Chinese-Forums

Why Kunming

abcdefg

Hope you will be able to make it back to your second home soon, always love reading about your stories from Kunming. South China is so varied, but I always feel the pace of life is always about the same - relaxed, happy, slow yet buzzing in the evenings

• Like 3

On 9/22/2021 at 1:41 PM, Tomsima said:

South China is so varied, but I always feel the pace of life is always about the same - relaxed, happy, slow yet buzzing in the evenings

I don't mean to misrepresent Kunming as some sort of promised land. It has grown and modernized quite a bit, for better and for worse, since I first visited there in 2007.

One of the things that seems to happen with absence, is that the good parts are more clear in my mind now than the drawbacks. Still, I do miss life in Yunnan and would like to go back if it becomes feasible again at some point in the future. 

On 9/23/2021 at 12:37 AM, mungouk said:

... the scenery is amazing, and being so close to SE Asia for travels (if/when that opens up again) would be a major bonus

Agree entirely. During my years there I explored much of SE Asia. It was great to be able to find flights that were not expensive and only took a couple hours. Thailand, Burma, Laos, Vietnam in particular. Hanoi in particular was a treat in the summer. A slightly longer flight, also nonstop, would get me into Malaysia or Indonesia. I particularly liked Kuala Lumpur and the island of Bali. 

Kunming has committed a lot of resources into making the airport a regional hub. My understanding is that they have mainly done it for trading/business purposes, but it has helped tourism as well. It doesn't match Beijing or Shanghai of course, but surprisingly many convenient flights are available, some on "minor" carriers. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, abcdefg said:

During my years there I explored much of SE Asia.

Same here when I lived in Singapore — I really made the most of being within a 2-hour flight of so many wonderful (and relatively cheap) places. 

Will you come back to China when you get the chance, @abcdefg?  I miss all your posts and photos about travel, cookery and life in Kunming! 

On 9/23/2021 at 7:21 AM, mungouk said:

Will you come back to China when you get the chance, @abcdefg?  I miss all your posts and photos about travel, cookery and life in Kunming! 

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I do hope to return to China. 

On 9/23/2021 at 7:21 AM, mungouk said:

Same here when I lived in Singapore — I really made the most of being within a 2-hour flight of so many wonderful (and relatively cheap) places. 

It really is a luxury to be able to reach places in just 2 or 3 hours that would have required a long, expensive overnight flight from the US (or from England for you.) I sure did take advantage of Air Asia. Being in Singapore, you probably did too. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 4:27 AM, abcdefg said:

I discovered I had posted about it three times, roughly a year apart

To be honest, I wished you'd posted more - I love reading your posts on Kunming. One place I've never been to is Kunming and, having just sold my business and don't have kids at home anymore, I can't wait to head that way. I've got the potential of a bit of volunteer work in remote Yunnan and it looks so enticing and appealing. However, now we have extended travel restrictions, I'm not sure when I'll get the chance. For the last 18 months, NZers who head overseas are finding it impossible to get back in the country due to restrictions so it's just not worth the risk. What's your take on when you'll get back to Kunming?

• Like 3

On 9/25/2021 at 11:22 AM, Singe said:

I've got the potential of a bit of volunteer work in remote Yunnan

Hi @Singe, I'm curious about volunteering in China... is there an official way of getting a volunteer visa, or does it require a more "creative" approach?

• Like 1
  • Good question! 1

On 9/24/2021 at 10:22 PM, Singe said:

To be honest, I wished you'd posted more - I love reading your posts on Kunming.

Thanks for the kind words, @Singe! Wish I were still there so I could add new material. Have no idea when it will be possible to go back. My forced resettlement in the US has proven pretty disruptive. Had been in China over 10 years and very much felt like it was home. 

Please check the Kunming section of the forum under the general heading "Life, Work, Study in China in General" for a handful more short pieces. You will also find lots of Kunming content in the Food and Drink section, including a decent coverage of Yunnan tea (Pu'er, Dian Hong and others.) 

Here are a few short articles that might be of interest. They will help give you the flavor of Kunming.

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55474-chasing-the-sun-kunmings-daguan-park-大观公园/   

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55442-a-dip-in-the-hot-springs-泡温泉/  

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/55379-kunmings-fall-colors/

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/53449-green-lake-park-翠湖公园/ 

https://www.chinese-forums.com/forums/topic/51465-a-trip-to-the-local-wet-market-菜市场/

• Like 2

On 9/26/2021 at 1:01 AM, mungouk said:

I'm curious about volunteering in China... is there an official way of getting a volunteer visa, or does it require a more "creative" approach?

I was definitely going down the more creative pathway. I've done a lot of volunteer work over the years, mainly in East Africa and I've pushed the boundaries many times in terms of visa requirements and getting equipment in, but there's always been the dream of doing it in China. Around the start of 2020 I'd started making enquiries and have made a couple of contacts within my industry. What did appear very difficult started to seem a possibility. Then we all know what happened in early 2020.

I had initially approached Essilor, a large player within the industry who had already set up a project https://www.essilorseechange.com/partnering-to-help-chinese-school-children-in-the-fight-against-myopia/ but this didn't get far so I've gone down alternative pathways. Unfortunately, there's been no progress for about 12months due to restrictions and that fact that I needed to finalise my exit from my business which was also proving difficult due to the pandemic. Now the business has sold, all bets are off and I need to get the ball rolling once the world starts to show signs of getting back to normal, whenever that may be. It doesn't help being in a country with perhaps one of the most restrictive travel restrictions in the world (not complaining about this, it's served us well). Already time for me to see if I can get the ball rolling again. Will certainly keep you posted if you're interested, though I don't think I'll have anything to report for a while.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 7:46 AM, Singe said:

Will certainly keep you posted if you're interested, though I don't think I'll have anything to report for a while.

Please do, I'm also interested in volunteering.

I've been thinking for a while now that I'd like to get involved in some humanitarian engineering project abroad. Fitting it all in with life and work seems to be the real challenge!

I you felt like sharing your past experiences and giving some tips on how to get involved in this kind of activities that would be super interesting!

On 9/26/2021 at 5:27 PM, matteo said:

I you felt like sharing your past experiences and giving some tips on how to get involved in this kind of activities that would be super interesting!

Sure thing, though there isn't any Chinese related material to mention at this stage. First time I ever volunteered I was over in the UK working in Merseyside in my early 20s (over 30 years ago now ?) and answered an advertisement to join a team of eye care professionals heading to Tanzania. The whole experience changed my outlook on life and volunteer work has been a big part of my life since. In fact, it's a lot of fun and I don't understand why more people don't do it. I've been very fortunate in my career and have had a successful business that I am just departing so I've been lucky that I've never had to worry about the financial side of travelling. I still travel cheaply and backpack etc (when safe to do so) which just adds to the experience.

It's taken me throughout the Pacific Islands and East Africa over the years and I was starting to try to organise a China trip as well as a Middle East trip when COVID struck. In 2017 I set up my own charity serving the 5 countries of East Africa. Our current project is to build a hospital in a remote part of Tanzania - it's na area I love and there are som e amazing local people on the ground in TZ. The ground has been purchased and plans are still advancing despite being unable to get over.

Regarding getting involved - if you let me know more about your occupation and I'll dig around. PM or in reply to this post - whichever you prefer.

• Like 2