Chinese-Forums

Random new word of the day

roddy

I didn't. But I do not plan to go to the Mainland again (at least not in the foreseeable future), so I don't speak Mandarin any more.

Correction - But I will go to Taiwan from time to time (next time in Dec 2014). So I will speak it occasionally.

mrutmq.png

xrtx4.png

This time it's two words, 蠻(蛮) and 挺.

They both mean "very" or "quite".

Usually I watch Taiwanese romance dramedies to increase my vocabulary. I'd download copies in the original Taiwanese Mandarin with their equivalent modern standard Chinese subtitles (which more or less closely matches the dialogue being spoken) and a Cantonese dubbed copy, for the Hong Kong market, also with modern standard Chinese subtitles. Sometimes the modern standard Chinese subtitles in the Hong Kong dub are different from the ones in the original Taiwanese copy.

Here is such a case. In this flashback scene where this girl relates how her father used to read fairy tales to her. The father asks which story she'd like to hear. The story of 白雪公主 (Snow White) or 灰姑娘 (Cinderella). She decides on 灰姑娘 and as her dad is reading she asks him what's 灰姑娘's surname. After a bit of hawing and hemming, he goes "er...ah...er...why, of course it's 灰"

It seems that there isn't a Han Chinese surname 灰, but, is one used by the Miao ethnic minority.

Anyway, the father goes on to say You seldom see the surname 灰. In the two subs they use 蠻(蛮) and 挺 for "very" or "quite".

I mainly knew 蠻(蛮) for being barbarians. Southern barbarians?

Kobo.

@ Kobo

The character 蠻 does mean southern barbarians. In the context you saw, it has the same meaning as 滿. I see a lot of people using 蠻 instead of 滿 on the internet.

The proper (and more appropriate) character should be 滿, as explained https://www.moedict.tw/%E8%A0%BB at the bottom, under the heading 辨似.

I've always learned and used 蛮 for 'very', I don't recall ever seeing 满 used like that. My dictionary (现代汉语词典) says 蛮 means 'quite, pretty' (and also 'barbarian' of course).

雪乳:snow-white boobs

当地时间2010年9月16日,澳大利亚悉尼,黛塔-范-提思担当Cointreau酒全球形象大使飞抵悉尼表演君度秀,美娇娘穿着深V礼服露雪乳火辣性感。

黛塔-范-提思,Dita Von Tesse 同志是也。這個詞還蠻形象的。

link: http://pic.news.sohu.com/group-232373.shtml#g=232373&p=2110640 

Anonymoose, 你反應太大了。But seriously, this may be something inappropriate to post here. Sorry Roddy. 

Duck:

Technically you can use it on any woman with pale breasts and in any register except in that of an official document :mrgreen:. That being said, however, many women, especially Chinese women, may find the term offensive if so described so exercise caution!

Maybe I should revise what I said. To me, it's fine to use the term in a PR of a 美胸產品 producer.

May I choose not to provide the alternatives here? It's embarrassing!

請教個問題:

How would you describe someone whose skin is 白皙? I know "alabaster" may be an option but am not sure whether "snow-white" and "pale" are good.

Alabaster is a type of rock. I haven't seen that word in a long time, but it's a good one. Is "雪花石膏" something people know though? I don't think I've ever seen that term before.

I use "fair-skinned" as well. When purchasing foundation, generally "porcelain", "fair" or "ivory" will be used for the lightest one you can get.