Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

I doubt it's the missionaries. On the mainland, 耶诞节 and 耶教 are admired by some traditional culture supporters who want to eliminate the sacred language that's used to refer to Christian topics. From their 2006 open letter rejecting Christmas:

Those who do not adhere to "Jesusism" (耶教) should follow the practice of 1920s and 30s China and contemporary Hong Kong and Taiwan: instead of using names like "Christ" (基督), "Christianity" (基督教), "Holy Bible" (圣经), "Christmas" (圣诞节), and "Christmas Tree" (圣诞树) for things that are holy only to Christians, they should use words that do not have any emotional tone or reverential implication, such as "Jesus" (耶酥), "Jesusism", "Jesus Scriptures" (耶经), "Jesus' Birthday" (耶诞节) and "Jesus' Birthday Tree" (耶诞树). They should in no way, whether intentional or unintentional, observe "Jesus' Birthday" and they should not send "Jesus' Birthday" SMS, letters, cards, or gifts. They should not take part in "Jesus' Birthday" get-togethers or parties. They should not worship or pray at "Jesusist Churches."
(source)

Good point, I guess I could have spent all of 5 seconds checking wikipedia before I posted.... Oh well.

Interesting enough, according to wikipedia,

Al Jazeera (Arabic: الجزيرة‎, al-jazīrah, IPA: [aldʒaˈziːra]), which usually means "The Island" in Arabic but more commonly known in Gulf Arabic as "The Peninsula"

So it seems that Arabic also sees the connection.

Oh. This is funny. From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/peninsula

Etymology: Latin paeninsula, from paene almost + insula island

OK, OK, I guess it's a pretty obvious connection and not unique to Chinese.

I've enjoyed reading many of the posts here and have learned quite a few interesting new ways to say things in Chinese. I'm pretty sure you guys are way ahead of me,but I’ll still share one that I discovered not long ago. 龙飞凤舞 = lóngfēi fèngwǔ = elegant (ornate) handwriting. Flying dragon; dancing phoenix.

Edited by abcdefg
clarity

A friend from the southern part of Guangxi Province told me they also sometimes refer to gigolos as 牛郎 = niúláng = cowboy. Reminds me of "Midnight Cowboy" so many years ago. She said their trademark, at least in down in Dongxing, is red sox 红丝的袜子.

角逐, jiǎozhú, to compete or vie for - from all those newspaper articles recently about twenty billion people taking the civil service exams when there're only three posts available. Actually, I think that's the only Chinese exam Heifeng hasn't taken . . .

Quote:

"what?! If the 牛郎 have claimed red socks there, then what do the 'ordinary' people who are just trying to go in peace and ward off evil in their horoscope year do? Are they forced only to rely on the power of red undies? This raises so many questions... "

-------------------------------

That is indeed a thorny metaphysical issue. I had not thought through all the implications of wearing red socks when it isn't to ward of evil spirits.

What happened to the cute animal theme
what...ducks are cute aren't they:mrgreen:

ok, ok point taken:

虎牙:hu3ya2: a 'buck' or protruding canine. (but somehow to me it seems that this is really the result of the second tooth being pushed back too far, so it makes it seem like the canine is pushed forward...no wait, not necessarily..here's a pre-dental work picture of Gong Li & Lin Xinru..that second tooth doesn't really seem pushed back too far)

otherwise if it's not sticking out, then it's just a regular ol' 犬齿 quan3chi3 Canine

Actually, I think that's the only Chinese exam Heifeng hasn't taken .

ahh yes, but I think civil servants need at least a level 3A psc, so at least i could satisfy that requirement....(and good lord, if you've ventured to govt offices outside of Beijing you know they need to seriously uphold that level 3a requirement :lol:.....)

Edited by heifeng

Oh come on, we're all adults here, aren't we? Manwhore isn't really an offensive or vulgar term as much as it's a joking term for a man who just sleeps around and refuses to get serious about relationships and women.

Anyway, so Gougou won't be offended, I'm starting a new theme: bears! :lol:

無尾熊 wúwěixióng - koala bear.