Chinese-Forums

HSK 3.0 ... new, new HSK?

realmayo

Preorder English version:

国际中文教育中文水平等级标准(英文版)

other shop (book available):

【新书上架】国际中文教育中文水平等级标准 英文版

《国际中文教育中文水平等级标准(英文版)》全新出版

英文版由上海大学外国语学院张新玲教授团队翻译,内容充实详尽。其词汇表涵盖“三等九级”整个框架,共收入约1万个词语,每个词语不但标注拼音、词性,还以英文列出了从本义到引申义的所有义项,词汇表几乎相当于一本简明汉英词典;语法等级大纲的所有例词、例句均有英译,文字通顺地道,帮助读者通过实例掌握较为抽象的语法知识。

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 8:40 PM, Glyn said:

Any idea how someone outside of China can order from one of these sites?

Simple, Just Chinese bank account and address. Only second one need wechat account, because it is shop on Wechat. 

If you want using visa, it is better use TaoBao.

A few days, they released it, There are many shops selling it.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought some of the books above.

The Framework of Reference for Chinese Culture and Society in International Chinese Language Education is not related with the Standard at all. The book is about cultural teaching designed for primary school, secondary school, and college/university/adult students.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that this arose as a result of COVID, but it might also be related with the HSK 3.0 rollout.  Once people were taking the HSK at home, they added the oral requirement (it seems to be a kind of anti-cheating mechanism).  To my knowledge (and I'm not 100% sure) this is the current situation outside of China for at home exams and is currently the case in China for at home exams (although I didn't even know at home exams existed in China, so I think they're rare), and starting in January 2023, will be the case inside China for all exams.  It seems they're in the process of being merged together.

I note that I registered for October's HSK6 exam in Beijing (handwritten), and didn't need to book for the HSKK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Argh!  I think I messed up today's HSK6.  I think the page of text in the writing section had two sides, but I didn't realize, and only read one side.  :(  I sent them an email, they said there's nothing on the other side (it had the instructions).

Anyway, here's my official guess at what my marks will be:  Listening 75, Reading 65, and Writing 55.

I did poorly in the writing section, but mostly because I wasn't able to extract the main plot of the story.  (I.e., my reading was the problem, not my writing per se.)

[Oops, I meant to post this https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/20933-taking-the-hsk-already-taken-it-report-in-here/page/31/#comments  Could it be moved please?  I guess I was rather "out of it" after the exam.]

• Like 3

On 10/20/2022 at 7:30 PM, erlenwein said:

HSK 7 to 9 seem to be available on the chinesetest website now, but when you go to register for the exam it says there are no countries matching your search. 

Wow, it seems there's been an announcement!  I'll translate:

HSK(七—九级)将于2022年11月26日进行全球首考。欢迎全球考点及广大考生踊跃报名!

HSK 7-9 will begin on the 26th of November.  Test centers and students are welcome to sign up.

HSK(七—九级)采用计算机网考形式,暂不提供纸笔考试。

HSK 7-9 is a computer based text; currently there's no paper-based test.  (Which I guess implies no handwriting (?))

They give the HSK 7-9 structure as follows:

640.thumb.png.07b99155a3e6e3c1ce5cf2933c96679b.png

Here's my translation:

Listening [~30 minutes; 40 questions]

Includes news reports; business negotiation, arguments, and interviews; talks and lectures; documentaries; meeting speeches; etc.

(i) 10 true/false questions, (ii) 9 objective + 3 subjective choose-the-right-answer questions, (iii) 15 objective + 3 subjective choose-the-right-answer questions.

Reading [60 minutes; 47 questions]

Includes news reports; pop science articles; investigation reports; academic articles; China culture and summary; etc.

(i) 28 choose-the-right-answer questions, (ii) 5 choose-the-correct-order questions, (iii) 14 subjective succinct-reply questions

Writing [55 minutes; 2 questions]

Describe and analyze a diagram; give and justify your opinion on a topic.

(i) 200-hanzi writing about an image, (ii) 600-hanziwriting a topic.

Translation [41 minutes; 4 questions]

Given expository writing, narration, argumentative texts and other distinct genres of non-Chinese materials, translate [writing] or interpret [oral] into Chinese.

(i) 2 hand-translation tasks, (ii) 2 oral translation tasks.

Speaking [~24 minutes; 5 questions]

Given practical writing, narration, argumentative texts or other materials, paraphrase or give your own point of view.

(i) 1 "read and say", (ii) 3 combined-materials reply to questions, (iii) 1 express your point of view.

Presumably 笔译 implies typing for the computer exam.

If you scan the QR code, it gives you the length of the test:

1750625019_Screenshot2022-10-20at21-11-15HSK(3)(1)(1)_pdf.thumb.png.0771fcbb4a7fa6e356ef984b91bb1ba9.png

In the morning, there's 3 hours of exam, plus a 10 minute rest.  There's an extra half-hour in the afternoon.  There's 3 1/2 hours spent on examination and goes from 9am to 2.30pm.

The pdf also says:

注:本次考试翻译部分均为外译中,翻译材料提供英语、越南语、泰语、日语、韩语五种语言。考生报名时须选择一种语言。

They say they provide materials in English, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, and Korean, for the translation components.

• Like 3

Can't wait to register for the HSK 7-9! I messaged our local test center here in Guangzhou and waiting for their reply on when they start organizing the new test. I haven't been on these forums for years after I completed HSK6 in 2011 and 2013. Since then I've been Teaching Chinese and now I'm super excited that I finally have a new test to study for! For me it's a big motivational boost, as in my daily life and work I mostly work around levels 1-4. 

In this thread I saw many people commenting how silly it is to take levels 1-2, but actually they can be rather important for the beginners to set goals and motivate themselves. I work with adult learners and for them the HSK is an easy way to set a measurable goal. 

Edit: Test center in Guangzhou confirmed the test will be on November 26th and registration should be opened a bit later, maybe in a week. 

• Like 2

For those who don't know, the chinesetest.cn website in Chinese has more news that the English version.  In particular, there's a news article 依据《国际中文教育中文水平等级标准》调整“中文水平考试HSK”的说明 which discusses the HSK 3.0 rollout.  It mentions the HSK7-9 rollout, and talks about how HSK1-6 will change:

HSK现有1-6级不变

目前正在实施的HSK1-6级近期不会调整,考试效力、考试内容、参考词汇及考试形式不变,将继续稳定实施。参加HSK1-6级的考生成绩仍然有效,已取得的证书效力不变。依据HSK1-6级编写、开发的教材和课程仍可继续使用。未来2-3年HSK1-6级将会依据《标准》和各国中文学习者实际情况,逐步进行调整,总体上将继续秉承“以学习者为中心”的理念,坚持考教结合、循序渐进的原则,在《标准》所规定的范围内进行适度调整。

They explain how the current HSK1-6 meets the current needs of students, so won't be changed immediately.  It'll be adjusted gradually over the next 2-3 years.

I also wish to point out how they refer to HSK6 is 中等水平 = "intermediate level".

• 2 weeks later...

There's a new website called HSKMock which contains mock exams for the HSK (levels 1-6) and YCT.  The announcement is here in English and here in Chinese.

It appears that price is now US$8.99 for 20 "diamonds", which is enough for one HSK6 mock exam (or two HSK1 exams), which is an steep increase from 20 yuan (~US$2.70) on the chinesetest.com website.  The vocabulary listed on their webpage is HSK 2.0 , not HSK 3.0.  (Note that the book 汉语水平考试真题集 HSK 六级 2018版 Official Examination Papers of HSK (Level 6) contains five HSK6 mock exams from 2018, and there are past HSK6 exams available here for free (they're ~10 years old now, and the questions are significantly easier than the current HSK6).)

Assessment by professional examiners
Questions that cannot be auto-marked are assessed for you by professional examiners.

The website says the "questions that cannot be auto-marked" (i.e., the writing section) is marked by humans.  I don't think my HSK6 chinesetest.cn mock exam writing section results were marked by a human (I scored exactly 65 five times in a row; that's probably not a coincidence).

• 1 month later...

Hi,

In the book version of the Standard, there's explanation regarding the wordlist as follow:

一般轻读、间或重读的字,注音时标声调,同时在该字的拼音前加上圆点,如“道理”标音为“dào.lǐ”.

- Can anyone explain what the above sentence really means?
- What is 一般轻读、间或重读的字? Which character is this? The 道 or the 理?
- Why the lǐ in dàolǐ is 该字的拼音?

Thanks in advance.

I got this answer from yuzhouxingzou at hinative:

In facts, most of chinese don't do that. at least, i never learnt that when i study Pinyin. then, i search this sentence in google and find out a document(汉语国际教育用音节汉字词汇等级划分) which published by chinese goverment, in this document, i find out that sentence, the whole paragraph is "(quote)6.3.7 《分级词汇表》中拼音标注说明:一般轻读、间或重读的字,注音上标调号,注音前再加圆点。如“道理”标音为“dao · Ii",说明“理”一般读轻声,有时候读本调。".so it just to show what the token means in 《分级词汇表》(a part of this document). it just want to make learners to speak words natively.
after you know these things, you will know answers.
in "轻读、间或重读的字", “轻读” means read stressly. "重读" means read unstressly. "间或"means sometime(有时), so it means 'the character which (usually) read unstressly but read stressly sometime'. "同时在该字的拼音前加上圆点" means they will mark a "·" in front of the character which 轻读、间或重读. (and you can see 拼音 and 标音 in your sentence, they are different, 拼音 just means 拼音, but 标音 over there means editor‘s mark to let reader know how to read it)
actually, as a native chinese speaker, i can't tell you which word will 轻读, because we never think before say them. but i can give you a example for you. the character 理, in 道理 we read li, but in 理论 we read lǐ
该字 refers to 理, so lǐ in dàolǐ is 该字的拼音
if you still don't know the meaning of that sentense, just know it's useless. if you understand and have a bit interested it, don't get to the bottom, because it is useless and it just a kind of token in a dictionary(although it's not a dictionary)

There are standard 规范 for Pinyin, Chinese language has many words as 多音字 character with more than one pronunciation。

HSK designed for 口语 spoken language

轻读: unstressed like 比如“妈•妈 māma”。

重读: stress (on a syllable)

重读zhòngdú 把一个词或一个词组里的某个音节或语句里的某几个音节读得重些,强些。例如‘石头、棍子’两个词里,第一个音节重读。‘老三’这个词里,第二个音节重读。‘过年’里‘过’字重读是‘明年’的意思;‘年’字重读是‘过新年’的意思。stress; emphasis placed on a syllable in a word or a phrase, or on several syllables in a sentence, e.g. the stress for 石头 shí·tou and 棍子 gùn·zi is put on the first syllable, but for 老三 lǎosān, the stress is on the second syllable; when 过 guò is stressed in 过年, this means ‘next year (明年 míngnián)’, but if 年 nián is spoken emphatically the same expression means ‘celebrate the new year (过新年 guò xīnnián)’

Did you study Chinese Phonetics?