Chinese-Forums

HSK online test "at home edition" 居家网考 May-June 2020 (COVID special)

mungouk

20 hours ago, Milkybar_Kid said:

Nottingham - doing HSK 1-6 on 28 June.  See website for registration and payment details; also this PDF.

Sorry to ask stupid questions, but not much time and don't want to miss out...

On the page there is access to pay for it through the Nottingham site, but in the extended instructions, it says go to chinesecn.com to register.

Which is it? Or is it both?

I don't want to make any mistakes here!

I'm just the messenger... if you have any questions contact Shanshan.Chen@nottingham.ac.uk

In the PDF it says to follow steps 1, 2 and 3 as on the web page.  Clearly the web page has been edited in haste and is a bit confusing.

7 minutes ago, mungouk said:

I'm just the messenger... if you have any questions contact Shanshan.Chen@nottingham.ac.uk

In the PDF it says to follow steps 1, 2 and 3 as on the web page.  Clearly the web page has been edited in haste and is a bit confusing.

Ah good, I'm glad it's not just me reading it wrong!

thanks, I'll email them now!

16 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Warning: The http://www.chinesetest.cn/ site is pretty awful.

The list of test centres doesn't include Nottingham

and the ID thing is passport resident permit or ID. This isn't going to be easy.

I was hoping to use driving license.

Passport is the only foreign ID accepted for anything in China, I think.

Nottingham 诺丁汉 is here, listed on Page 3 of the search results for UK centres (click to enlarge image):

384008835_Screenshot2020-06-05at14_06_41.thumb.png.9b0e74aac53eaaeab26bd968cb821ca3.png

edit: clicking on the Detail link does show a test on 28 June, which looks like it allows registration OK.

2 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Passport is the only foreign ID accepted for anything in China, I think.

damn

that's that then!

I'll have to apply for another one

3 hours ago, TaxiAsh said:

damn

that's that then!

I'll have to apply for another one

Unbelievable, I've been trying all day to apply for a passport, but they aren't issuing them at the moment unless compassionate grounds.

I even tried to go down this road, but have to provide evidence!

@TaxiAsh

I just noticed that on Nottingham's HSK web page it says you need to supply "A scanned copy of the same personal ID you used when registering for the exam in step two (ID card, driving licence or passport)".

Maybe you could double-check with Ms Chen there that they will accept your driving licence instead?

So far I've sat HSK exams in Singapore and China, and in both cases they told me that a passport was the only acceptable ID.  Sounds like it's worth a try though!

1 minute ago, mungouk said:

I just noticed that on Nottingham's HSK web page it says you need to supply "A scanned copy of the same personal ID you used when registering for the exam in step two (ID card, driving licence or passport)".

Maybe you could double-check with Ms Chen there that they will accept your driving license instead?

So far I sat HSK exams in Singapore and China, and in both cases they told me that a passport was the only acceptable ID.  Sounds like it's worth a try though!

Yes, it looks good so far.

I went on chinesetest.cn again and where it says ID, I clicked 'other' then put in my driving license (as it said must be government document)

and it seemed to accept it

So then, I went onto Nottingham, paid the £10, and followed the instructions and emailed MsChen with all the photo receipt etc.

No response yet, but only sent this morning.

Hopefully it's all good. The chinesetext says it will send a code or ticket (can't remember the wording now) a few days before the test.

Hopefully, I've done everything right,.

have you managed to sort anything out? @mungouk

• Like 1

Well, I had been thinking of doing HSKK intermediate (for the second time) but it sounds like they're not running the oral exams in June.

I'm currently dithering about whether to register for the HSK 4 on 28 June.  I just did a mock test and it looks like I passed it. I'm likely to be pretty busy with work over the next couple of weeks, but might go for it anyway.

5 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Well, I had been thinking of doing HSKK intermediate (for the second time) but it sounds like they're not running the oral exams in June.

I'm currently dithering about whether to register for the HSK 4 on 28 June.  I just did a mock test and it looks like I passed it. I'm likely to be pretty busy with work over the next couple of weeks, but might go for it anyway.

Yes, it could be next academic year before next chance. So might be worth it.

I'm also hoping to find out the times on the 28th, as although I'm not quite ready for HSK2, I have 12 days and opposite to you - I'm currently not working. So I could spend 12 days really hammering some study.

7 minutes ago, mungouk said:

I just did a mock test and it looks like I passed it.

What do you use for mock tests?

I've been looking at this one, but not sure how up to date it is.

https://mandarinbean.com/hsk-chinese-test-online/

You have to register (for free), but this site is a lot closer to the actual test you will do on 28 June: http://cnhsk.org/mk

It's almost identical to the one I wrote about in another thread 2 years ago, and it runs in a browser window.

The official test involves downloading and running a Windows program, and since I'm a Mac user I still need to go through the hassle of installing Windows on it.

The official Hanban site also has mock online tests, but you have to pay 20 RMB a time to do them:  http://www.chinesetest.cn/gosimexam.do
I haven't tried those yet.

37 minutes ago, TaxiAsh said:

I'm also hoping to find out the times on the 28th

They usually stagger the timings so that HSK 1, 3, 5 all start at the same time and HSK 2, 4, 6 at a different time, which makes it possible to sit two different levels like HSK 1 and 2 on the same day.

3 minutes ago, mungouk said:

You have to register (for free), but this site is a lot closer to the actual test you will do on 28 June: http://cnhsk.org/mk

Noted and joining now!

3 minutes ago, mungouk said:

The official Hanban site also has mock online tests, but you have to pay 20 RMB a time to do them:  http://www.chinesetest.cn/gosimexam.do
I haven't tried those yet.

At that price I might have a go. I have a WeChat account so perhaps can pay using that

4 minutes ago, mungouk said:

They usually stagger the timings so that HSK 1, 3, 5 all start at the same time and HSK 2, 4, 6 at a different time, which makes it possible to sit two different levels like HSK 1 and 2 on the same day

Yeah that's good idea.

I'll have a go at some more tests and see if I dare go for HSK2. I struggle only with the listening tasks!

thanks for links, I appreciate it :)

11 minutes ago, TaxiAsh said:

Joined it, but in the mocks, everything is hanzi! damn!

Instructions might all be in Hanzi, but you can install a browser plugin like Zhongwen to read them if you need it.

The actual test should have pinyin as well as any Hanzi.

6 minutes ago, mungouk said:

Instructions might all be in Hanzi, but you can install a browser plugin like Zhongwen to read them if you need it.

The actual test should have pinyin as well as any Hanzi.

Brilliant, thanks for all your help

• Like 1

Actually the google translate extension is probably more use, if you need to translate a whole page.

As for the pinyin, yes it's there.  For the earlier questions it's just pictures.

1694092360_Screenshot2020-06-06at19_36_15.thumb.png.3623db26e35cf6c6c81752ddd67f08ca.png350422227_Screenshot2020-06-06at19_37_26.thumb.png.2dbaa2f035b6119229c0d8eb4451d370.png

• Like 1