Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship Results - 2014

haoyu

This extra allowance used to be quite "extravagant" years back, esp. just being a student...the RMB was quite weak to the dollar. But with the continuous rising costs in China and the strengthening of the RMB, it really is nothing much anymore. You can get a Vespa-style bike for about 2500 or less so that's nice and affordable enough to get.

Ladyferoz - Thanks, it would be great to know more about what the bonding agreements are like in other countries. Yeah, that was more than what I personally needed (I only ever go out a few times a month if at all, and I don't spend a lot when I do go out).

But last year when I was on the Confucius scholarship I did not sign a bonding agreement.  So I had to live off the 1400 rmb allowance + some part-time job + my savings! :( It was not easy and I had to make a few diet-related sacrifices and I think that's the worst type of sacrifice: when you have to buy cheaper foods. We wanted to join the gym but we couldn't even afford that on our allowance. But it's not all that bad. If you don't go out much and you don't spend when you do go out, you can actually save even 1000rmb a month if you know how to budget and you are disciplined. Same stuff you'd do if you were at home: buy stuff at the market, cook at home, store stuff (including leftovers) in the fridge, etc.  Stay away from students who are always broke and asking you for money. :P

I think one of the worst things about the CSC experience is exactly that: budgeting. Somehow people from the same country have this notion that their compatriots are family members that you can always ask money from.  It goes both ways I suppose; you assume that your compatriot has your back. Just try to live within your means and right from the start, do not lend money to anyone. Because if things get bad you will need enough 'emergency funds' in your bank account.

Hey! I am also on Language Program at BLCU!

All the scholarships for Romanians in the bilateral agreement have already been announced for two weeks.

I am looking forward to find friends at BLCU and hopefuly to share information about accommodation :D 

1) What is your native country? Romania
2) Where did you apply? Romanian Ministry of Education - Agency for Scholarships
3) When did you apply?  March 2014
4) When was the deadline? March 31st
5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.
6) What program did you apply for? Chinese Language Program
7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1.Tsinghua 2.Pekin 3.BLCU
8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No. This is my first time
9) What agency number did you use? Chinese Embassy
10) Where did you get your physical done? Local small hospital
11) Did you get your documents notarized? Some of them

Result (Updating):

12) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? yes
13) Did you receive any university admission letters (prior to receiving a scholarship)? Yes, from BLCU
14) How were you notified? by the Romanian Agency for Scholarships
15) When were you accepted/rejected?  17th july 2014
16) What school and program were you accepted to? BLCU - Language Program - 1 year
  • Helpful?
  • rep_up.png
  •  
  • rep_down.png
  •  
  •  

Pavidevi - We had this discussion quite recently on this thread, where others have mentioned that it is not legal for students to have a job or do part-time work in China. It is possible to do internships because your school might be aware of this and they can even help you find internship placements during the holidays.  But they will usually do it to help you with experience and/or credits. These internships that the school will help you get is not necessarily a paying gig. So it is up to you to negotiate with the bosses if you do want to get paid. But the Chinese students will work for free so that should give you an idea of the competition in store.

I personally believe it's okay to do 'odd jobs' - Jobs such as tutoring, DJ-ing at clubs, modelling or being part of a commercial or movie. You get paid the same day, no contracts.

What you might be in trouble for is going to work (even part-time work) when you are supposed to be attending classes. Some schools are so strict that if they find out that you've been skipping classes to go to work, they might revoke your visa...and you will have to leave the country. Don't be too quick to assume that the company you work for who claims that they will provide you with a work visa will keep their word.

If you are a Masters or PhD student, you can earn extra cash by helping your professors with research. They can pay quite a bit.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. There are those here who personally know people who have been deported, perhaps they will be able to share the case with you of why or how that happened.

@shuoshuo Thank you. I am going to do Doctoal Degree(Ph.D) in Zhejiang university. And i have worked as a Systems Engineer in a MNC(TCS) for 2 years.

May be to my knowledge the allowance provided by the csc is not enough to lead ur life in china. So i want to find a decent job in the university itself.

Do i get any teaching job with my qualifications if i try?

Pavidevi - You mean be employed by the same school that you are a scholarship student in? If you are on a student visa, employment is restricted to internships and certain part-time jobs that the school can assign you to. Teaching in the same school would be considered a full-time job, that would require a working visa. So as far as I know, it will not be possible.

• New Members

Hi, im newbie here

because I am just graduated from high school last month

and i am looking for scholarship to at csc

can anybody help me? but i think its too late........ is it possible to join in the next year? i mean on 2015

i am looking for a year basic chinese language 

its nice to know u people ^^

@ grawrt

Sure, no problem at all! :)  All the contact information for international students at BLCU are here: http://admission.blcu.edu.cn/en/Info.aspx?m=20140403155301170456

I, personally, sent an e-mail at zhaosh5@blcu.edu.cn, which is for scholarship students, but I got my replies from zhaosh1@blcu.edu.cn because, as they informed me, the staff responsible for the scholarship students are on summer vacations now. So, you can send at the zhaosh1@blcu.edu.cn from the start! I send an e-mail in English and they replied back in English! They were extremely polite and helpful! :)  Hope you will find your answers!

@ Shuoshuo

That's great that you get extra money!! :)  However, I have heard that you can do just fine even with only 1400 RMB, if you spend them rationally of course! :P And you get government favor for returning back??  WOW!! :lol:  That's so great for you!! In which country do you live so as for me to come after graduation?? hahahahaa :P  Because if I return to my country, then I better start crying.. :P  The situation here, in Greece, is rediculous... Wages in the same level of that of the developing countries (490 Euros) and product prices at the same level as those of Northern Europe, where they get 4 times our basic wages... :evil:  Have you heard any more rediculous than that??? If you are sad and you want to laugh, just look at the life and the hilarious conditions of life in Greece. It will undoubtedly make you laugh like crazy... :wall  Anyway, if you want to visit Greece for holidays do so, since it's an amazingly beautiful country, but please never consider living there... Even the Greeks with education and ambitions who want to do something good in their life, as myself, are trying to leave the country by any means.. Extremely sad I know, but unfortunately that's the truth :wall

Song Hu - Yes, I'm certain people can manage fine with 1400RMB. When that was my only allowance last year on the CI scholarship, that's all I got and I was even able to save. I had friends who struggled, and friends who were able to save a large chunk of that. So it all depends on the person's lifestyle.

But it isn't enough in a way, because as students we are interested in stuff like visiting museums, monuments, exhibitions, and so on.  Even if you can get student discounts, you still have to pay for these things. So the 1400 RMB is enough for food, but if you want to visit places or educational events you will have to make certain sacrifices.

We also have to buy clothes, other necessities and so on.  So I definitely think it is about time they increase the allowance. If not by a thousand, at least a few hundreds.

In some universities, they let you pay for internet so you have to pay that monthly fee because how else will you talk to your family? For those without computers (I know that sounds weird but yeah, some people probably don't go to China with any of that), they have to use phone cards.  All that costs money.

1) What is your native country? Nepal

2) Where did you apply?Chinese embassy in Nepal

3) When did you apply?  April

4) When was the deadline? March 31st

5) Have you applied for the scholarship before? No, this was my first time.

6) What program did you apply for? Clinical medicine

7) What schools did you put for your preferences? 1.Fudan  2.Peking 3.Dalian

8 ) Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? No. This is my first time

9) What agency number did you use? Chinese Embassy

10) Where did you get your physical done? Local government hospital

11) Did you get your documents notarized? Some of them

Result (Updating):

12) Were you accepted for the scholarship, if you were not then why? yes from Dalian

13) Did you receive any university admission letters (prior to receiving a scholarship)? No

14) How were you notified? by the chinese embassy in Nepal

15) When were you accepted/rejected?  28th July

16) What school and program were you accepted to? Sandong University-1 year chinese language + Dalian medical university-5 years clinical medicine

Haroon.qasim - You need to convince your embassy to let you change. If they are willing to help you, then they can ask CSC to give you an exception.

FEIFEI - Yes, you can try next year (2015) because applications are already closed for this year.

• Like 1

• New Members

thanks shuoshuo

for your kind reply. i have got admission in master degree program in Management science and engineering from university of geosciences wahan. But they do not offer mentioned program in English language. Can i have option later on to change my degree program in same university or either i have option to change my university.

Can i discuss this issue with embassy at the time of visa process. or once i got visa and move there after that i will dicuss this issue with university or CSC.