Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

As of December (November?) applications for the Spring semester (March 2017) are now closed. Last I looked the website is still able to take applications but I don't think applications submitted now for the March 2017 semester will result in a scholarship being awarded.

A Confucius Institute teacher, corroborating what was told to me by a 哈尔滨工程大学 teacher, told me that March session applications are closed.

His exact words:

"Nicholas. As you were told by 哈工大, I was advised as well by Hanban that Scholarship application for March semester is closed. I suggest you apply for September semester in February"

(哈工大 is 哈尔滨工业大学, he got the two confused as he is not familiar with Harbin)

This was on the 5th of December.

If you want to study Chinese here in China, you'll either need to wait until applications for the next round of scholarships open in Februrary as I was advised, or come here as a self-supporting student.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone again,

I would like to ask again because I want to make everything clear, so I can plan ahead of time. 
For example, if I apply for the CI's one-year scholarship, will they give me living allowance for 11 months?
Because it says "This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months". 
The same goes for the 3 years MTCSOL+1 year, it'll give me a sponsorship for 33 months?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone applying for CI scholarship this year?

I found these:

According to Anhui Normal University (only one I found with exact application dates)

CI will start accepting applications as from 1st of March. 

http://grammar.kuaizhan.com/79/46/p3882891009762c?from=singlemessage

The online application system also says so to new registration members upon signing up. But I already have an account (since September 2016, haven't submitted anything), can I still use it or should I create a new one in March since I saw some having issues with old accounts..?

IMG_20170121_162721.jpg

IMG_20170121_161539.jpg

• Like 1

I'd probably create a new account just to be safe.

If you click on the create account button it says that applications don't open until March 1st.

Also, worth noting, after a meeting with admissions at Beijing Normal, I was told to wait to get the physical until after March 1st to ensure the 6-month windows that it remains valid goes beyond the start date of the semester (September 1st). 

The other tip she gave me was to remind whatever teacher from a Confucius Institute that they need to write the letter of recommendation AND check the box on the application system saying they recommend me.

Lastly, for those that have studied under the CI scholarship, what bank was used to distribute your monthly stipend? 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips 艾墨本, but I also saw another post saying he couldn't create a 2nd account because his passport was already linked to the first. :roll:

Concerning banks, I think each university has its own bank preference, so you'd better ask 北京师范大学 although it's still early for that :)

Hello guys !

I just registed to this forum and hope some of oyu could help me out (:

I'm currently at the first year of univeristy , my major is Chinese language and I really would love to go to China during my studies as an exchange students

so I looked aroud alot for schoolarships and I found CIS , there are some things I need to know about it maybe if someone was awarded it could help me , so I would like to know

Do I have to be enrolled in courses at the confucius institute ? if so how many or how many hours ? and if I dont make that exact amount do I still have a chance ?

Which applicants have the most chance , the one with higher score in HSK and HSKK?or something else

also if anyone knows about any other schoolarships please let me know , also I heard about CSC but I dont know exactly how they work , does your GPA at university matter?

• 3 weeks later...

@Aya G.
Hi Aya, welcome here! :)
As far as I know, it's an advantage if you are a student at a CI. There is no required hours of studying, they just need you to be student at the CI.
Usually those have more chance to be accepted who have HSK and HSKK (depends on how long you want to stay in China) and many people say the score does count, as well. 
Another thing is if that certain CI (where you want to apply for the scholarship) has an agreement and relationship with a certain Chinese university, you have a bigger chance to be accepted by that university - I guess it's an unwritten rule, but certainly true, all my Chinese teachers said this. ;) 

So, technically the CI scholarship applications open today, but they aren't open. *Edit*: the application site is now open. http://cis.chinese.cn/

Does anyone have more information about when they will open or why they aren't open yet?

Also, is anyone applying for Beijing Normal University, specifically?

They have put up new documents about the application and unfortunately everything is in Chinese, but if I understood right, this year they offer a round-trip plane ticket for graduate programs (MTCSOL and BTCSOL). What I don't understand is why they don't list the 1 year + MTCSOL category...does anybody know anything about this? I hope they didn't cancel this category. :(

@方茹婷 That's a good question. I hope not. If they did, maybe apply for just a 1 year Chinese program and then the masters program next year.

Edit: it seems there are still the two options. See attached screen shot. One is a 2 year program, the other is a 3 year program. Edit again: the start dates are different. Damn.

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 8.00.40 AM.png

Question: on the new system, how does the letter of recommendation work? Does the Confucius Institute send it to you and then you upload it, or can they upload it directly? It's the last thing I need before I can submit my application.

• New Members

So in the instance that I was awarded the scholarship I know you have to get some medical tests and they test for "drug addiction." I smoke marijuana every now and then and I'm wondering how much that would affect my chances? I should probably stop a couple months before June/July so it is out of my blood? Or would I just need to stop a few weeks before so it is out of my urine? Kind of a random issue that I feel many people don't share with me. But just curious haha

They did update a lot of things this year and the application platform got a complete makeover.

Do download the Application zip file at 

http://cis.chinese.cn/ScholarShipSite/UserLogin.aspx

It includes details of each scholarship program (more specific courses for year program and semester program, like literature, history, taichi etc). 

They also (finally!) clarify on the difference between full and partial scholarship (no stipend for the latter) and how the annual review takes place.

Also note that apart from your local Confucius Institute (>6months old), some HSK Centers and Chinese Bridge organisations are qualified to recommend you.

Another improvement: Detailed spreadsheet of university offering which type of scholarship (some accept only partnered CI students), and contact details of each relevant department.

But unlike previous years, no deadline is mentioned anywhere, neither do they say if it's open all year round.

@方茹婷 From what I've understood, the round trip is offered only to the seven countries in the South Asian Teachers Program (南亚师资班), namely Bangladesh, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Maldives and India. Plus an official agreement with Hanban is mandatory.

@艾墨本 Actually both are 2 years long, seems like you can choose to apply now and start next year, like a deferral. But it's not written explicitly for MTCSOL in the notice, whereas it is mentioned for the one semester program that one may start in Sept 2017 or March 2018.

Also reminds me that MTCSOL in some universities are covered in 3 years. I don't know if that means we have to pay for the last year.

Unlike CSC, we only submit online, and the recommendation agency doesn't need to mail the hardcopy to China, nor do they need to contact the host institution, right?

• Like 1