Chinese-Forums

August Upgrade

roddy

As warned here we've just had about six hours of downtime while I upgraded our forums software. Welcome back.

The main changes you may notice are

*Cosmetic - the look of the site has changed quite a bit. I hope you like it already, and that if you don't you'll get used to it.

*Text editor - we now have a rich text editor that lets you see, eg, bold text as bold than [ b]bold[/ b]. You can use keyboard shortcuts such at CTRL+B as you might using Word. If you'd rather type the [b ] tags, click the switch icon at the top left of the editor.

*Autosaving - posts are now autosaved as you type. Not sure where they're autosaved to now I think about it, but we'll figure that out.

*Avatars and profile photos have been merged, you only have one image associated with your account now.

*Google Site Search is now integrated into the main search box. So for all those people who've been saying 'use the one at the left' - ha!

*There's a new 'popular posts' block on the front page (and perhaps on a site-wide sidebar to come soon)

*'Watched' Content is now 'Followed',right hand side of the navbar.

*There's a big hole for our new logo, soon to come I hope!

That's all I can think off off-hand

Problems at the moment I'm aware of:

*Some people's avatars are broken. I suspect these are people who signed up with their Facebook IDs. Trying to deal with these when I see them.

*That popular post block isn't selecting posts from the right period

If there's anything you're not sure of, anything confusing you, etc, ask away and I'll help if I can. I've got a list of stuff still to work on, plus I have a long list of things to do I wrote up a few months back - I'm hoping to get through quite a bit of that this week, so now's a good time to (re)mention any changes you want to suggest.

• Like 4

One really good thing about the upgrade is that all the hanzi, and certain punctuation marks (single and double quote/speech marks), are now a lot sharper and clearer. Generally, I think the forums look snazzier, and even if one is never too keen at first, one's eyes soon adjust! So, good job, Roddy! :)

• Like 1

Looking snazzier, for sure, but staring at an almost full-screen white background on a 21" monitor is about as much fun as staring at a light globe. :wall

try this

:tong

P.S. I'm not asking for wholesale change, just wondering if there were other skins available that people who wanted a slighter less-white background could choose.

Looking snazzier, for sure, but staring at an almost full-screen white background on a 21" monitor is about as much fun as staring at a light globe. eusa_wall.gif

That's why I use a completely black background. :D

http://everyonedelet...white-on-black/

Accessibility: High contrast “White on Black”

http://www.microsoft...ghcontrast.mspx

High Contrast: Choose a High Contrast Color Combination to Improve Screen Resolution

http://onlinelibrary....20543/abstract

Association between duration of daily visual display terminal work and insomnia

http://news.sciencem...the-bodys-.html

Vision Cells Help Set the Body's Clock

by Gretchen Vogel on 12 May 2010, 2:00 PM

Probably something that won't get fixed, but: the layout is to wide for netbooks. This makes browsing the website pretty annoying, as you have to scroll horizontally all the time.

On my netbook it looks perfect. No horizontal scrolling needed.

As on any significant change, it will take some getting used too. My first overall impression is looks good.

• Like 1

I think it looks good, but I don't see the "number of replies" for the topics shown on the home page. If I have nothing to add to a topic I will skip over it unless there are some replies I can read, but now I can't tell. Or am I just not seeing it??

• Like 1