Chinese-Forums

Chinese poetry

skylee

Two of my favourite poems are 蘇幕遮 by 范仲淹 (Fan Zhongyan) and 江城子 by 蘇軾 (Su Shi) -

"蘇幕遮"

碧雲天,黃葉地。秋色連波,波上寒煙翠。山映斜陽天接水。芳草無情,更在斜陽外。

黯鄉魂,追旅思。夜夜除非,好夢留人睡。明月樓高休獨倚。酒入愁腸,化作相思淚。

"江城子"

十年生死兩茫茫。不思量,自難忘。千裡孤墳,無處話淒涼。

縱使相逢應不識,塵滿面,鬢如霜。

夜來幽夢忽還鄉。小軒窗,正梳妝。相顧無言,惟有淚千行。

料得年年腸斷處,明月夜,短松崗。

Do note that these are "詞" (lyrics), thus the uneven length of the phrases. They were popular during Song Dynasty.

I'm not going to split this topic up, but I think it might be wise for you to start new topics to introduce new poets / poems - it'll be easier to follow for new visitors, and keep things a little bit more tidy.

I could be wrong though. I'm not the police or anything.

Roddy

I've just seen a movie featuring Andy Lau, and this has somehow reminded me of his old movie 天若有情, and then Mao Zedong's poem "人民解放軍佔領南京" (what a name) -

鐘山風雨起蒼黃,百萬雄師過大江。虎距龍盤今勝昔,天翻地覆慨而慷。

宜將剩勇追窮寇,不可沽名學霸王。天若有情天亦老,人間正道是滄桑。

But I only like the last part of this poem, which is also the most famous. Another one of his popular poems is "沁園春" -

北國風光,千里冰封,萬里雪飄。望長城內外,惟餘莽莽;大河上下,

頓失滔滔。山舞銀蛇,原馳蠟象,欲與天公試比高。須晴日,看紅妝素裹,分外妖嬈。

江山如此多嬌,引無數英雄競折腰。惜秦皇漢武,略輸文采;唐宗宋祖,稍遜風騷。一代天驕,成吉思漢,只識彎弓射大雕。俱往矣,數風流人物,還看今朝。

I don't think any ordinary/less confident man would dare to write such a poem, comparing oneself to Qin Shihuang, Han Wudi and Chinggis Khan, among others.

Two verses from 黄巢 :

半肩弓劍憑天縱

一掉江山盡地維

Does anyone know if they are part of a poem or not ? The 全唐诗 contains only three poems from the Tang rebel' date=' and these 2 verses are not included.[/quote']

Hi nnt, I asked a Chinese friend of mine, his answer is pretty long, that's why I better give you the link:

http://www.s2.forumfactory.com/cgi-bin/s2/foren/F_0145/cutecast.pl?forum=9&thread=783

Two verses from 黄巢 :

半肩弓劍憑天縱

一掉江山盡地維

Does anyone know if they are part of a poem or not ? The 全唐诗 contains only three poems from the Tang rebel' date=' and these 2 verses are not included.[/quote']

Hi nnt, I asked a Chinese friend of mine, his answer is pretty long, that's why I better give you the link:

http://www.s2.forumfactory.com/cgi-bin/s2/foren/F_0145/cutecast.pl?forum=9&thread=783

Thanks for your research, but the reply mostly concerns Huang Chao's biography, not the verses themselves:

其它的都有疑问。而这两句:

半肩弓劍憑天縱

一掉江山盡地維

则绝对不是黄巢的。首先,没有任何记载说明这两句是他的诗。另外,这两句也不像黄巢的口吻

To say that "it's not Huang Chao's style" is rather short as an answer. Perhaps, they could be someone else's, but the style is definitely a adventurous rebel's one, wandering through all the mountains and rivers with his bow and sword, wu xia style.

• 3 weeks later...

Question time again:

春宿左省

花隐掖垣暮,啾啾栖鸟过。

星临万户动,月傍九霄多。

不寝听金钥,因风想玉珂。

明朝有封事,数问夜如何

(Du Fu, of course). I'm especially interested in the second couplet- is it ambiguous as to whether it's the stars or the households which move, and whether it's the moon or the heavens which are big? All the translations I've checked seem to skirt around the issue.

:(