Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

'Course, it's a 袋兽, dàishòu, marsupial.

Was having a conversation with some Australians once about the things various countries are known for. They asked what Australia was known for in the UK, and one of the things I threw up was 'weird animals.' They refused to believe that a giant bouncing pocketed mouse was weird.

Forgive me for being ignorant but does a koala bear have a 袋

Yes it does. From wikipedia:

The scientific name of the Koala's genus, Phascolarctos, is derived from Greek phaskolos "pouch" and arktos "bear". ... A baby Koala is referred to as a joey and is hairless, blind, and earless. At birth the joey, only a quarter of an inch long, crawls into the downward-facing pouch on the mother's belly (which is closed by a drawstring-like muscle that the mother can tighten at will) and attaches itself to one of the two teats. Young remain hidden in the pouch for about six months, only feeding on milk. During this time they grow ears, eyes, and fur. The joey then begins to explore outside of the pouch.

Wkipedia is not always accurate of course, but this I have seen for myself!

Roddy's post reminded me that somehow I discovered this word the other day:

(well, first it reminded me of the term 怪兽 and then...)

怪手guai4shou3 = = excavator

...and here I thought just knowing the terms 挖土机wa4tu3ji1~ 挖掘机wa4jue2ji1were good enough...

- 狂熱愛好者 a freak / fan for something / someone. For example, 大叔控 is someone who likes older men. 馬尾控 is someone who loves the ponytail hairstyle. 法國控 is someone who loves everything french. Other examples include 名牌控, 眼鏡控, etc.

防损, fángsǔn, to prevent losses. Seen on the back of a supermarket security guard, under the English 'Security'. Wonder if it's easier to shoplift now bags cost money and it's perfectly normal to walk out of a supermarket with your pockets stuffed with goods.