Chinese-Forums

any good TV series recently?

realmayo

On 3/26/2024 at 10:17 PM, StChris said:

The Netflix version of The Three Body Problem has been released. What does everyone think? There is a Chinese dub which isn't too bad, but I prefer the original English.

I've also just watched the first episode so far and my opinion seems to be the same as yours, not terrible but not especially engaging either. Will probably finish it at some point, but feels like im doing it more out of curiosity to see what they changed etc rather than any actual urge to watch it for my own enjoyment.

On 3/28/2024 at 6:04 AM, sekkar said:

I've also just watched the first episode so far and my opinion seems to be the same as yours, not terrible but not especially engaging either. Will probably finish it at some point, but feels like im doing it more out of curiosity to see what they changed etc rather than any actual urge to watch it for my own enjoyment.

Apparently, episode 5 is a real banger (it's where the big action set piece takes place), so I think I'll make my way through to there at least. 

I watched episode 2 yesterday. While I appreciate the faster pace of this version over the super-slow Chinese one, I think they were a little too rushed to the point that

Spoiler

Ye WenJie's hatred for humanity wasn't quite well developed enough by the end of episode 2 for her to take the decision she did

I find the whole Oxford friends group they created in this one a little cringey. The friendships/romances just seem so forced and artificial. I don't think you need that kind of stuff in a sci-fi show anyway and prefer the Chinese version's nano-tech guy. It's also a shame that they didn't use the show as an opportunity to show modern China to a world audience instead of going for England as a setting.

On 3/29/2024 at 2:10 PM, lordsuso said:

Only 8 episodes and available in youtube.

Music to my ears, I'll give it a try for sure, thanks for the recommendation! I must be getting old, but I find these kind of 90s films/tv shows really nostalgic

• Like 2

Currently watching (and almost finished) 繁城之下, a murder mystery set in Ming (?) China. Well plotted and well acted, nothing bad to say about it really. Both me and my wife is looking forward to seeing the conclusion to the story tonight.

And the biggest draw: only 12 episodes! As @StChris recently mentioned, nobody wants these bloated 40 episode seasons... Give us something with a tight and focused script, no by-the-rails forced love stories or useless side-stories that take up 5 hours. 

I do have hope that Chinese productions are learning though, it feels like we've gotten much more of these high-quality shorter stories these last few years. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I am close to finishing  四世同堂 (1985), a very interesting and moving story adapted from a novel by Lao She that I haven't read, dealing with the Japanese occupation of WW2. I prefer older tv shows because there is no annoying background music, and from my narrow experience the acting tends to be better. This show definitely broadened my cultural understanding of China and its social values, because I was frequently puzzled by the character's actions (e.g. multiple honour-related suicides, or when they force a widow to remarry right away to "save her"). 28 episodes available in youtube.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 5/19/2024 at 11:28 AM, lordsuso said:

I am close to finishing  四世同堂 (1985),

I didn't know there was a film. The novel is a door stopper, not difficult to read but I could never finish reading it.

I hesitate a little to recommend the IQIYI series "To the Wonder" (My Altay) here because it's rather 'niche' and has a feminist focus, but since I liked it I'm sure others would too...Here goes: it's only 8 one-hour episodes, directed by a young woman film maker, Teng Congcong, is based on Li Juan's essay collections about her life in Xingjiang and quite unlike any Chinese TV series I have watched before. It doesn't have a huge story and not a great deal of action, but it is a rare visual treat from beginning to end and will probably stay imprinted on your brain long after The End. According to "6th Tone", it was a big success in China. It skirts the recent years' situation in Xingjiang, and shows the Kazakhs with quite a bit of muted affection. Part of the cast, especially the non-Han are non-professionals and do quite well portraying themselves. I thought all the cast performed really well, but the main star here is the cinematography. The language is mixed, you'll need subtitles unless fluent in Kazakh.

Here are a couple of reviews:    

China’s TV Hit of the Year Is a Drama About Kazakh Nomads (sixthtone.com)  

WARNING: Packed full of spoilers! Review: To The Wonder (My Altay) C-Drama. More Than a Cross-Cultural Encounter (asiandramahub.com)   

I haven't found this series anywhere besides IQIYI (who offer a generous discount in their first month subscription), Youtube has a few trailers and might eventually have the whole series but it may take a long time.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1