Chinese-Forums

Chinese poetry

skylee

I just felt so alone and lonely with that "not so good" translation posted here and no comments at all.
Don't worry, purepearl! Any business to do with poetry should be, first and foremost, for self-enjoyment. Secondly, aesthetic standard tends to rise in proportion to the loneliness one feels... :D

• 1 month later...

Some Chinese university students and I have been working on a website for young people and teachers who are interested in T'ang poetry. We choose easy poems - mostly 5-character ones- by Du Fu, Li Bai, Wang Wei, Meng Haoran, etc - and added long, looped MP3 recordings for practice, the text in both simplified and traditional characters, character worksheets with the poems, their pinyin with tone markers, English meanings, as well as an English translations of the poems. We also have started making simple Flash games and short vidoes of the poems being recited.

So far we just have a mock-up site, but we really need some feedback. We would like to know what else people would like us to include. My CSL (Chinese Second Language) students have already made some suggestions that have been incorporated, but we would like more input before we start the process of putting the resources up on a permanent site.

The site is at: http://newstore2005.googlepages.com/index

BTW - the address has the word 'store' in it, but it is not a commercial site.

You can either leave feedback on the webpage, or PM me with your comments, thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kathy Felts

PS - The next thing we are going to work on is Chinese Opera. I hope anyone who is interested will PM me. Also, we really need a good web designer to help us. We can create the resources, but so far we haven't done a very good job of making a good-looking website. Even on the googlepage, we have some formating problems we don't know how to solve.

I've done a search and it looks like that 歸園田居 is not yet in this thread (I did mention it in another thread, though). There is this little booklet of high school ancient poetry on my bedside table and I was just reading this poem. There are five of them but I have only learnt the first one at school ... which is copied below.

少無適俗韻 性本愛丘山

誤落塵網中 一去三十年

羈鳥戀舊林 池魚思故淵

開荒南野際 守拙歸園田

方宅十餘畝 草屋八九間

榆柳蔭後簷 桃李羅堂前

曖曖遠人村 依依墟里煙

狗吠深巷中 雞鳴桑樹巔

戶庭無塵雜 虛室有餘閑

久在樊籠裏 復得返自然

Pinyin, translation and more can be found here.

• 2 weeks later...

I know so little about food that I have no idea if the dish was really invented by him. But this is what people say.

Here is the story in English -> http://folk.uio.no/mariesha/webmag/chineseDishes.html

And in simplified Chinese -> http://www.louwailou.com.cn/dongpo.asp

In Hangzhou in East china's Zhejiang Province, there is a well-known dish called Dongpo Meat. It is named after Su Dongpo, a literary giant who lived about 900 years ago. The story is that when he was the prefectural governor of Hangzhou, he had a dam built across the West Lake. The lake was dredged and became a rich source of irrigation for the farmland, thus making it possible for the local people to have a bumper harvest each year. The dam is now known as the sudi Dam. [skylee says - this is not merely story, this is history.]

When the spring Festival arrived, many folks went to Su Dongpo's home to wish him Happy New Year. They took along pork and wine to show their thanks. Su Dongpo accepted the gifts. But then he had the meat cooked in a special way and sent it on to the families of the people who had worked on the West Lake dredging project. The local people greatly praised Su Dongpo for this good deed and named the dish Dongpo Meat. One restaurant manager was very quick to capitalize on the name. When he saw how popular the dish proved, he asked his cook to prepare the meat in the same way. His business soon flourished. Of course, other restaurants began to copy him. Before long, Dongpo Meat was available in every restaurant in Hangzhou. Soon, Dongpo Meat ranked first on the list of local dishes. Even today, when people there hold a feast, Dongpo Meat is still often featured.

• 2 months later...

伤心桥下春波绿,曾是惊鸿照影来。(《沈园》,陆游)

惊鸿:比喻美人体态的轻盈。

Well,let me tell you the story behind, which will help you to feel the beauty of this verse.

陆游(Lu You) is a very famous poet in South Song Dynasty. He loves his wife-Tang Wan very much. But his mother doesn't like this girl. So he had to devoice. Well, in ancient China a 'good' son is suppose to do so. But this girl is still in his mind, especially when he visited a garden-Shen Yuan, where they had some wonderful time together. He made three poems to remember her when he visited that garden three different times. This one is the last one when he was 75 years old. The girl married another person and died much early than Lu You.

I love it because it vividly creates a picture that when Lu You is looking down the water under the bridge and remembering the happy time they together in this garden or on this right bridge, slowly that girl's beautiful body, face, smile, elegant movement, etc. come to the water, just like many years ago, these were reflected in the same water. It's not just the picture, but the mood within it-so sad, and beautiful. I can't describe it precisely, but can you feel it?

It is really something in common in our life and destiny, isn't it? Beautiful people or time has just gone and we can't do anything, some time later they visit us in memory again within certain circumstances. Then, in a way, we become another Lu You.

What do you think or feel?

What do you think or feel?

Why don’t you ask how Ms. Tang Wan thought or felt?

钗头凤•唐琬

世情薄,人情恶,雨送黄昏花易落。晓风乾,泪痕残,欲笺心事,独语斜栏。难,难,难!

人成各,今非昨,病魂常似秋千索。角声寒,夜阑珊,怕人寻问,咽泪装欢。瞒,瞒,瞒!

Sigh~ ~!

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

here is the poem I found on the website recently,written by the sixth Dalai Lama,a really moving one.

那一世 我转山转水转佛塔

仓央嘉措Tsangyang Gyatso 1683—1706

(六世达赖)

2005111015300091919.jpg

那一天

闭目在经殿的香雾中

蓦然听见

你诵经的真言

那一月

我转动所有的经筒

不为超度

只为触摸你的指尖

那一年

我磕长头匍匐在山路

不为觐见

只为贴着你的温暖

那一世

我转山转水转佛塔呀

不为修来世

只为在途中与你相见

天空中洁白的仙鹤

请将你的双翅借我

我不往远处去飞

只到理塘就回

39947_2.JPG

PS - where / what is 理塘?

理塘 is a beautiful place in 四川 province.

世界高城、雪域圣地、草原明珠”-理塘,地处四川省西部,甘孜州西南部。东距省会成都654公里,州府康定284公里。县内居住着汉、回、彝、土家、纳西、苗、羌等七个民族,其中藏族占总人口的94%。幅员面积14182平方公里。平均海拔4133米。理塘县以广袤无垠的毛垭草原,藏语称理塘为"勒通","勒"意铜镜,"通"意草坝,意为平坦纯净如铜镜般的草原。

http://baike.baidu.com/view/352420.htm

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

i am new to the Forum, and involved in a 15 year+ project studying Jade-Culture of the Orient, particularly China. I lived in China from 1997 to 2006 teaching English to get a Visa. One of my particular interests is Chinese poetry that refers to jade and jade culture. The following is one of my translations, more will follow. I hope this works, because this is my first post.

芃蘭 pénlán: Sparrow’s Ladle The Sparrow’s Ladle is a Milkweed species that has pods shaped like the prong, a claw or canine tooth-shaped pendant, 佩觽 pèixī. The leaves of the Sparrow’s Ladle are often curled into a shape resembling the 韘shè, the archer’s thumb ring. This poem has distinct sarcastic tone about the overstatement of the claims of men during courtship. The prong is worn by men when they come of marriageable age. The archer’s thumb ring is a symbol of status and achievement of the skills of archery. The 佩韘pèishè is an ornate pendent carved in the style of the archer’s thumb ring. It’s worn as a pendent and not on the thumb. Using a reference to a pendent instead of a thumb ring may be an added touch of sarcasm, because the archer’s thumb ring pendent is too ornate to be useful as a thumb ring. These articles will be made of fine jade, jade-like stone, ivory or bone depending on the status of the person in society.

芃蘭之支, The Sparrow’s Ladle is propped up [by a stick],

péng lán zhī zhī,

童子佩觽。 the lad wears a fine prong.

tóng zĭ pèixī。

雖則佩觽, Despite this handsome prong,

suī zé pèixī,

能不我知。 he cannot know me.

néng bù wŏ zhī。

容兮遂兮, He desires to statisfy,

róng xī suí xī,

垂带悸兮。 but his girdle swings low.

chuí dài jì xī。

芃蘭之葉, Like the Sparrow Ladle’s leaf,

péng lán zhī yè‘

童子佩韘。 the boy wear’s the archer’s thumb ring.

tóng zĭ pèishè。

雖則佩韘, Thou it is just a pendent thumb ring,

suī zé pèishè,

能不我甲。 He cannot protect me.

néng bù wŏ jiă,

容兮遂兮, He claims to fulfill me,

róng xī suí xī,

垂带悸兮。 But his girdle hangs low.

chuí dài jì xī。

Everyone's comments and suggestions welcome

Frank

Go with the flow the river knows.

化干戈为玉帛 Turn weapons into peace and friendship with gifts of jade-silk.

辛弃疾

《青玉案·元夕》:“

东风夜放花千树,更吹落星如雨。宝马雕车香满路,凤箫声动,玉壶光转,一夜鱼龙舞。

蛾儿雪柳黄金缕,笑语盈盈暗香去。众里寻他千百度,蓦然回首,那人却在,灯火阑珊处。

Translation:东风仿佛吹开了盛开鲜花的千棵树,又如将空中的繁星吹落,象阵阵星雨。华丽的香车宝马在路上来来往往,各式各样的醉人香气弥漫着大街。悦耳的音乐之声四处回荡,职如风萧和玉壶在空中流光飞舞,热闹的夜晚鱼龙形的彩灯在翻腾。美人的头上都戴着亮丽的饰物,晶莹多彩的装扮在人群中晃动。她们面容微笑,带着淡淡的香气从人面前经过。我寻找她千百次,都见不到,不经意间一回头,却看见了她立在灯火深处。

commentary:词作从极力渲染元宵节绚丽多彩的热闹场面入手,反衬出一个孤高淡泊、超群拔俗、不同于金翠脂粉的女性形象,寄托着作者政治失意后,不愿与世俗同流合污的孤高品格。词从开头起“东风夜放花千树”,就极力渲染元宵佳节的热闹景象:满城灯火,满街游人,火树银花,通宵歌舞。然而作者的意图不在写景,而是为了反衬 “灯火阑珊处”的那个人的与众不同。本词描绘出无宵佳节通宵灯火的热闹场景,梁启超谓“自怜幽独,伤心人别有怀抱。”认为本词有寄托,可谓知音。上片与元夕之夜灯火辉煌,游人如云的热闹场面,下片写不幕荣华,甘守寂寞的一位美人形象。美人形象便是寄托着作者理想人格的化身。众里寻他千百度,蓦然回首,那人却在,灯火阑珊处。王国维把这种境界称之为成大事业者,大学问者的第三种境界,确是大学问者的真知灼见

Hope you will understand it, my english is not good enough to translate.

The poem 《青玉案·元夕》 "The tale (story or account) of the pale green jade in the evening" is a difficult poem to translate and undertand properly. I stowed this one in my notes to chew on later.

You can find one translation here -> http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17789&view=findpost&p=4900619

青玉案:元夕(東風夜放花千樹)-- 辛棄疾

To the tune of "Jade Counter/Altar: On Yuan-xi",

"The East Wind at Night is Releasing Blossoms from a Thousand Trees"

by Xin Qiji (1140-1207 CE)

東風夜放花千樹。

The East Wind at Night is Releasing Blossoms from a Thousand Trees.

更吹落,

Even Breathing Down,

星如雨。

Stars Like Rain.

寶馬雕車香滿路。

Prized Steeds and Etched Carriages are Scenting and Filling the Roads.

鳳簫聲動,

The Phoenix-calling Pipe's Notes are Stirring,

玉壺光轉,

the Jade Jug's Light is Circling,

一夜魚龍舞。

And for One Night the Fishes and Dragons are Dancing.

蛾兒雪柳黃金縷。

Tiny Moths and Snowy Willows all in Golden Gilding.

笑語盈盈暗香去。

Merry Talk Brimming where the Faint Fragrances are Receding.

眾裡尋他千百度。

About the Crowds and Inside Seeking Her a Thousand and Hundred Times.

驀然回首,

A Swift Turn of the Head,

那人卻在,

And That Person But Abides,

燈火闌珊處。

In a Lamp-Fire Streaked and Speckled Place.

I spent more time looking at the poem this morning, and came up with this translation.

东风夜放花千树, dōng fēng yè fàng huā qiān shù

Thousand trees release blossoms in the east wind.

更吹落星如雨。gēng chuī là xīng rú yǔ

As if stars falling like rain in the wind.

宝马雕车香满路,bǎo mǎ diāo bǎo mǎ diāo chē xiāng mǎ lù

Majestic horses and ornate carriages follow a fragrant road,

凤箫声动,fēng xiāo shēng dòng

Feng huang* plays flute in the (fragrant) breeze,

*I prefer feng huang to pheonix in English translation.

玉壶光转,yù hú guāng zhuǎi

As the brightly polished jade pot reflects,

一夜鱼龙舞。yī yè yú long wǔ

The fish dragon* dancing in the night.

*Fish dragon is a mythical Chinese dragon that I have jade carvings for.

蛾儿雪柳黄金缕,éér xuě lǐu huáng jīn lǔ

Caterpillars weave gold threads in the snowy willow,*

*Likely the tree called the Silver Willow.

笑语盈盈暗香去。xiào yǔ yíng àn xiāng qù

Laughing (smiles) fills the dark as the gloom fades.

众里寻他千百度,zhòng xún tā qiān bǎi dù

He desires to search for her over many leagues,

蓦然回首,mò rán huí shǒu

But turns and rushes back,

那人却在,nā rén què zài

The one who returns will stay,

灯火阑珊处。dēnghuǒ lán shān chǔ

Lights fade where the coral lives.

Frank

Go with the flow the river knows.

化干戈为玉帛 Turn weapons into peace and friendship with gifts of jade-silk.