Chinese-Forums

The 2020 Aims and Objectives Progress Topic

∞保罗∞

3 minutes ago, timseb said:

I think Niezi will be a great read, but I'm scared it's still too difficult for me.

Niezi is great but I'd also be wary, last time I read any Bai Xianyong (which is years ago) I found it pretty difficult. But just try it, and if it's too hard, try the Niezi tv series, which is also great though in a different way.

• Helpful 1

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, jannesan said:
  • take HSK5 and pass with a good score Nope, didn't want to do the online test
  • read a few easy Chinese novels Yes, on my 7th right now, and will be done before the end of the year:)

You read 7 novels in 2020 being at HSK 5 level? Jaw drop! ?

14 hours ago, Jan Finster said:

I have encountered them 30-50 times this year. I only understand about 70-80% of the TCB audio versions of texts I have read in the past and my speaking is still HSK 3 ish (at best). ?

Welcome to the intermediate plateau.  

Everyone who achieves a high level of Chinese has been there. 

The only way out is through. 

38 minutes ago, matteo said:

so I think I can't get rid of it yet - but it's very time consuming and doing it day in day out is a bit of a weight on the mind.

You’d be better off only learning words, then using Pleco for the auto dictionary entries and zero maintenance flash cards, and then spending the extra time you save on reading.

If you read enough, then in any given year you’ll encounter all the useful words multiple times and that will provide the context and help you need in remembering the word. 

Flash card review should never be the learning activity you spend the most time on. 

• Like 1

I am definitely considering doing that, might take these upcoming Christmas holidays as the pretext to switch...what holds me back is the idea of letting go of a system that worked pretty well for years and provided me with a clear daily commitment. It feels a bit like removing the training wheels! 

2 hours ago, matteo said:

vocabulary: 650 words added in Anki this year. It's not many really considering the time I spend reviewing every day (45 mins on average)

What is your leeching threshold? I don't know how you're structuring your flashcards, but that sounds like a lot of time to have spent on 650 words...

1 hour ago, jiaojiao87 said:

What books did you read, if you don't mind sharing?

In order I read:

许三观卖血记 

小王子

活着

aborted 江城 by Peter Hessler 

草鞋湾

now reading 山楂树之恋 

46 minutes ago, 大块头 said:

What is your leeching threshold? I don't know how you're structuring your flashcards, but that sounds like a lot of time to have spent on 650 words...

leeching threshold is 8 (standard) but have very few leeches. The long time is due I believe mainly to two factors:

1) since the very beginning when I started using anki I've been used to noting down whole sentences or paragraphs and I read them for each card. For instance, my card for "规矩" shows me the word, plus this sentence 按规矩凤霞得一个月以后回来,我们也得一个月以后才能去看她。Sometimes I have 2 or 3 sentences when the word has different meanings in different contexts. I usually read all the sentences for each card and often check other words in the sentence which are not the main word. I end up spending about 20 seconds on each card, which is quite a bit.

2) I have about 4000 active cards in the deck, which means every day I get about 140 cards

I think this was a really good system at the beginning but I agree it's now too high maintenance and getting out of hand...I'm absolutely keen on changing it, I' just want to be sure that what I go for is not worse ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, matteo said:

2) I have about 4000 active cards in the deck, which means every day I get about 140 cards

In b4 Imron comes by to tell you to delete the whole deck and start afresh.

I myself am not a 'delete the deck' person (I make my decks myself, painstakingly, Chinese to Dutch and vice versa, with example sentences, so there is too much effort invested there), but your deck does sound rather bloated and you might want to consider some kind of purge. Either by following Imron's path or perhaps by deleting individual cards as you come across them and find them either overly easy or not very useful.

14 hours ago, Tomsima said:

As for 2021, I believe the thread hasnt been made yet, so I'll go and do that later unless someone else wants to take the lead?

Yes, go for it!

8 hours ago, matteo said:

@jannesan could you please give me the titles of the novels you read?

• 地久天长
  • 撒哈拉的故事
  • 许三观卖血记
  • 活着
  • 非暴力沟通
  • 欢乐英雄
  • 流星·蝴蝶·剑 (currently 4/5 through this)

If I had to pick one to recommend that you haven't read, I'd say 欢乐英雄. 古龙's writing is simple and has a good flow. But also pretty sexist, though 欢乐英雄 is not that bad in that regard. A few more books on my list to read next:

• 草房子 - 曹文轩
  • 一地鸡毛 - 刘震云
  • 看见 - 柴静
  • 围城 - 钱钟书

25 minutes ago, Lu said:

Either by following Imron's path or perhaps by deleting individual cards as you come across them and find them either overly easy or not very useful.

How about just suspending the cards that are not useful anymore, then you can reuse them again in the future if they become more relevant again. I also put quite some effort in creating good Anki cards, so deleting just doesn't make any sense if you can also just suspend them.

• Thanks 1
  • Helpful 1

On 12/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, Lu said:

In b4 Imron comes by to tell you to delete the whole deck and start afresh.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:13 AM, Lu said:

I make my decks myself, painstakingly,

On 12/23/2020 at 9:43 AM, jannesan said:

I also put quite some effort in creating good Anki cards, so deleting just doesn't make any sense if you can also just suspend them.

Are you hoping to become a collector of painstakingly created, artisan Anki decks, or are you hoping to learn Chinese?

Granted those aims aren't mutually exclusive, but surely the point of flashcards is to learn Chinese, rather than to accumulate decks of flashcards that may or may not be useful in reaching that goal.

The whole point of deleting decks is to make sure the vocab you are focused on is recently relevant, and to get to a point where you spend almost zero time crafting and maintaining decks (which helps prevent getting emotionally attached to them).

• Like 1