Chinese-Forums

BLCU: Fall / Summer 08'

George---

Dear Melissa,

It seems to be so expensive due to Olympic. If you have friends or someone there who knows a bit about the city, that might help to get around. I would love to share a house since I will be alone in BJ. If it is getting too difficult and crazy, we might consider the advice staying in a dorm and wait when the Olympic is over.

My YM is tranghv35, hope we can have a chat to get to know each other better,

Cheers,

Hi there:)

I have a few questions regarding the application.

1. When they say most recent diploma ..do I send them my high school diploma or a letter saying that I am enrolled in my current college (in US)?

2. Does the emergency contact person's ID must be someone living in China?

Thanks in advance!

Tina

ainokiseki,

I sent them my college transcript together with the letter of enrollment. I'm not sure, may be you don't need to send your transcript, but it worked for me two times.

franksank,

I think, it is time :wink:

I've already applied and received the admission materials from them.

chitra10,

I've received admission docs after one month or so...btw they were sent by ordinary mail, may be that's why it might take a bit longer.

I applied for August and fall classes, but I've only received the docs for the fall. I'm wondering why...either because there was a confusion with the docs, or August program is already closed, or smth else.

Did anyone receive their docs for August or July?

Hi Phuong,

I guess you r also Vietnamese. I am going to Beijing for Sept course too, keep in touch, may be we can help each other out when we are there. I am thinking to stay in conference room for a while and then look for a house and buddies to stay with.

Hi there!

We're three friends that want to take the september three months course, but we have some doubts about the application form. Hope somebody here can help us, since we haven't received any answer from zhaosh5@blcu.edu.cn (maybe they only read emails in chinese)

Firstly, on the "Program Applied for" part, we should mark the regular course since we're taking the 20 hours/week course, but where we indicate that we want to take the 12 weeks course? or is enough with just writing in "Intended duration at BLCU" from 2008-September-08 to 2008-November-28?

Secondly, in our hometown we have taken 1 year chinese course and we know about 350-400 chinese words. Should we mark the option A (none) in the "Tick the appropriate box to indicate the number of Chinese words you know"?

Finally, in the emergency contac section...do we really have to put the boss of our contact and his/her home and office telephone number??

By the way, does anybody know if they are very strict or if while there are places everybody is accepted?

thanks in advance!

...we haven't received any answer from zhaosh5@blcu.edu.cn

if you send emails with lots of question in it, they won't answer any of them, guess they get scared off.. best thing to do is give them a call, they've always been very helpful in my experience, and when I was registering they told me the status of my application and when it was mailed right away.. and they also speak English at the office.. most of them

...or is enough with just writing in "Intended duration at BLCU" from 2008-September-08 to 2008-November-28?

Yes it's enough, that's how they know which course you want to register for.

*On a side note, about my experience: originally I went last year planing to study for one full semester, 20hrs/week. When I got there, I decided to switch into the 30 hrs/week and ends in December, which is basically the same amount covered as in the one semester course, but finishes in half the time cuz its 30hrs/week, because I really wanted to make use of my time there. Switching is no problem, as long as you do it before you pay, on the day you register, but of course I didn't know that, so I went the day after I had registered to the office to ask them to switch, it really was no problem, but when I asked, they said it was too late, that it had never been done and it was impossible, and made me feel horrible for even asking, and told me to come back in a few hours, but in the end, it took less than 50 seconds, all I had to do was go up the stairs, pay the difference between the two courses, and thats it..

Should we mark the option A (none) in the "Tick the appropriate box to indicate the number of Chinese words you know"?

lol..I have alot of experience with this. At BLCU they have many levels of classes. A is for beginners, in which they start you off with learning to pronounce pinyin. When I went there, I had studied Mandarin for only a few months, and that was part time, lazily. A class is not for you. You should tick B. Within each level, A,B,C,E.. there are more levels, like A1, A5, B5, B7.. where A1 would be complete beginner, and B5 would be lower elementary, and B7 would be upper elementary, and so on. Based on what you said, I think you will be in the B level, about B5.

And btw, during the first week of classes you can switch class levels as much as you want to find a class suitable to your needs, so don't worry at all about it.

Finally, in the emergency contact section.

Put you mommy's number..really it doesn't matter, it can be anybody.

And, as to your last question, I have never heard of, nor heard of anyone who has heard of someone that applied on time with all the documents following the procedure and has not been accepted. They want your money, and will make space for all foreigners.

Good luck!

Josu-

Yea..I don’t think they even reply to emails because I had my Chinese friend to write the email in Chinese for me and they didn’t reply at all..You can call them though because the secretaries speak English pretty well and they answered all of my questions. 0086-10-82303088

You might want to but in parentheses next to the dates : (12 weeks)

It doesn’t really matter which box you check because you will be tested before school starts to determine your level . You can still mark the second box and it would still be okay

I think that the name of the company is adequate..if you only want to write the name of the boss and one phone number that should be okay..like you might want to put “n/a” in the home phone number line if you want.

I think that anyone would be accepted because they have a lot and a lot of room. Make sure you apply before the deadline.

Hope this helps

Tina

ohh thank you very much mk063 and ainokiseki!

now we have everything clear, we just wanted to be sure that we were filling in everything correctly...since we didn't want to be reject for makin some silly mistake in the application form XD

I think that anyone would be accepted because they have a lot and a lot of room. Make sure you apply before the deadline.

Hope this helps

Tina

Within two months after the day on which it receives the application and relevant materials, the Admission Office will send to qualified applicants

thats from the site... i sent once the documents before deadline applications, like 1 month and half before and got rejected.. so its more like 2 months before the class u want to apply for.. so if you really want to go sometimes its better to send the documents and the payment at least 2 months or 3 before the class u want to apply for..

• 2 weeks later...

I received my JW202 a month ago, and two days ago I went to the consulate in Barcelona (Spain), and they said there wasn't any problem with issuing the Visa... And I think it will be valid for the 6 weeks I'll be there doing the course...but I'll still have to wait, because you have to apply for the Visa at the most a month before travelling to China... Hope this helps!

And Melissa, it would be great if we could meet up! :D

Hey Maybe 84,

I just received notice that BLCU will be sending my JW202 form in May 13th. After that, I will get all the needed tests and all that stuff done. I have already bought my plane ticket and will be arriving in Beijing on July 27th. I would love to meet up! You are only staying for 6 months? My email is barrows.m@gmail.com, if you wanted to email me. -Melissa