Chinese-Forums

BLCU spring-term 2007, anyone?

floressas

i'm in the process of going to next march too. have you done all of your paperwork? i just barely sent the wire transfer over and don't even know if that is going to go over right, the people at the bank seemed kind of clueless as to what they were doing, and i forgot to get a receipt....

and i still have to get a visa... and find a place to stay, i feel so lost with the whole process. i want to do a homestay, but it seems like there are mixed reviews there. i just don't want to get stuck at the dorms with foreigners and all i'll just speak english the whole time. and the thought of finding an apartment seems kind of overwhelming.

ok, my thread seems a little dead, so i will try to shake it alive by a narrow presentation of myself, and i suggest you other BLCU-students of spring term 2007 to do the same :)

my name is jojje, i'm from sweden and i'm 23 years old. that's for the basic facts. what's taking me to china and beijing is a genuine interest for chinese history and culture, and since i visited the town in the summer of 2004, i always wanted to get back for alonger stay. so now, my dreams will fulfill. i hope to learn the language to be able to communicate with the chinese people because i regard them as interesting, on the grounds of their history and their culture. besides that, i wish to add many new friends to my network, do some inexpensive shopping, play some soccer in a chinese team (if possible) and drink plenty of cheap chinese beer.

regards

My name is Anna.I`m 20 years old. I`m from Russia.I`ve been studying chinese for 3 years in university. But i`ve never been to China.I`ve been twice to USA - student exchange program(came back 1 month ago ) and now planning to study in China.

Honestly - afraid to go alone there and really hope to find foreign friends...

my name is Jenn, i'm 22 and i've just started learning mandarin this year. my father is from canton, so he speakes cantonese and a village dialect, but didn't teach me or any of my siblings. i decided to go with learning mandarin instead for business purposes and now i think it will be one of my majors in college. i'm still trying to get all my papers together to send off, but i'm applying for spring semester and will probably stay through sept, or however long it will take for me to become fluent. how long after you sent off your application did it take to get your acceptance letter?

where are you girls staying? i working on doing a homestay, i've heard you learn fastest that way, but if after the first semester i'm not happy, i'll try and find another option after i've had a little bit of experience in the country.

i'm excited and can't wait to go out there, but nervous too because i'm a little lost with the whole process. i don't even know how i'm going to get from the airport to where i'm staying!

Seems like we need to arrange another Chinese-forums get-together in January!

Well I'll probably still be around for that, and for u firsttimers it could be nice to get a little tour around the uni and especially some do's and dont's when it comes to the registration "process". Think "process" in terms of Kafka anxiety and total confusion. Well I might be exagerrating a tad bit but still I havent heard noone that enjoys it..

And yeah I'm Swedish and this is my second semester at BLCU this spring will be the third.

i'm going to try and get out there the last week of feb to get settled before classes actually start. i'm barely getting my application out this week, so i hope i get acceptence papers quickly.

it would be nice to meet up with some people that have already gone through the process so i don't have to feel so lost and confused!

toygirl: the registration procedure is said to take 3 weeks, moreover, it took me almost two months from the day i sent in my papers until i got them back. but since the term starts feb/mar, it would be no problem for you to get your papers back in time if you send them in before novembers ending. i was a little afraid they had lost my papers, so i sent an e-mail asking about it, and they replied the same day, telling me they had recieved the papers and were about to send them back.

furthermore, i'm not a girl :) and i haven't yet decided where to live. as it looks now, i will stay in beijing only one term, and then i maybe live at the service center (highly recomended among other users in this forum), but most of all i want an apartment outside campus. is there anyone reading this, that lives in an apartment outside campus? is it hard to fix, with all the processes and paperworks?

karmakid: tar du lån från csn i kina? isf, fixade du det på plats eller innan du kom dit? jag har hört att dom oftast inte fyller i rätt om man skickar dit en blankett, och att man borde vänta med att ordna med csn tills man kommer dit, för att "hjälpa" dom att fylla i. har du stött på några problem med det här?

regards

Hi all!

This is my first thread and I'm so excited to have found you guys on this fabulous forum. Like many of you, I'm a college student who's interested in studying mandarin in Beijing. I'm a senior at Cornell University right now and I'm from NY. I'll be attending a 4-week short term study program at BLCU. I am some what semi-fluent in Mando already but have no reading/writing comprehension skills. I'm totally excited to go to Beijing because I was last there in 2000 and I'm sure a whole lot has changed. Well, I look forward to meeting many of you and we should def meet up once we're at the university. :D

floressas, as soon as U get back the admission notice from BLCU go to CSN or post them and fill out all the forms. It shouldnt be a problem unless you havent got loads of unfinished studies (15p or more) back home. U dont need to wait until u get here, in fact I recomend u do do it asap. if there is anything u need help me send a mess or mail me.

Hey all,

I'm hoping to start Chinese at BLCU in March as well - but I only sent off my application last week and I'm a bit afraid that all the places might have been filled. Does anyone know if that happens much? I'm a 21 year old from Australia currently teaching English in a school in Guangdong (Dongguan). Having decided that I was never meant to be a teacher and finding this industrial town a little culturally dead I'm really excited to go back to studying (I thought I'd had enough of it when I graduated uni in June, but apparently not).

I agree with the previous posters - it isn't terribly obvious how to go about setting up accomodation stuff - feeling a bit lost about it. I'm thinking I'll start out in the dorms and if I feel like it a few months down the track, once I've gotten settled into Beijing and the uni, I can move out to an apartment or a homestay or something. I'm pretty freaked out to go there alone though, so I really hope I'll be able to find some really good friends to hang out with.

This is a great thread - I'm so relieved to find that I'm not the only one feeling a little lost at sea!

Olivia :)

I will be studying in BLCU in the sprint-term 2007. I sent the paperwork last week and hope that I will get the acceptance soon. How long do I have to wait for it? 2 weeks?

My parents are from China but I borned in Panama. They know Mandarin, Cantonese and a dialect named Hakka. I only know the last two ones, but some very basic stuffs, as "i'm hungry" lol.

When in China I would like to meet some friends. If they speak spanish better. Please send me some messages if you want to.

Regards,

Jean

i'm glad i'm not the only one that was a little delayed in my application! i just hope that they don't get filled or start declining people too!

hopefully we can meet up when the semester starts? i'm going to try and get to china a few days or a week early so i can get adjusted and find my classes, will any of you be there also?

sorry floressas for my assumptions!

jeanca21: prepare to wait for the returning of your application for at least a month. i waited six weeks, but you should probably get it back before christmas.

so, this thread turned out to rally some people that all are going to BLCU alone, and want to meet new friends. the time for the obligatory regestration at the school is 26-28 february, which is monday-wednesday. i'm planning to get to beijing around 20 february to fix all the practical stuff and check out the town :) if anyone else is there by then, maybe we could do something the weekend before the registration?

regards

I will be there this spring of 2007 and studying there for 1 year. Hope to see you all. I had questions, but each time I post it, it won't show up; it was pertaining towards BLCU housing, etc. If you guys are interested it's posted in the BLCU Housing info thread.

eahc time I post it, it won't show up;

It won't show up because I delete it. I delete it because

it was pertaining towards BLCU housing, etc.

and it was already

posted in the BLCU Housing info thread

Anyway, admin hat off, and let me welcome another round of fresh new BLCU-ers to the forums. If you haven't already, you might want to check out some of these . . .

The BLCU 2005 starters

The BLCU 2006 starters

The aforementioned BLCU housing topic

Lots of the questions you will all have are already answered - a bit of time spent with the Search Engine will reap rewards. If you can't find what you need, then ask away. Generally speaking you are better off asking your specific visa / housing / etc questions in relevant topics, or starting a new one - they'll get more attention that way than if you post them in the middle of a large general discussion, and it also makes it easier for others to find the answers they need in the future.

Roddy

PS It might all seem a bit overwhelming now, but it all works out in the end :wink:

when is everyone heading out there? i was thinking of going the 24th or 25th of feb to have several days before classes start and hopefully to catch the last part of chinese new years! is anyone else going to be there that weekend or the first of the week? it would be nice to have someone as lost as me to wander the campus with and get registered.

i feel like i'm 12 again and starting junior high in a new city, wondering if all the kids are gonna like me! lol!

ooOO!! or even if i catch someone on the same flight as me, maybe we could share a taxi to the university? i'll be flying out of sfo.

anyone on this thread skype or have msn messenger? my skype is jenjen, my msn is buckles303@asia.com

sorry this post seems to be all over the place! i'm getting more and more excited as time gets closer, but anxious too - i don't even have my acceptance yet! boooo.... :help