Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

the unicode standard agrees with you

But nciku.com doesn't, and neither does the print edition of 现代汉语词典 or 新世纪汉英大词典.

In fact it seems like both 七 and 匕 can look either way, depending on the font. (The way I'm seeing it, both look like 七 qi.) I was always under the impression that the two strokes shouldn't cross if its 匕 bi (which it seems should be the case in 化), but clearly it is drawn as 七 qi in some (most?) printed materials.

the unicode standard agrees with you

Actually, it doesn't. The unicode standard doesn't make any mention of what a character should look like. From the FAQ:

Q: If the character shapes are different in different parts of East Asia, why were the characters unified?

A: The Unicode standard is designed to encode characters, not glyphs. Even where there are substantial variations in the standard way of writing a character from locale to locale, if the fundamental identity of the character is not in question, then a single character is encoded in Unicode.

and

Using a single font for all four locales allows the characters to be legible, but means that some characters may look odd. For optimal results a system localized for use in Japan, for example, should use a font designed explicitly for use with Japanese, rather than a generic Unihan font

So, the character shown as an image in the Unihan database will be using some font, but that is not to say it is the correct font for the language you are wanting to use, and it is not to say that this is how the character is supposed to look all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

鹁鸪: bo2gu1: (斑鸠 (ban1jiu1) 亦称“勃鸠” (bo2jiu1)、“鹁鸪”): Turtle Dove ( a type of pigeon). Reference : 各种鸽子相关文章介绍大全

And from 百度:

32bb9c8b441f1297fd1f10e3.jpg

鹁鸪图片

鹁鸪 (bó gū ) 鸟,即斑鸠,羽毛黑褐色,天要下雨或刚晴的时候,常在树上咕咕地叫。也叫水鸪鸪

Encountered here (as usually, there was at least one bird related word.... :wall )

So this random word comes with a random story since I think it is funny how I officially learned this word in Chinese first, and then heard it in English...and BOTH occured yesterday.

Yesterday I read this article: 一踩地就痛 足底筋膜炎作祟 ahh, so 足底筋膜炎 is Plantar Fasciitis. Good to know, sounds like it sucks, me thinks.

And then I went to a dance class and the teacher was telling us all about Plantar Fasciitis.

Now it is possible I've heard it before in English and tuned it out, but this just goes to show you Random words aren't always so random...if you listen you will hear them (in one language or another)

(I also read about Purpura/ 紫斑症 here yesterday but haven't heard it in conversation.... yet)