Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

退伍证, tuìwǔzhèng - demobilization certificate, ie proof that you've left the army.

常住人口登记表 chángzhùrénkǒudēngjìbiǎo - permanent residence registration form, as opposed to 暂住.

This was all acquired waiting at the police station for an hour to carry out a four minute formality. Other knowledge obtained include the facts that there is wide variety in the nature of marriage certificates in China, thus resulting in much confusion and delay; that while you can register a child when you've only been married for six months the police will gossip about you after you leave; and that the old lady in front of me moved buildings during the Cultural Revolution, but she wasn't sure which year.

指腹为婚

prenatal betrothal; betrothed when still in the womb by the parents of both parties

That's the definition Wenlin gives, I like: "point belly to marry" a lot better.

Found it in an old 相声.

Right, I found another term in a different 相声, and I haven't been able to figure out what it means. They talk about a 光棍堂 in a monastery. Anyone know what that is?

a random word to go in that 'ahh so that's what that character looks like' category:

硌ge4 as in ge4jiao3 or 硌牙ge4ya2: basically a body part to be rubbed,scraped, etc. by something hard.

as in this case:参加保利大厦举办的拍卖会的张先生在保利大厦的会议中心就餐,在食用“牛肉炒饭”的过程中,将牙齿硌掉一颗,造成原告的牙齿功能障碍。

.....................................anyway,

unless it's pronounced Luo4, then it's just a big rock of some sort...but that could probably knock out a tooth too...

A google search for 光棍堂 brought up these:

地点多半是光棍汉的屋里,我们那里称之为光棍堂.
由于马家出出进进清一色全男人,村里人便在背后悄悄称马家是“光棍堂”。
而满囤儿他家正是他们这群年轻的男人聚集的光棍堂

I think these suggest a 光棍堂 is some sort of dormitory for single young men. Maybe in a monastery it refers to the monks' residence hall?

Looks like the server is a little tired. Try again in a minute, and please email admin@chinese-forums.com if the problem persists.

grrrr....retype my post time...the short version this time around:

肇事人/者/罪 zhao4shi4ren2/zhe3/zui4 one who creates trouble or a disturbance/ instigator/perpetrator...depending on the context of course..

taken from here

Edited by heifeng
fix link...omg server is really crapping out isn't it...ughhh