Chinese-Forums

The 2020 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

∞保罗∞

13 minutes ago, mackie1402 said:

I see you're based in Europe. Sign up at Dalarna university online for free Chinese courses. I'd sign up for Written Chinese 3.

Wow, that is so cool! Thanks so much for the tip, I'm on their website now, checking how to sign up.

Mandarin:

- Finish learning HSK4 Grammar Points

- Review HSK4 Vocab

- Read a lot of HSK4 level material

- Write HSK4 Computerized Test

Cantonese:

- Be able to carry on a basic conversation by end of the year

- Finish Pimsleur Cantonese 1

- Finish "A shortcut to Cantonese" textbook.

- 15 minutes a day of Glossika

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jannesan said:

I'm on their website now, checking how to sign up.

universityadmissions.se

8 hours ago, ∞保罗∞ said:

Mackie thanks for the heads up on Dalarna- it looks great - also I’m in Dublin does that mean it’s free for me as well? How does it work all fully online ? 

Basically all countries in the European get free education at Swedish universities (I believe that's how it works). So I've been studying there for a year now doing 45 credits a semester. It's been free so far, but I believe when I start courses next September (2020) I'll have to pay tuition fees because of Brexit (as I'm from England). The courses are fine, not amazing. On my course the classes are really mixed. There are people who have passed HSK5 in the same class as people who still can't really read and struggle to pronounce a lot of words. As it's free, it's not got the most serious students learning there. But as long as you turn up to class online, do the assignments and take part in the lectures, you'll see a big improvement. 

My primarily goal is consistency,  to study every day without break the streak.

1-My current streak is 56 days I want to put more 365 days on it.

2- finish pismleur chinese: 4 / 150 units

3-finish hsk 4 vocabulary and study grammar and do the exam in September.

4-Estudy 34 new cads a day in anki

• Like 3

I'm really psyched to see so many motivated ppl with measureable goals. Really cool. But I'm a little surprised there are much more 'non-interactive' study goals than 'interactive' ones. Isn't the goal of learning a language to, well, use the language? Anyone think they can sub out one of their flash card goals or vocab lists for conversations or social activities with Chinese? 

I promise, it will be at least 3x more effective than looking at a piece of paper ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, js6426 said:

I am still trying to figure out the best way to make more Chinese friends.

Read Takeshi's advice here (and his other posts in that thread too). In summary: making Chinese friends is great, but if your main goal (or an important goal) of that friendship is language practice, anyone who speaks Chinese with, to or at you suffices, they don't have to be friends. You don't even have to like them.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1