Chinese-Forums

Help with Translating Philosophy Verses Needed

insight

Dear friends,

By the time that we are coming up with the answer for 禪機 and 打禪機, do you have any idea of how to say 相應 in English? Would say "meeting of the minds" or "have a perfect response"?

e.g. 我跟他相應 = I have a response with him? Our minds meet? (Does this later one sound better?)

我問題多多...多多...多多... ^_^

My first thought was "great minds run in the same vain" but that wouldn't work for you.

In some colloquial usage I think you could say "we understood each other" and your "our minds met" works as well. I think you could also say "our thoughts are the same" if you want to go star wars on us you could say our minds melded (or is that star trek).

There are a few ways that it can be used. What is the original context? It will help finding a really appropriate one.

The original text says:

(1) 人是由業力吹至娑婆 相應父母親的愛欲 而產生人

I may translate this as:

Man comes to the Saha World owing to the karmic force and "meets" (?????) (or better us "responses"???) the desire (or lust) of the parents, so the man is born.

Reference:

愛慾 = 1. Sanskrit term raga. It means the entrapment of the five sense organs by external objects. 2. The strong attachment and craving that people experience in life, such as for spouse and children; 3. Delusion, deluded activity; 4. Defilement, affliction. kleśa [ccmuller]

(2) 我與老和尚相應 所以老和尚來到我的夢 指示我怎麼做

I have a telepathy/ response (?????) with the old monk so he came to my dream and indicated me what to do.

This word is very frequent used in Chinese. It is something like "a coincidence of the minds".

How about “I am telepathic with him”?

Sorry we wouldn't say that. It can't be used like a verb in this sense.

And for 贵人 I would say honored one or honored person or possibly noble one.

貴人 literally means "the precious or the expensive person", for example you Muyongshi, Studentyoung and Gato are all my 貴人. You are helping me with the translations of these terms. It is similar to 救星 whereas 救星 is used in a negative circumstance. For example, you are bankrupt and your friend gives you money and your friend is your 救星.

May I say 救星 as the angel mercy (???) and 貴人, what 's the translation for this word in English? I looked it up in the dictionary, but there is not equivalent.

While 禪寺, many people translate it as "temple" but I personally prefer 'Zen monastery". Even temples are places with more open activities and monasteries give an idea of more seclusion. But nowadays, I see many temples in the US use the word "monastery" instead of "temple". I think zen monastery sounds nicer and it's more educated and "temple" sounds more of taoist. What do you think about it? :wink:

I agree with you on the sound of monastery versus temple.

I would not recommend you translating that as the angel of mercy because that has no 贬义 in the English.

Definition of 贵人 from 现代汉语词典:

1) 尊贵的人 person of eminence

2) (古代) worth lady; woman with a title or position of responsibility in the Chinese imperial palace at ancient times.

I'm of the male persuasion by the way...:wink:

My original ones were due to 贵族 and I think that in usage there is a connection but I am not familiar with the specific context you are coming from so I am willing to be wrong.

All the translations I am seeing of 救星 are 褒义的

Here is the definition:

帮助人脱离苦难的集体或个人

Hope that helps. Your explanation is clear enough but could you give me the context you are looking at it in otherwise I'm gonna be lost as to whether it is 褒义还是贬义

I do trust what you say though!:D

But here I often hear people say : 你是我的貴人 (like in jokes). For example, when you need something, and someone just come to your place and you tell this person to pass it to you, so some people say as in banter 你是我的貴人 (ironically). :mrgreen:

So Muyongshi you are my 貴人 :mrgreen: How do you say that in English? ???

In that type of sarcastic tone we would say you're my hero or you're my savior or an older one from my parents generation is your a god-send (the last one isn't as sarcastic though).

I just don't know if any of those work in what you are trying to do. I really hope that my endless chatter is actually helping to accomplish something because I am trying to tailor the language to your situation. Hope I'm helping more than hindering.

What I mean by the negative circumstance is referring to the circumstance itself. For example, you are bankrupt, the situation is bankrupcy so it is a difficulty you are facing. So YOU are my 救星. But this word (救星) itself is 褒義.

And for example you are helping me with the translation of the terms. The translation itself is not a bad situation although I might encounter difficulties. So in this case, you are my 貴人. Now, do you get it? :wink:

Sorry I thought you meant that 救星 was negative. Really threw me off there. In effect I think they have about the same meaning and in a way savior works the best for them. More sarcastically is hero.