Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@方茹婷

From my understanding, the One year + MTCSCOL is no more, but you are allowed to apply for a One Year Language Study, and apply again for the actual MTCSOL Program Scholarship. If you've previously studied in China or you're currently studying there, you can still apply for the MTCSOL Program.

• Like 1

Hi @crisgee, I'm really grateful for the info! Then what about the major they ask in the application material? When I fill it in, they require me to choose a major. Even with the One-Year scholarship...So I don't understand this...Especially because among the majors they indicate the TCSOL. 
Anyways, it seems I'm going to apply to the Beijing University of Chemical Technology because my university and that one are connected or what...But after I'm done with the one-year, I want to apply for the MTCSOL. But still...which major should I choose? There are majors like Chinese literature, tai chi, etc.

@
艾墨本 I still haven't sent my application because I'm waiting for a university to be shown in the list of universities in the application form... 

I want to apply for the one year scholarship starting this September 2017. The problem is I have no hsk tests. So I'm planning to do ask 22 april but the oral test first option is May 20. That seems far too late. Do you guys know if it's possible to apply with just hsk? My oral skills in daily life Chinese is practically fluent but I have no certificate ;(.

@Lollipopii Other than CIS, you could also apply for Chinese Government Scholarship(CGS). The good news is that it requires no HSK test for global scholar or senior scholar. The bad news is that most of the institutions or agents that allows you to apply for CGS is already closed. There are perhaps few that may still open, try to look for them. Your best bet is to ask the Chinese embassy in your country or through the national commission of UNESCO in your country whether the deadline is already pass or not . CGS allow anyone to continue learning Chinese for a duration of 1-2 years.

Guys, I am applying for MTCOSL and I have a question. I have already been granted scholarship for one year (2015-2016). I really liked my Uni, so I decided to come back. And there is a question: would it be harder to get scholarship at the same uni? I got quite good results during my staying there. My hsk results are okay.

• New Members

Hi everyone, 

1. I have all the HSK certificates required to apply for the scholarship however my HSKK certificate loses it's validity in May 2017. Will that be still acceptable? 

2. Also I completed my last semester of graduation in this month but I will be receiving my graduation certificate by June. What shall I do? 

8 hours ago, igacave said:

Guys, I am applying for MTCOSL and I have a question. I have already been granted scholarship for one year (2015-2016). I really liked my Uni, so I decided to come back. And there is a question: would it be harder to get scholarship at the same uni? I got quite good results during my staying there. My hsk results are okay.

Talk to your university. They can do a lot on their end with the admissions system to make sure you stay at their school. 

As far as getting the scholarship, I recently learned that you can always reapply for the Confucius scholarship, but can only request more advanced scholarships (short term, to one semester, to full year, to a bachelors degree, to masters, to PHD).

• Like 1

So another question here, does it help if you can get a pre-admission letter from the university? It does say in the instructions it would increase your chances if you contact the host institutions first, but does dat mean in the form of pre-admission letter? And is the deadline dependant on the host institution? So If I manage to get the pre-admission I maybe can communicate that the test results of the oral test will be coming in later, and first submit all the other needed materials? 

And do confucius institutes have to nominate you first and then recommend you to hanban or do they do it if you meet the requirements?

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an email from the CI that I applied to:

“经审核,目前艾墨本同学在预录取状态,等待汉办的最终审批“

One more step to go! Just need the Confucius Institute to verify they want to give me the scholarship!!!

• Like 2

@艾墨本 Well done! Congratulations! Where will you be going?

I have the same issue as @方茹婷. I can't select the university (or universities) for the major I want. From what I can gather, different unis offer different majors, so for example Fudan (my first choice) is on the list of unis offering Chinese Philosophy but Shanghai Normal (my second choice) isn't. Shanghai Normal on the other hand is on the list for Chinese Language and Literature but then Fudan isn't. Anyone got any idea if there's a way around this issue? Actually I'd be very interested in both majors but it seems you can't choose two different majors.

Also, does anyone have issues with the final application page? That page never seems to save for me, I think it's something to do with the signature section - how/when/where do I upload my referee's signature? I have it, I just never get prompted to upload it. Then when I want to save it treats the page as incomplete (and saves nothing on it) because of the missing signature, but I just can't see where I'd upload it?

• Like 1

@Opi I believe it's different for each institute/country but ours (Scotland) are closing this week. Is there anyone you can email or talk to at your institute even when classes aren't in session? Either way it won't hurt to just start your application online and have it ready to submit whenever you have spoken to your recommending institute. That's what I did and I was really glad for it when they told me on Sunday that applications are closing on Wednesday (ie tomorrow). Good luck!

@spock Sorry for the late reply, you've probably figured it out on your own by now but as I understand it, there won't be much point in applying without your CI recommending you. Of course you can submit an online application if you want to but your CI has to forward your application to the powers that be. Is there anyone at your local CI you could contact and ask about this? They may well recommend you without you having taken courses there (this is a guess, I don't know for sure) but I think it'd make a better impression if you contacted them first. Good luck!

Hi guys! Question: according to the website, the scholarship lasts for 11 months, from September till July. My program ends on July 3. Can anyone say if the scholarship will be provided for July as well? Thanks!

@Jellyfish Thanks for the reply. I contact my teacher and was told that we'll start applying when school starts. She says there's no need to worry, so I hope she's right.

@Tiri I believe the entry points are September and March. You'd need to apply for the March, entry if the current application window has been closed.