Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - 2012 American/EU Applicants

Brian US

Thank you all for sharing! Good luck!!!

I am applying for a 4-5 year study in any university in China to get a masters or higher in politics/foreign relations, since I aim to work as an interpretor and document translator at the United Nations.

Before applying I plan to take the HSK, at least level 3. I will be attending an English class at my local community college (SRJC) in order to practice writing essays. I want my essay writing to be at its best before writing my essay for the CSC.

Even if I have to take another course, the main reason for studying in China is to have absolute immersion in Chinese language and culture. Subject matter is almost irrelavant, but studying politics would help prepare me for the UN.

Hey,

American living in China, starting the PKU short term language program in the spring but want to apply for the scholarship for the Fall semester.

Anyways, preparing all my documents for the application and I was wondering what the address for the DC Chinese consulate was, since it seems to be a good place to mail the application.

If someone could message me the address it'd be great.

Also, when we send the package, who should we mail it to "care of"? Is there a department or person that normally takes care of this we should name so they know what to do with it. I imagine if it ended up in the visa part of the office it would just confuse them and it might get lost in the shuffle.

Also, when we send the package, should we also post the CSC address on it, so it ends up there eventually?

Sorry, dumb questions, but I'm kinda retarded about these procedural things. One time, I spent over an hour thinking about what I should say when I ordered at Pizza Hut but got all nervous and forgot to tell them my address >___<

:)

• Like 1

• New Members

Hello guys!

I previoulsy obtained a partial scholarship through my university in the UK, financed by the Chinese Government (the application process would have to be made through the same website) and went to Peking University for 1 year.

I have now graduated and I would be very pleased to get one more chance to continue my studies in China.

I would like to know whether at this stage it would be possible for me to apply for two scholarship at the same time, both done through the laihua website but with different agency numbers:

these scholarships are both financed by the Chinese Government but the first one involves an application through the Shanghai University Agency number of whereas the other one would be done through the EU Agency number.

In addition, I would like to know whether or not someone had received a full scholarship for MBA Program as it would be more expensive compared to the other master or bachelor programs.

Thank you very much and good luck to everyone!!!!

• New Members

@Brian US

I am still confused about how this process works. Could you please help me out with clarifying few things in regards to this?

For the Italian Embassy Chinese Gov Scholarship, the Italian embassy will select 30 candidates to forward to the Chinese Gov Scholarship.

For the EU Chinese Gov Scholarship they will select 100 candidates in total (do I have to go through a selection process first? For example, through the Chinese embassy in Italy or something like this?)

Furthermore there is another way for me to apply to this Chinese Gov Scholarship, as Fudan Daxue has 30 candidates available for this selection (They suggest to apply directly with their agency number through the Chines Gov Scholarship website).

Would it be possible for me to try with both the Italian Embassy and EU China-Mission to be selected, or would that be better for me to go directly through the University agency number?

Thank you!!

@gianluca88

I don't think the agency number is too important as they may not send you to your first three choices. You could put in Fudan or the EU agency number, but I'm also not familiar with the Italian process. Have you contacted the Chinese embassy in Italy?

Finally time to start filling out the forms...

I want to study at SISU for 2 years so that I can have a broader choice in Master's programs (as I'd love to study at RenDa or Nanjing). However, I'm wondering if I should just gun for studying Chinese at RenDa or Nanjing to begin with. I'm afraid to do that because, from what I've read before in the other forums, they have a habit of just slashing the 2 years to 1 and throwing you into the program (if you apply for a degree program + language study)

Essentially, I'm afraid because SISU a tad expensive (for foreigners) and I may end up somewhere I dislike. But beggars can't be choosers :)

@ Brian, I contacted the DC Embassy last year, but would love to compare with what you have to see if we've got the same information.

Thanks again for doing this thread every year!

加油!

• New Members

Hey guys,

I am German and right now preparing all my documents for the application. But now I encountered a problem, namely that I as German can't apply the usual way.

They told me I have to give my documents to the so called DAAD in Germany and the deadline WAS in september. Now I am just able to maybe get a partial scholarship.

So my question is: Have you heard of that? Can I apply the normal way too? Anyone here had the same problem?

Xiexie

@DWSlater - if you wanted to go to Nanjing University, the deadline for applications was December 15 ... Nanjing Normal University is a decent school and I've heard their language program is fairly good (though it tends to go a bit fast with a lot of Korean students in there) ... Southeast University (dongnan) is a good school as well...

@ lan8

I guess it depends on your program. Many language programs don't even open their applications until the spring, so having an acceptance in hand already is improbable, as we'll most likely be submit all applications at once.

For masters programs that you're applying for immediate attendance to it seems like a good idea, as a acceptance to a program already signals that you are a 'worthy' student.

• Like 1

• New Members

Hello guys!

I was wondering whether or not anyone of you had received a scholarship for MBA Programs ??!

Since these programs are comparatively expensive, I personally believe that it would be basically impossible to get a scholarship of this kind!

I would like to apply for an MBA Program in Beijing, starting this September, and I still hope I could get some financial help somehow.

Thank you !

Hello all,

Just wanted to say thank you for all of this great information and introduce myself. I'm a US citizen, currently living in Japan, and looking to apply for the scholarship as a Chinese Language student. From what I have gathered, I will need to submit my documents to the DC embassy from Japan. I have some concerns about notarization and the physical examination, but I'm going to read through the archived posts a bit before asking to make sure my questions haven't already been answered there.

Thanks again!

Hmmm thanks for the info icebear. I guess i should still look into some of the individual universities though. I hope the fact that language apps arent even open yet doesnt affect my application, seeing as that's what i will be applying for.

@ lan8

Surely they must be aware of the timing differences between application periods for language programs and degree studies.

@gianluca88

No idea for CSC, but in general the scholarship situation is bleaker for MBAs everywhere, not just China. This has to do with the fact that average salaries tend to be so high for graduates (at least at decent schools), making schools inclined to provide loans instead of grants. Moreover, most of the better MBAs have students with 5-8 years of work experience under their belt, along with a bit of money stashed away from that (I don't think that is as common in China). Overall I think its a fair practice.

Heya. Very useful forum. I'm a masters student applying from the UK. I have a few questions.

1) Apply to Chinese embassy in UK or EU? - The EU has 100 places, does the UK have its own quota?

2) GUIDELINES FOR FILLING IN THIS FORM, 5. c. 'The final arrangement of institution is subject to the adjustment of CSC with your choices as references. If you have been accepted by a Chinese university, please attach the copy of their admission notice to your application materials.'

> Is it beneficial to apply to a university beforehand? Anyone else gone to all this trouble, or should one just leave the co-ordination to CSC. It seems like they [CSC] normally arrange this part anyway.

Cheers.