Chinese-Forums

Benny Lewis' 3-month quest to become fluent in Mandarin

Stephenson

@hanyu Yes, you are right that I certainly can't put 12 uninterrupted hours into Chinese every day, as I have a lot of my own responsibilities that require me to work in English. Luckily I was intentionally working over full time in November and December specifically to give me more free time now. What I do is only part-time work, but it's still several hours every day.

@jkhsu

My goal is to encourage language learners to take on Chinese. If at the end of these 3 months, people say that I've got some special language learning talent then I will be terribly disappointed. I'll explain everything I'm doing, which any other human can do.

Yes, there is a lot more to it than what you wrote, which I will continue blogging about as I apply them. Tomorrow (or very late today in Taiwan) I'll put out another blog post with a video that I feel summarises my best strategies more concisely than anything else I've done before, for this initial stage in the language. The content of the video will also answer any doubts that my motivation is to not make people think I have some special skills. I've had challenges that others haven't had, like needing speech therapy when growing up and having trouble forming my words in English at times.

I also spent six entire months living in Spain without learning Spanish. So I'm well aware of what is going on in expats' heads as they don't learn the local language. Despite these challenges if I can learn a language, anyone can! :)

My ultimate goal is to reduce the number of monolinguals in the world. Hopefully people can see that my heated and bold replies are motivated than this, rather than to claim that I'm cleverer than everyone else.

• Like 3

Benny,

If you only have three months, do yourself a favour - drop the Heisig and don't put too much time into characters. It is too time intensive for your project and doesn't fit your goal of interviewing in Chinese. If you develop a love for the language, you can come back to this later - but at this stage, for such a short timeframe, just focus on speaking.

If I were you, I would spend a few days just working on simple sentence drills - through some intensive repetition, you might internalise the tones and basic grammar patterns using a small vocab pool. I would agree with most, that you aren't going to achieve the level of fluency (C1) that you might aspire to, but you could - with determination - achieve some limited working proficiency with a narrow vocab set.

• Like 3

This is very unrealistic. Benny has to manage his websites, his books, create videos, write posts, write a lot of comments (not only here), eat, sleep, ....

I expect it to be exagerated but then the numbers fit so nicely:) However he claimed only two hours a day of English. Add 8 hours of sleep and a couple of hours for various other things and 10 to 12 hours of study/immersion remain.

Actually I don't care too much about the actual hours. The point is that a few months intensive work may very well match several years of work at a more modest intensity.

Drop the characters.... doesn't fit your goal of interviewing in Chinese.

I've said this before, but I'll clarify it: my goal is not to interview someone on camera!! That's just a video I'll put up for those curious of how well I'm speaking, which I only plan to think about just before I do it. My goal will be to have friends in the language and be able to enjoy myself in Taipei without leaning on English. I can't function in Taiwan unless I can read at some useful level.

As I've said before, working towards a test is a terrible idea. I plan to maintain Chinese permanently anyway, so I may as well do work on reading now, even if it will ultimately make my final video less impressive. There is no "if I fall in love with the language". ;)

But thanks for the tips otherwise! You are right about Heisig - it's a terrible book to actually study if you need to use the language right now. It presumes that you will get through the entire book before even really exposing yourself to the language so it's better suited to a long term strategy. I'm using it as reference instead, but am veering away from it as I use Pleco more, since I can create mnemonic images myself, although some of his suggestions are good and save me a little time.

And that concludes my English-time until the evening when I start working on the blog post! Thanks for the advice Kurtz!

No I don't. I wasn't aware that Couchsurfing.org is something "everybody" already uses as a language learning tool?

I don't think Couchsurfing has come up as a specific way to find language partners (it has come up for other things though), but a lot of the other stuff you're saying is just preaching to the converted, and we're still waiting to see why it'll be different for you than it was for us.

I've had challenges that others haven't had, like needing speech therapy when growing up

While definitely not typical, you're not alone in that regards when it comes to Mandarin learners either.

• Like 2

One nice thing about this thread is it led me to this video

by Steve Kaufman talking about Benny's initial claim that he would be fluent at three months.

Yes, another internet dude who has learned lots of languages, gives advice and also makes some money by promoting his amateur approach. But I'd never really paid him any attention before and actually I find I really agree with him, not just about Benny's Chinese goal, but also his preferred way of learning languages is very much where I'm heading as I start a new one. Though that might be because, if I remember right, several posters here like his approach which is perhaps why I've found myself already steered in that direction.

I think there's an instructive contrast between the two of them. Kenny is all about talking as much as possible from the start and avoiding what he calls anything "academic". Kaufman pushes comprehensible input (reading/listening) as the priority instead. I can see how Kenny's approach would motivate someone who thought all foreign languages were impossible, or who didn't like hard work. And the "talking lots" approach is great to impress people in a bar short-term.

But for the longer-term goal of using a foreign language at a higher level than that, I'm firmly on the "input" rather than "output" side (although with certain languages there's a case for working very hard on pronunciation right from the start too I think).

• Like 2

@Snigel Thanks - I (mostly) agree with your summary!

Since too many people here (despite very occasional helpful comments) are comparing me to Rosetta Stone (which I despise), saying I'm selling snake oil, demanding irrelevant personal information, constantly pouring really unhelpful discouragement on me, repeating the same statements that I'll fail miserably over and over again, and demanding that I explain myself when I've been ample patient with the aggressive tone in here thus far, I have to say that I'm quite sick of it, and will not be recommending the community aspect of this forum to my readers.

I've tried to let you all get it out of your system, but I can just see the unhelpful tone that too many of you have as going on endlessly. I don't have time for endless and pointless arguments; especially with my current objective.

I'll possibly continue to come back for more specific questions in different threads, as I'm sure everything you all know about Chinese can help me a lot. But frankly you guys (apparently all such great language experts, who know it all already) have a LOT to learn about encouraging those starting off in a language. You've done a terrible job at welcoming me here and at setting me on a path that would encourage me to learn Chinese better, and the attitude you all present here is exactly the kind of shite I'm trying to fight, which ultimately encourages monolingualism.

Your love for Chinese and its complexities is killing other people's chances to even get started when you present it as so impossible. It's true that you aren't my audience, since I'm trying to encourage language learning, and you don't need that encouragement. But the message you share is the kind of damage I'm trying to undo with my blog, and you all probably don't realise how many times you may have prevented someone from learning Chinese in the first place, or helped them to give up early, if you've talked to any optimistic and enthusiastic learners like me in the same way.

I'm unfollowing this thread so that I don't start my little time online to unwind in English after a rough day struggling in a strange country with no friends yet with such energy sappers any more; I need a community who will both tell me to be realistic and at least point me in the right direction. Only a small number of you here have been doing that, and I thank you for it, but the noise of everyone else's contributions is drowning your help out.

I need to use my time learning Chinese efficiently and share my struggles and minor victories with people who treat me like a human being. I thought this forum's community could help, which is why I was trying to clear all this confusion people have about what I'm doing, but I have to give up at a certain stage. I'll only come back for technical questions in future.

You'll see how I'm doing on my blog in future, but this is the video I was talking about earlier (my TEDx talk). I will no longer be updating in this thread and expect it to turn to nothing but laughs at mistakes I make as I upload videos, although I hope it just dies. If anyone has any constructive criticism that can actually help me, please send them over to me in the comments on the blog as I write my updates. Thanks.

• Like 2

To be honest I was keen to close it anyway - any additions to the sum total of human knowledge occured in the first two pages, the rest has just been going round in circles. I appreciate some people might enjoy that, but it makes me dizzy and it distracts from our core business.

I did see this on another website:

This horse has been beaten several times now and nothing new comes of it. Everyone has stated their criticisms and counterarguments ad nauseum. Any future threads on the topic will be deleted or closed without a warning. This goes for Benny lovers as well as Benny haters.

• Like 1