Chinese-Forums

August Upgrade

roddy

Another whine: the "remove formatting" icon (the eraser looking thing) does not remove links like it used to.

This might actually be a plus, not sure, but it sure is confusing me. Maybe eventually I'll figure out why clicking on that 5 times no longer removes the blue text + underline....

Hmmm, works for me. I think it's meant to be a switch, rather than an eraser.

Home page blog entries block now displays markers for new comments. Currently trying to figure out how to make the home page non-ugly on mobile . . .

Mobile home page is less ugly, still needs some work. Uploads of photo profiles now work as they should, and I've got someone looking at blog permission issues that have been plaguing our friends at 中文挑战. Make sure you all give that post a reputation point, I'd like to see it at the top of our popular posts block. I also spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out something I thought was broken. Turned out I just didn't understand it. And got my website statistics working again, which is nice for me.

Have any iPhone users noticed image problems? Damned if I know what's happening there, hopefully it's just me . . .

• Like 1

Speaking of skins, is there one that has slightly less white background?
@imron: that was precisely my issue... but the Pre 3.2 was even whiter than the default theme.
Why is it so white? It's giving me a headache even when I reduce the brightness.

I didn't find any user style for Chinese-forums or IP.Board on userstyles.org . I suppose I should make one. In the meantime I'm using the Color toggle Firefox Extension with these settings:

Scheme 1

Foreground color: #c0c0c0
Background color: #000000
Link: #0099ff
Visited link: #6666cc

Scheme 2

[X] Use system colors

[X] Let pages override these settings

• Like 1

The new website look seems ok, though feels a little more squished. However, I have to request you kill the unread post dots.

They're doing my head in and keep pulling my eyes of the thread titles and back to the dots, No idea why, but I can't stand them.

t_unread.png

t_unread.png

t_unread.png

t_unread.png

Or, maybe making them a little lighter so they don't contrast so greatly against everything else may help....

If you don't click on the dots, though, you won't be brought to the first unread post. I just tried clicking on the thread title, and it started me at the top of the thread.

I didn't notice that before, then I definitely recommend lightening it somewhat.

Even f_icon.png could do with a little lightening. I dislike these images being the dominant features of the pages I'm viewing what I really want to read the topic titles.

I think the unread posts that you've participated in (the star) looks too similar to the dots. It's easy to miss at a glance. The previous icon that had a paperclip or something was easy to distinguish because it had a different colour (the paperclip) to all of the other unread posts.

Merging discussion about dots, pretending not to have seen it yet.

Why pretend you haven't seen it yet?

Oh, next time you merge my topic with another, please PM me, especially if it's ao far away.

Not sure the logic behind this thread being in "Learning Chinese → General Study Advice and Discussion".

That aside...

No, that's it, nothing much else to say for now.

Because at the moment I'm not sure what to say / do :)

The topic's in here as it's fairly important and I figure more people will come across it.

That's roddy's humourous way of saying he'll put it on his list of things to do.

Nah, it's not there yet.

I just want to report that it is impossible to access this website from my office since the ... er ... change. I am not sure if this has to do with the website or our office's IT administration (perhaps they have banned this website). But if it is relevant to the change, perhaps something can be done here? I use IE7 and whenever I tried to access this website, I would see the upper half of the homepage and then a pop-up saying that the loading has been stopped. The same happened when I pressed refressh. And after repeated failures I would only see a page telling me that the website was not accessible. So I have stopped trying. I suspect that somehow it has to do with the browser as when I tried to access some google websites I got told that my browser was no longer supported. But as it is an office machine I have no right to update it or download alternative browsers without approval.

Skylee, that's a really hard one to diagnose. I suspect it may be a javascript issue - if you're able to turn javascript off that might help, and the forum should hopefully be usable. FWIW I'm not seeing any drop-off in the number of visits from people using Internet Explorer 7 (steady at a couple of hundred a day). I can't really suggest much beyond the usual clearing your cache, and so on - if you're getting specific error messages you could perhaps email them to me and we can see what we can figure out.

Edelweis, yes. I'm thinking it might make most sense to take the ones that we already have (only about 900 topics actually use them) and edit them onto the start of the first post.

I've just noticed this thread and, as a not-so-regular visitor at the moment have only recently noticed the upgrade. I much, much prefer it. All the options for viewing latest posts, latest posts I've subscribed to (for me that's just ones I've posted to) or even ones I've started. Love it.

I still wish hovering over the thread title displayed a bit from the first post (instead of "view result") without clicking on that preview icon, as I might as well just open the thread at that point. But hey, can't have everything. And it's a huge step in the right direction. Plus, call me crazy, but the colour scheme is fine.

• Like 1