Chinese-Forums

August Upgrade

roddy

I think I know how I fixed it, but considering that I broke it in the first place, I won't take too much credit.

I'm seeing people have trouble with formatting when (I think) they're copying and pasting in from Word or other programs - the rich text editor tries to copy the formatting and fails. Best thing to do, I think, is either turn off formatting, or use the 'paste from word' dialogue - these are the first and third icons on the top row of the editor.

If you have stopped getting e-mail notifications for threads you follow, check you "settings" on your "profile" page. They may have been lost. or changed in the switch. After several days of total silence from the forum, I checked and found that had happened to me, specifically the "notification options" had been reset to "never." .

• 3 weeks later...

Victory! I think I figured something out. After the upgrade (note the lack of quotation marks, you're welcome roddy :D ), I had a lot of trouble making edits to blog comments. Often, I would click edit, make my changes, save, and then my edits were gone. It seems that the problem occurs if one tries to make multiple edits back-to-back. If you click "refresh" between edits, I've had much better success having my edits stay.

Anyone else have similar problems? Or does everyone else proofread their posts well enough that they don't need to edit them 5 times? :wall

@jbradfor -- The "Post Preview" button is hidden now, but the feature still exists under the "More Reply Options" button.

I'm also a "heavy editor," but I try to mainly do it in "Preview" mode. Something embarrassingly stupid still sometimes slips through and I slap myself when I see it the next day and make a beeline for the "Edit" tab.

I sure hope we don't have to suffer through any more "upgrades" for a while. What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

I can't seem to find the "Mark all content as read" button, which used to be in the top right corner when viewing new posts. Is it just me, or it's someplace else in the new layout?

I've added a 'mark all as read' link to the user dropdown menu (under your username in the header) and explained where it is in the blurb on the new posts page.

This post has p and div tags all over the place

I haven't seen any of those since a minor upgrade last week, so hopefully it's stopped happening. If you notice any send in a post report. If it is happening, it's likely due to copying and pasting formatted content from Word.

Tapatalk is now enabled, but I'm not making a fuss about it as I am unlikely to have the time to support it if there are any problems.

Blog comment editing - I can see there being glitches if you're making multiple edits. Type more carefully. =*

I sure hope we don't have to suffer through any more "upgrades" for a while. What ever happened to "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

Well, if this is the worst suffering you have to deal with, life ain't that bad overall I'd guess. :) Some stuff was broke and needed fixed - the views for new / followed content are now light years ahead of what we had before, as zhjw, adrianlondon and gougou have, I think, pointed out. Back-end moderation of post by new users is way easier for admin staff now. I wouldn't imagine there will be any major upgrades until well into next year, if then - this was an upgrade from 3.1.4, to 3.2.1 (now 3.2.2, should be 3.2.3 in the next few weeks, but those 3.2.x upgrades are very minor - basically just bug fixes). But if any are released, the chances are we'll be better off with them, than without them.

That said, there are changes being made that I'm not entirely keen on myself. The little red number that alerts you to new private messages now resets when you read the drop down menu under it, rather than decrementing as you read the messages. That doesn't make much sense to me, and I've said so, as it makes it more likely that you'll miss messages.

What I would hope to see from the software vendors now is a period of bug fixes and usability improvements, rather than any new features.

We need a smilies cull, far too many.

I've done this now, basically cut them down to the way-back-when ones which I always preferred. Can't remember if that was the set which came with phpBB (God, that's going back) or VB. Kept this one from the other set :P as he's kind of cute and there wasn't an equivalent.

I have problems viewing the site on an iPad. Specifically, when you use the search bar it is supposed to pop up a google search results dialog. This sorta works, but the dialog doesn't seem to contain any entries, and the left side of it ends up offscreen.

There's a minor update coming soon (as I mentioned above) which apparently improves iPad functionality - hopefully this will be one of the things that is fixed, but I can't promise anything.

Well, if this is the worst suffering you have to deal with, life ain't that bad overall I'd guess.

Actually I think the forum looks good and works well. I enjoy using it and appreciate the efforts Roddy and the other Moderators put in to keep it up to snuff. I was just being curmudgeonly in expressing that petty gripe. Should have said "Thanks" instead.

• Like 1