Chinese-Forums

are Chinese people really that unfriendly to foreigners?

Kessha

As to most illegals in the US having overstayed their visa: yes, of course. There are two ways to get into the US (afaik): through the desert, or with a visa. The visa option is vastly preferable. Virtually none of those overstayers ever harms anyone. To solve this 'problem', I think one should first assess what exactly the problem is. Is the country overflowing? (Not really, is it.) Are there not enough jobs for all those people? (But apparently they're making enough money to keep themselves alive.) Are they criminal? (Not really, from what I know.) If there is no real problem, then maybe the current system isn't that bad.

But they're breaking the law! Therefore, by definition, they are Bad People and we must protect our country from them! Think of the Children!

[Note: sarcasm above, in case you missed it. But that is how many people here think about the issue.]

Seriously, I agree with part of the sentiment. However, don't you think there is a purpose in limiting visitors to come only for certain purposes and only for a certain time period? Otherwise, we could just throw open our boarders and skip this whole visa / immigration thing altogether. [Which, now that you mention it, has some appeal.....]

Sarcasm noted :-)

My idea for immigration:

Anyone can apply, but they need a plan of what they're going to do in the country, and they must give the government some proof of identity to keep, and security money of an amount sufficient to repatriate them if the need arises. Then they have, say, one year to make things work for themselves: find a place, learn the language, take care of themselves, everything. If things don't work out, they are sent back (using the security money if necessary) and can't apply again for, say, five years. If all goes well, they can apply for another year, or the government sends them back if that seems a better idea.

Something like that. Would especially be good for Europe: what happens now is that people come from either war-torn or just dirt poor countries, wait for ages for their asylum application to be reviewed, re-reviewed, etc, all this time they cannot work. If they are refused, they are supposed to find their own way back, but instead of course they end up staying illegally.

The best experience I had in a Chinatown was in Yokohama, on a day trip from Tokyo years ago. I bought a local Chinese newspaper on a whim, hoping to find some useful addresses, read about the local Chinese community etc. It didn't occur to me that carrying that paper marked me as a Chinese speaker wherever I went. I made about 20 new friends in two hours, including former Dongbei war prisoners, restaurant owners, embassy people, other tourists etc.

All in all, I'd say the Chinese are *very* friendly, some would say too much.... Most English speakers are far more reserved.

• 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily. Some Chinese are too friendly as you are a foreigner. It's proud to have a foreign friend. Old people are really reserved in China, and it is acceptable. You don't want to deal with the old heh? Some others are shy. And maybe it is possible that what you underwent is because of your girlfriend. Now that many CHines men would like to have white as their girlfriends

Perhaps they were not actually irritated or angry or anything. Perhaps it was just their normal way of behaving with everyone.

It's pretty common to get poor service (by Western standards) here in China, but it's nothing personal, they show the same mannerisms to everyone...

Not necessarily. Some Chinese are too friendly as you are a foreigner. It's proud to have a foreign friend.

If you're referring to what I wrote, no. As much as I dislike generalisations, my experience has been that many mainland Chinese are used to a greater degree of "community life" (集体生活) than people in other places. Things like speaking to strangers, walking into neighbours' homes uninvited, making small talk etc. This has changed in cities, and it's different in certain social circles, but in the countryside it is still like that. In these settings, Chinese can come across as very friendly indeed. I was living in a Tokyo neighbourhood back then, and the contrast was huge.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

"are Chinese people really that unfriendly to foreigners"

uhh... are you kidding me???? What you experienced was probably an exceptionally rare anomaly because Chinese people absolutely LOVE foreigners, especially if you're European or North American, but even if you're not, it still doesn't matter. But considering you were in Chinatown in the US, that's probably a different story, since the Chinese people there see foreigners everyday, which they take for granted. Anyway, I don't think they're unfriendliness is targeted specifically at foreigners. Some Chinese restaurant owners and waiters/waitresses are mean to PEOPLE in general. Don't let one bad experience ruin your impression of Chinese people. It would be very different if you went to China because Chinese people there are absolutely fascinated by foreigners, no matter what country you're from. Although China has really opened up to the world, and there is an increasing number of foreigners living there, seeing one walking on the streets still isn't an everyday thing.

I'm a Chinese who grew up in Australia (I probably can't even be classified as a foreigner), and yet every time I go to China I'm shown a lot of friendliness and preferential treatment.

Don't worry, mate. If you go to China and are able to speak some Chinese (doesn't need to be perfect or very complicated, they'll love ya for trying), you'll be overwhelmed with their hospitality and generosity! :D

I am shocked by what you said.As far as I know,Chinese is very friendly to foreigners.Certainly,different place have different custom. some body may be the first time saw the foreigner,so he feel very novelty,and just because this,he glared at you and whispered .actually,what they said was not cuss to you.may be they said"he is so tall"or"his nose is so beautiful".yes?you can think so.and you should have got a beayuiful feeling.:roll:

Since this thread has been resurrected:

I kinda wonder how - nevermind it's difficult to talk about 1.3 billion+ people as if they were all the same - to appropriately classify the average Chinese attitude towards foreigners.

Hospitality, friendliness, curiosity - yes, there is that.

You could call some of it openness, too.

In the middle, I wouldn't necessarily call it friendliness, though, when foreigners are given preferential treatment. And some of that is based on stereotypes that all the foreigners were comparatively rich.

Which leads to how, otoh, stereotyping is very common, much of it is not positive, and Chinese oftentimes seem to see foreigners as necessarily different and unable to possible become a part of Chinese society.

Just one example: It seems to me that many people consider the "Chinese" asking about one's salary as curiosity and openness. In fact, it seems to be a part of an "othering": It's a typical "foreigner question" which a Chinese would not ask another Chinese, unless if they are rather good friends.

Seems to me the issue becomes most obvious, and problematic, when it comes to mixed couples - there, all the un-/friendliness, not really-/openness comes to the fore....

Thoughts?

Just one example: It seems to me that many people consider the "Chinese" asking about one's salary as curiosity and openness. In fact, it seems to be a part of an "othering": It's a typical "foreigner question" which a Chinese would not ask another Chinese, unless if they are rather good friends.

This is an interesting observation....is this really a question that is asked exclusively to foreigners? I'm especially curious because the first thing my Chinese professor asked my boyfriend and me was how much money our parents made. I thought this was a rather odd introduction!

Yeah, it's probably directed more at foreigners than at anyone else. My family and relatives are always reinforcing the fact that it's extremely rude to ask anyone about their salary, but sometimes when they meet a foreigner, they start asking them what job they do, which somehow always leads on to a discussion about how much money they earn. Kinda hypocritical if you ask me.:tong

If you get asked this question, DO NOT be silly enough to tell them how much you actually make(especially if you make a lot). Seriously. Always make sure the figure you're telling them is much much less than your actual income. :wink:

I remember when I studied in Beijing in 2006 and a Chinese friend was asking me about my job and life in London. When I mentioned the type of apartment I had (centre of London, so nothing fancy) and didn't own a car, he thought I was some kind of peasant. Especially as I was living in halls at BNU at the time.

Oh well. At least he paid for my dinner when we went out ;)

in america, there are different kinds of chinatowns. The old chinatowns can be a bit scary to navigate, even for a 2nd gen chinese-american like me. I usually don't bother going there. If I want authentic chinese food, I can get that at home. If I want chinese food that I like, I go to Panda Express. IME, the old chinatowns are rather sketchy, and some are known to harbor illegal gang activity and are also home to many illegal immigrants. Believe me, there is a huge disconnect between the illegal immigrant chinese ppl in the deep parts of chinatown and the affluent legal and educated chinese community.

on the other hand, there are several modern chinatowns being operated by the affluent 1st gen immigrants and some are even operated by 2nd/3rd gen chinese americans. these chinatowns are all really upscale, really clean, and quite welcoming to virtually anyone. You may even see non-chinese people working in these chinatowns. I don't mind going to these places. These places actually exhibit the good stuff about china.

bniu3, could you name names, to see which are which? As far as Houston goes, there's two Chinatowns too, and they might fit your description, though the first one (even though it is the only one shown on freeway signs) now only consists of one store and one restaurant (and I can't tell how well they withstood the recession).

• 3 months later...

I spend every summer in Beihai China. Everyone there goes out of their way to be friendly to me. i am a white American married to a younger lady from Beihai. The Chinese I have met all over China are very friendly to me and I am a foreigner. So I would say in China they are more respectful then in America for sure. The best time of the year is the 10 weeks I spend in China. I go out with all my Chinese friends and whoever invites the other out pays. great place to visit, great place to live for me. I will retire to Beiha in 3 years for a life I never though possible. Love China and the Chinese love me.Chinese are more friendly then Americans.

I will retire to Beiha in 3 years for a life I never though possible.

I love China too. Will your being married to a Chinese lady allow you to get a residence permit, or will you have to make some other arrangement to be allowed to stay long term without being a student or being employed?

After you have been married 5 years to a Chinese national you can get a New Chinese Green Card good for 10 years.Just like the USA.

Thanks. That's exactly what I was wondering. Best wishes to you and your wife in establishing a new life in China in a couple of years!