Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

While I was doing vocab drills today I came across:

泄泻 (xiè xiè) = to have the runs, diarrhea

This made me absolutely horrified at first because I started imagining all the times when I first started studying that I must've said "diarrhea" instead of "thank you", when it dawned on me that I've never heard 泄泻 spoken aloud before.

When talking about diaherra, Chinese just use 拉肚子. The only example sentences I can find that include 泄泻 sound very technical and apart of medical jargon instead of everyday speech.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
This made me absolutely horrified at first because I started imagining all the times when I first started studying that I must've said "diarrhea" instead of "thank you", when it dawned on me that I've never heard 泄泻 spoken aloud before.

That will teach you the importance of the neutral tone!

:D

I am watching a BBC programme called the Diamond Queen, in which a Garter ceremony was shown briefly. According to the subtitles the ceremony (and thus also the medal) is called 嘉德, which I think is a splendid translation.

彩虹 -- rainbow.

I just realized last night I had absolutely no idea what the word for rainbow is. I assumed there'd be a 光 in it, but apparently not.

虹 really surprised me. I would have thought it was some type of 虫.

As an aside, I was at the 虹桥 Airport in Shanghai just last month. I must really have not been paying attention, as I read it as "red bridge", not "rainbow bridge". Don't think I'll make that mistake again.

As another aside, 虹彩 seems to be "iris" (the part of the eye), at least in Japanese. I only know this because I went to google images to confirm 彩虹, entered it backwards, and rather than pretty pictures of rainbows I saw pictures of eye surgery. I was very surprised!

Not a new word, but it keeps re-appearing in my leisurely newspaper reading (such as here:「裸官」普遍 中共信心大危機) And surprisingly isn't on this lovely forum or thread quite yet....so, there is only one thing to do, add to the random word fun!

裸官 luo3guan1= "Naked official". 'NAKED what?!' you may be asking. Nope, we're not talking Weinergate style 'naked' here . Rather this type of 'Naked official' is described as follows (also reference wikipedia site for an explanation )

Naked official (Chinese: 裸体官员; pinyin: luǒ​tǐ guān​yuán​) or (abbreviation; Hanzi: 裸官 Pinyin: luǒ guān) refers to Chinese Communist Party officials who stay in mainland China while their wives and children reside abroad. The Chinese Ministry of Commerce has reported that from the beginning of reform and opening in 1978 to 2003 about 4,000 corrupt officials left China, taking at least $50 billion out of the country; often spouses and children went first. The government is setting up stricter monitoring systems to decrease the practice.

Yes, 粉絲 seems to have several common translations. I often seen bean thread or Chinese vermicelli as well. Wikipedia has them listed under Cellophane noodles, which I personally don't recall seeing very often, but that might just be me not paying attention.

Back to Chinese, I wasn't aware that it had so many Chinese names. I'm only aware of 粉絲, but they list 冬粉, 細粉, and 線粉 as well. I also always thought they were only made out of mung bean, but wikipedia lists more types of starches as well.

• 2 weeks later...