Chinese-Forums

are Chinese people really that unfriendly to foreigners?

Kessha

I'm annoyed by the excessive forced courtesy in Starbucks in Shanghai. I understand that they have a Taiwanese management. I think they are doing the niceness indoctrination.

I was very comfortable with that. I think it is good progress and it is how it should be.

It sounds fake and insincere to me. And I'd also like some quiet in the morning before I have my coffee, instead of the noisy greetings. They don't say "Welcome to Our Store" over and over in Starbucks in the U.S. The Beijing Starbucks are under a different management. I think they are a bit different.

A couple of months back a waitress in a Chinese restaurant said to me 祝你就餐愉快. I'm not going to say it was unwelcome, but it was the first time I'd ever heard a waitress say that (typically they'll say 请慢用 or something) and it did seem rather strange.

I didn't follow the thread so I'm not saying to against or support any previous comments. Hopefully my comments is not totally irrelevant.

Chinatown appears to be an odd place even to me a native Chinese. Those people's history and background are very different from mine. I'm more comfortable with new immigrants, whether mainlanders or tainwanese or hong kongers.

I have a story about the casual attitute of some Chinese waiters. When I was in Barcelona, there was a small Chinese restaurant near our hotel I went more than once.

Me: Can I have some rice?

Waitress: Rice? Just to let you know: our rice is no good. (What?! How can you discourage a customer not to try your food?)

Me: Why is that?

Waitress: Water. Barcelona's water doesn't make good rice. 我也没办法。

She was unprofessional and so indifferent to my dining experience and refused to improve their food. Rude by some standards. Well, I'm familiar with the unprofessionalism and indifferency, and I like that. Good people. I had good chats with them more than with cold professional or fake nice waiters.

Immediately another post. It reminds me something else. Living in the US for too long makes me miss that feeling. Chinese people just like talking to people.

In a gas station,

the cashier suddenly ran out to pursue a vehicle.

- F***. They didn't pay the gas. yadayada...

He complained all the way while checking out my stuff, then looked at me. "No, Chinese won't do that. It's often a White woman."

(Racist! Do not throw your racist comments to me a strange customer!)

No, I didn't really think that way.

Chinatown appears to be an odd place even to me a native Chinese. Those people's history and background are very different from mine. I'm more comfortable with new immigrants, whether mainlanders or tainwanese or hong kongers.

I agree. Chinatown is a tourist relic of the past.

The mainstream Chinese immigrants of today are found in suburban America, and are mostly white-collar and well-educated immigrants.

The San Gabriel Valley of LA, San Jose and Fremont in the SF Bay Area, and Flushing in New York are more representative of the kind of immigrants you would find from China.

people tend to be indifferent or ignor things they are interested in. the places you travelled may not receive foreign visitors much. and people there do not see foreigners much, or haven`t seen one. maybe they are just too embarrassed to show their interest. they just have to ignor you or treat you badly to cover their inside feelings. heheh

When I lived in China, I got wonderful responses from Beijingers (for some perspective, I am a young white American woman). They are some of the friendliest, kindest, all around best people ever. And a true Chinese friend, they will do ANYTHING for you. I can't say enough about the good friend I made there, and the people at my school. Generally I think most Chinese are very curious about foreigners, to the point where they will ask to get their pic taken with you, (or sneak one of you when you're not looking!), or just plain stare at you. I thought this was rude at first, but I honestly think that they are so excited that they can't contain themselves. Of course there are rude people, but they are everywhere (God knows there's lots of them in DC!) One thing that I didn't like about China was the constant "helloooooo!", you will get people yelling that at you a LOT. That really the only rude thing I experienced. That did get very, very old, but I can't say anything worse than that happened.

Unfortunately, the Chinese have a lot of learn from us in the West about accepting gay relationships. I'm almost certain that's why the OP experienced some rudeness from the Chinatown people. I can't remember her post exactly, but if you were showing affection to your girlfriend, or just basically making it known that you were a couple, I'm pretty sure that's why you weren't treated well. My Chinese teacher is a lesbian and has been to China like 50 times I believe, and I when she goes there she basically lies and tells everyone that she's got a husband back home, because they would be freaked out that she had a girlfriend.

Of course there are rude people, but they are everywhere (God knows there's lots of them in DC!) One thing that I didn't like about China was the constant "helloooooo!", you will get people yelling that at you a LOT. That really the only rude thing I experienced.

Indeed they are everywhere. People yell "konichiwa" to me when I travel.

One thing that I didn't like about China was the constant "helloooooo!", you will get people yelling that at you a LOT. That really the only rude thing I experienced.

The "helloooooo!" and then falling into manic laughter is still quite common. But it's usually not done by the brightest out there. Quite the opposite.

People yell "konichiwa" to me when I travel.

You mean in Japan? I never had that. I find the Japanese very reserved. Too reserved I think. I feel Chinese are more open and warmer. (have to add I don't speak Japanese though)

Old thread, but it's ok. (I think so!)

Maybe those Chinese in Boston Chinatown are conservative. Maybe they don't entertain the idea of just 2 girls hangin' out. It happens.

Chinatown in the Philippines is a blend of Filipino and Chinese culture.

As a Filipino, I never experienced unpleasantries there. The Chinoys (Chinese-Pinoy, Pinoy = Filipino) are nice, even to foreigners. So how come those Chintons (Chinese in Boston) are xenophobic?

I myself am wondering.

I honestly think that the people who yell "helloooo!" at white people think that they are the first people to have ever thought of it.

Skylee, do people say konichiwa (probably not spelling it right sorry!) to you in the U.S.? I hope not, I'd be embarrassed!

Also, I've been around here for a few years but I can never figure out how the dang quote thing works (I'm dumb I know.) How do you all do it??

Skylee, do people say konichiwa (probably not spelling it right sorry!) to you in the U.S.? I hope not, I'd be embarrassed!

No. I've never been to the US as I am 1) unwilling to apply to the visa; 2) not happy with being treated like a criminal at immigration; 3) not interested in the place.

To quote, copy the text, place the curse at where you want it to appear, press the quote.gif icon above the box where you type, paste the text in the space in the pop-up window, press return.

No. I've never been to the US as I am 1) unwilling to apply to the visa; 2) not happy with being treated like a criminal at immigration; 3) not interested in the place.

U.S. immigration does suck. I used to work for the government helping constituents from my state through the process. The problem is that the system just isn't properly funded, so the gov't can't hire enough people to make the process go at an efficient rate. It's a beautiful place though, so I think it's worth the trouble. If you are from Canada, Australia, or most places in Europe, you shouldn't have problems getting a visa. If you're from Mexico, China, or India though, good luck! I doubt you'll ever get through. At least in the PRC I felt like they moved things along very efficiently when I applied for my visa, I had no problems at all.

The problem is that the system just isn't properly funded, so the gov't can't hire enough people to make the process go at an efficient rate.
They should stop fingerprinting people as if they are criminals and they'd find things went at a much faster rate.

They should stop fingerprinting people as if they are criminals and they'd find things went at a much faster rate.

Isn't the fingerprinting done only at immigration when you arrive? As a USA citizen I've never been through the process so this is a real question.

The problem is that the system just isn't properly funded, so the gov't can't hire enough people to make the process go at an efficient rate.

This is most certainly the case. The system is funded by us taxpayers, who don't need to go through the process, so we don't really care how slow it is. :mrgreen:

It's a beautiful place though, so I think it's worth the trouble.

Since only 20% of USA citizens have a passport, and hence 80% don't travel abroad, there must be something here worth visiting.