Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@pho - if you have a good laptop already, just bring that with you. Prices and quality is pretty much the same on the mainland. As for what else to pack - bring prescription items such as contact lenses and necessary medicine, bring a few books of your mother tongue (they can be a great comfort), bring deodorant. Anything else can be bought cheaper and higher quality in China.

Anyone going to Beijing Institute of Technology? It's the partner university for the CI I attend and I've really heard some horrible stories. the accommodation doesn't look good from what I've seen. Any info would be appreciated...

@Pho I am going to Fudan at the end of the month on CIS One Year scholarship. Fudan has already reserved the room for us and we do not need to pay anything, other than deposit when we get there and some electricity/water charges. 

The room they book us in is the Supplementary building, so it is not the main building. It is still a single room though but much smaller and not as new! But it is free, so I can't complain! :)

@pho I leave on the 29th too!! We should definitely try to meet up in China! As someone has already advised, if you are not going to stay in China for long it's best to buy in Germany, price will be the same or even lower and you get European warranty. I'll be getting a Xiaomi in China, as I'll stay there for a year (the warranty given for xiaomi).

Apart from deodorant, I was also told to bring shaving razors as they tend to be bit more expensive there.

@baihua - you can get Hep A from the water, so that one's definitely necessary. Hep B is important too. And theres this thing called "japanese encephalitis" that apparently kills thousands every year, which is mosquitoborne but you can be vaccinated against it. Some people also get vaccinations against the most common forms of meningitis.

I'd say definitely get the ones you can afford! 

@baihua It will be expensive, yes. Even with the Spanish Health Care System (which is famous for covering many many things) I had to pay for all of the vaccines. Think of it as investing in your health.

@baihua Thanks for the info. I don't mind sharing, the problem is I've heard it can get as high as 4 people in one room. I'm scared to think of what that'll mean for me. However there are rooms with only two which is fine. How exactly do we get assigned our accommodation? Since we're international students, will they automatically set us up in the better dorms?

@baihua @hoshinoumi - yes, I had to pay for mine too. And the Danish health care system is also known for covering almost anything. But I luckily had a private insurance which refunds me half of it :) I am really not in a place where I can afford to spend that much on vaccines, but I choose to take that extra expense as an important investment in my health and safety while traveling (imagine the cost of hospital care and a special flight home if you get really ill!)

@astaa @hoshinoumi

I asked the local General Practioner and they told me the NHS won't subsidies any vaccines. So I would have to pay either way.

@opi

My contact sent me this

"We reserved the dorm for you (a bed in a double room) and it's covered by your CIS scholarship. "

I take this to mean I am sharing with one other person, which I will have to play by ear as to how tenable it is, but I missed the dorm registration window which opened in July.

anyone knows if i arrive the last day of registration for my university (2nd september) at night.. will i still be able to register? or will they be close? and worst of all its gonna be a friday  :shock:

its a long way from my country to my university (SISU) and all the planes arrive to china at night  :wall

@celester Normally registration takes place in the morning, so it would most likely be closed by the time you get there! It would be best to let the college know that you will be late and maybe they can let you register another day/time?

Yes, it seems most of the flights get in at night, which is annoying as it would be much better to get in in the morning and have time to sort everything out! 

Thanks for the replies about what to bring and Fudan.

@Crisgee. The Fall semester ends on 12th January and I wonder if one semester CIS students can stay longer up to the end of their visa (25 Feb for me). Can we keep our room in the dormitory until the next batch of students arrive at the end of February?

@hoshinoumi. In which city are you going to study? Is it Xi'an in the centre of China with the terracotta army? One year scholarship is great, I only got a 6 months one (well more a 4 and 1/2 one as the courses end at the beginning of January...) but hope to extend for another 6 months :P !

hello guys!

So in one week more or less most of us will be flying already to China!! So exciting :D

I wanted to ask you whether you bought another insurance or you think the one provided by the scholarship should be enough.