Chinese-Forums

Chinese Film Transcripts

45rob54

You are giving up to early, all you have to do is ask or google.

OK, you've got the files, which you can use as subtitles in different programs. I am kind of busy right now to explain what you can do with the files but please post them here as attachments, I will convert them to text or word documents and republish.

EDIT:

I have attached the files for you as text. The encoding is Unicode, so notepad may not work, if you don't change the font setting, try wordpad or MS Word.

Hua Mulan CD1.chs.txt

Hua Mulan CD2.chs.txt

Sorry, I was starting to get frustrated. Both files are attached. I didn't know they could be used in programs. I was just looking for something to print out to look at while watching the show to help when I get to parts that I can't understand.

花木兰.Mulan.1998.DVDRip.XviD.DualAudio.iNT-CNXP-CD1.chs.srt

花木兰.Mulan.1998.DVDRip.XviD.DualAudio.iNT-CNXP-CD2.chs.srt

You can also install a decent video player, like VLC, which can show the subtitles on top of the movie, assuming that you're playing the movie on your computer.

Otherwise, atitarev has provided the text version of the subtitles, which you can print.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :clap

I'm really not computer illiterate, but different file types and manipulating them, etc. confuses me.

I played around with Word and manipulated the formatting a little (which was itself a challenge for me) so now, at least for me, it should be a little easier to use. I will attach the files here, if that's ok, in case its useful for someone else.

It seems the subtitles are nearly word for word too, at least with as much of it as I had time to listen to today.

Does anyone know if the Mandarin on the U.S. released Disney version is standard mandarin? Or more from a different region or accent? Looking at the text, I know most of the characters, but there is no way I would be able to figure out what they are saying just by listening.

Copy of mulan-text.doc

Copy of mulan-text2.doc

You are welcome. Didn't you say they speak slowly and clearly?

No, it's standard Mandarin, just too fast perhaps. Keep at it (listening and reading). You need A LOT of practice to be able to follow movies. This particular cartoon has slower and faster parts, you'll find it easier to listen and follow the slower parts and skip the fast dialogues. You could perhaps, break up your watching into fragments and use the pause button a lot.

Like you said, some parts seem slow and others are fast. Just watching a little of it a few days ago I could make out parts of what they were saying and it wasn't just a big blur of sound. It seems like a good place to start.

I played around with pausing and rewinding slightly - I think I will be doing that a lot!

I'm glad to hear its standard mandarin! I thought so, but I wanted to make sure. A few phrases here and then went right past me, so I thought maybe they were pronounced some things differently.

I think part of the problem with listening is that on audio materials made for learning a language the people speak very properly and correctly but on real movies, tv, etc. they talk like real people so its harder, at least for me, to understand.

Renzhe can give you more hints on how to learn Chinese from movies and TV series as I am still learning and honestly, I haven't watched enough Chinese drama yet to say if it's working or not but I did watch a few and I can say, it takes time, with or without Chinese subtitles but the Chinese subtitles do help, especially if your read them in advance.

Chinese is a language that takes time before it "clicks". It is very difficult to dissect it "on the fly", while listening, and re-order it in your head. You pretty much have to understand it from the start, and this is a skill that takes time to develop.

But watching TV and movies does indeed help. I remember starting with this (which was way too hard in retrospect), and feeling totally and utterly worthless. Many months of watching later, and I have no problem following. So exposure is really the best way.

• 1 month later...