Chinese-Forums

Coronavirus - those in China, and general discussion

Jan Finster

Your phone is keeping track of your location, and quite openly now.

Send an SMS and you'll get back an official 行程证明 of the cities you've been in within the past 15 and 30 days. For China Mobile, send "cxmyd" to 10086. (You have to reply back with the last 4 digits of your passport number.)

Here's the official announcement:

http://www.gov.cn/fuwu/2020-02/18/content_5480444.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Our village has two purified water machines down by the committee offices, it's CNY1 for 20 litres, coin operated or you can by a swipe card you charge. Only designed for the half-size jugs but someone's helpfully tinkered with one of them so you can fit the big standard ones you get on most water dispensers in.

Advisable not to drink the water in Beijing even when boiled. Metal content from the pipes (or something similar?) doesn’t boil away. So far some brands of of the big water cooler bottles are easy to get while others aren’t. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 889 said:

Water in Beijing, at least in some parts of the city, comes from deep wells in limestone. Boil it away and there'll be a fine white grainy deposit left. That's calcium carbonate and harmless.

It’s not the water source, it’s the pipes it comes through. This is one reason why people say don’t drink it. I also rarely hear of anyone, even Chinese people, directly drinking it. Like Jim mentioned, many locals use the water filter machines to refill a big water bottle. 

• Like 1

"在中国虽然广告向消费者传达的信息是瓶装水干净,安全,健康,但这不能代表所有瓶装水和包装水产品。2015年中国食品监管部门抽检的结果表明,407种被查出的有问题饮料中有将近400种是不合格的瓶装水和包装水。"

https://www.bbc.com/zhongwen/simp/chinese-news-41975856

So pick your poison.

I go for the one that's free.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, imron said:

According to this, there might also be heavy metals and pesticides depending on the part of Beijing you are in.

Yes, this is most likely. My Chinese friends are mortified by the idea of using tap water for making tea. It is certainly not because of a bit of calcium carbonate or iron. Considering the quality of Chinese air (=pollution), I do not even want to imagine what is in the (tap) water.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jan Finster said:

Yes, this is most likely. My Chinese friends are mortified by the idea of using tap water for making tea. It is certainly not because of a bit of calcium carbonate or iron. Considering the quality of Chinese air (=pollution), I do not even want to imagine what is in the (tap) water.

Ok, so now I've stopped worrying about the coronavirus and started worrying about all the boiled tap water I've been drinking over the past 18 months!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I'm not bothered to be honest.id imagine every restaurant is using tap water for drinks, hot water etc

Sure

50 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

Can't say I've noticed any difference in the last 5 or 6 years I've been here.

You would not....but maybe it would affect your health 30 years later...

51 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

I wouldn't drink tap water directly though. 

The only thing boiling does is to kill germs in the water and only if you boil it for 1 minute (the minute starts when your automatic boiler typically stops (https://www.businessinsider.com/how-long-you-need-to-boil-tap-water-2017-9?r=DE&IR=T)

Here about chemicals in Chinese tap water:

https://www.purelivingchina.com/blog/what-pollutants-are-chinas-tap-water

https://www.businessinsider.com/toxic-chemicals-tap-drinking-water-2019-4?r=DE&IR=T#lead-poisoning-was-at-the-heart-of-the-flint-crisis-but-its-also-a-problem-in-places-like-detroit-pittsburgh-and-washington-dc-1

57 minutes ago, DavyJonesLocker said:

d imagine every restaurant is using tap water for drinks

You are in so far right as whatever you eat in China may have the same contaminants as animals and plants are not "fed" bottled water. This does not, however, make it safe. Even though most of us love Chinese food, you do not want to make a chemical analysis of it. This is not just a problem in aqua culture, which is basically bathed in antibiotics, but also other food.