make conclusions based on things that have not been said.

That's is inductive reasoning.

I mentioned the tendency of Chinese culture towards materialism and I think I have been here for long enough to say that and I have mentioned some examples in my previous posts

This is also inductive reasoning.

You guys are flat wrong about what the corn thing is targetting at.

The corn thing is an example of a generalisation that works. The point is that if generalisations work on corn, then they can also work for other domains. This is essentially generalising about generalisations.

And this is also inductive reasoning.

But honestly, there is little point about a discussion on formal logic in a thread which is meant for people to share their sexual anecdotes and make sweeping generalisations about women, Chinese people, Taiwanese people, and even corn. I ignored that thread for years, but couldn't resist it when people tried to add a "scientific" quality to what is basically a pub discussion after a football game. So I'm out, have fun with your... corn :wink: