Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

Haha, I thought that the avatar would make it obvious.

And I always thought it was a beanie baby wearing a burqa!

My word of the day: 过节日 which can also mean that "the old friend has come over for a visit" 老朋友来了

Yes, Skylee, haven't heard anyone actually say that, but I am reading 余华’s 许三观卖血 and he uses it. It does sound strange, doesn't it? But so does calling your normal 卫生巾 "面包” or "天使“ (I have actually heard people use these terms in a conversation, like "面包带了没有?”)

Nah, I thought your username was more like "enduring" (aren't all Chinese learners :wink:). I always thought the avatar was a ninja, I just never connected it until I came across the word in Chinese for the first time.

恍然大悟 - huǎngrán-dàwù suddenly come to the realisation of something (not a new word, but appropriate given the situation).

Rated G Post:

天线宝宝tian1xian4bao3bao3= teletubbie

'cuz I always thought renzhe's avator looked more like a pudgy gumby or teletubbie anyway

Rated PG-13/R Post:

And to play the 'let's switch the 汉字 game', I'll exchange the 安 a few posts above to a 自 for a word that ya'll can just google for yourself

例假 ~ can also mean aunt flo's visit

You mean she came on a legal holiday? (我辩白)

Back to the topic - on March 10, 1876, the first 电话 was made by Alexander Graham Bell. It was a 发明 that changed forever the way we keep in touch.

“And to play the 'let's switch the 汉字 game', I'll exchange the 安 a few posts above to a 自 for a word that ya'll can just google for yourself”

哈哈哈哈:mrgreen:

My word

阿迪-adidas

Also my nickname

覅, fiao4 (pinyinput won't let me even type it), Wenlin lists this as a dialect contraction of 勿要. The 吴Wikipedia (ain't the Internet marvelous) has it as a contraction of 弗要. Found by trying to type 'finance' with my IME still set to Chinese.

Edited by roddy