Chinese-Forums

Who's going to BNU for 07/2006?

adrianlondon

Hello all..

I am applying for BNU's Spring 2007 semester and was wondering when it exactly starts?

Also, on the "Required Application Materials" part it states I need an original or a copy notarized by the issuing organization of my university diploma. Do you guys know if a copy not notarized is sufficient, since I live a distance from my undergrad university.

Any response would be much appreciated.

Hey guys, i think i remeber some of u were from SOAS and the lowest u should really be in at the beginning is 102. If even u are not at 102 level they put all the soas students in 102 because i think they have some sort of agreement. If you are not in 102 now then u will neet have a level of 201 by the time u get back to london- which is the level of the re-entry exams next september. Ive just got back to soas from a the year abroad at bnu, if u have any other questions just get in touch.

Chris.

Hey ABC and Kungfoo,

I've been looking for a TKD place ever since before I arrived in Beijing, so I was pretty excited to see the TKD club. I didn't know about the demo on Monday because I didn't find an English-speaking member to explain things to me. Can someone fill me in on this?

I also found another TKD club that practices under the bleachers near the volleyball courts, but apparently they are not affiliated with BNU.

Hope to meet you guys in class!

^_^Sandra

I tried the fair today but it was not there. So ABC can you post the info you have about the TKD class please?

Football, I dont think there is a society, I didnt see one. I think teams and things are seperate. From speaking to people on the pitch, you can just join a game on the pitch whenever you please (though they have about 20 a side on a 7 a side pitch!!). There is a group that play on wednesday afternoons that have a team and they play other teams around the area. I played with them once and I guess Ill just stick with them for football 'hit'.

ABC, TKD details please! I have seen a group practicing at jingshi building too, did you know theres a pool in there too?

It sounds like the Demo and practices are off campus, via bus#22, 47, or 810 by the East Gate. I'm planning on meeting up with Joannah, the English speaking Chinese by the bridge on the East Gate at 5:30pm on Mon. I have her number, so I hope to confirm things over the weekend.

As for the TKD classes, there are two each week, every Mon and Wed night from 6-7:30pm.

The cost: 50 yuan/month for 4 classes/month (ie, once a week)

I tried asking if you could go twice in one week and then none the second week, at first they were confused, but they seemed to sound like they would be fine with it...though I'm not exactly sure)

or 100 yuan/month for 8 classes/month (ie. twice a week)

Uniforms: 150 yuan (the flyer seems to say you could bring your own clothes too)

It sounds weird that BNU's own TKD club is off campus while there's another TKD group practising on campus...but would be interesting to see the other group practice. I'll have to check that out!

See you guys on Mon!! I have a black TKD shirt, so I'll wear that so people can recognize me.

The club fair was there all right. If it is there tomorrow you will find it on Lishen Road, there will be tables with posters set up. I had to ask about 12 people and walk around in BIG circles but someone said there was a club. Looks like they play on Sundays and I've been told to be there at 9 AM (ugh). I don't know the location, since the characters don't correspond with those on the map, though its in cursive chinese script. I got a form which requires my picture and a whole load of information. They got my name, and number written down in one of their notebooks.

As for the wednesday afternoon club, are you talking about Interunited SC run by Jimmy Zhang? If so, they play Wednesday nights and are full, though I've been invited to watch and maybe join later. They play all the way out in Chaoyang Park at around 9 PM wednesdays. I have seen the 20 a sides on the 7 a side pitches and I think I will get into that next week...

FYI tennis costs 10 yuan an hour and you must purchase a reciept in an office opposite the tennis courts, and forget about using them from 1-430 PM.

I heard great things about the Chaoyang football league with all the expats but apparantly its very expensive, and on the other side of the city.

You can play any day of the week on the pitch, its just wednesdays I know a group of people play around 5.30.

ABC, I plan to see you there if thats OK? I dont know how Ill know its you, but Im sure not many people congregate near the bridge. If anything changes please please send me an email at: ayubbbb@gmail.com.

Anyone have any ideas on what they are doing for this weeklong bliss in which we don't have any classes? I'm personally thinking of going someplace (relatively) close by, like Dalian or Qingdao, both of which I have heard great things about. I was thinking of visiting friends in Seoul or Tokyo but flight tickets seem too expensive (ditto for flights within China).

Further to this post - we've been looking more into the Qingdao/Dalian trip. So far, our best quote is RMB1,600 for a 6 day trip. If you are interested, please send me a PM with your contactable email so I can add you to the email trail now being sent around.

Will

Time to take charge of the situation.

Football, sundays, 1pm, the pitch behind di er gongyu, it usually empty and its a very 7 a side pitch. A few doors down from di er gongyu theres a gate with guards and Beijing Shifan Daxue in Chinese characters, dont be scared, its public so you can just walk in.

The more the merrier, I have about 5-6 friends coming and need to make friends so I am using the internet to get the message across. Invite your friends, spread the word!!

Again, Im ayubbbb@gmail.com

I got a text saying they're having the demo on Wed now.

My friend Joannah says she's not going to Mon's practice but will be going to the demo on Wed. I'm still hoping to check out practice on Mon since I have more time then. But not sure I should do both Mon and Wed. Wed I have afternoon classes and Thu I have morning classes...so I'd reallly have to make sure to prepare for classes early.

I'm also hoping to meet up with someone else from the club...would hate to get lost trying to find the place!! I'll keep you guys updated.

=)

I got a text message from the TKD people that they're planning on meeting by the East Gate, tomorrow, Wed, at 5pm and that there was going to be a 10yuan fee.

However, I just got a TM from Joannah saying she'd just meet me at 5:30pm. I'll probably just be there by 5pm to see who else shows up and to be early.

I'll keep you guys updated.

:)

The women are playing this week. As far as I know we can still buy tickets at the door, can't imagine it being really crowded...but then again, maybe. The afternoon games start at 12:30 and cost 50yuan; the evening games start at 19:00 and cost 100yuan. Fri/Sat/Sun are more expensive because they're the semi/finals, etc.

But if you bring your Student ID you'll get a 50% student rate (reminder: ALOT of places let you use your Student ID to get discounts, most have been 50% off!!! So don't forget your ID when you travel during National Week).

Check out: http://www.piao.com.cn/en_piao/ticket_834.html

I found another place that does judo, mma, boxing, jeet kune do and tae kwon do. Its about 10mins by bike towards the north. It has great facilities (nice mirrored venue with mats, another with hard flooring and punching bags and so forth. Its pretty cheap also, so I am going to stick with that place.

http://www.ywjudo.com/

YuanWuDaoGuan... Theres information on how to go there by bus, I think 133 got me there fine last time, but now I have a bike.

I would go on saturday but theres the trip to great wall, so I guess I will probably be going to boxing next wednesday. May go to a TKD lesson before that. I would love to have someone to go with...