Chinese-Forums

Confucius Institute Scholarship

Ren_st

@艾墨本 Aw man that's so unlucky - too high for one programme, just about too low for the other! But glad to hear you're ok with waiting until next year. I've had a quick browse of your blog, no wonder you don't mind a wee break :) Keep up the good work!

2 minutes ago, igacave said:

If I gather correctly: you can apply with on one year program with hsk 3, 300/300, but not with HSK 5 , score 181/300 or any higher HSK for that matter.

I was allowed to apply and accepted by all and got stomped on during the final review from Hanban. So, no, I think you are good to apply regardless and just have to find an appropriate program. I'll see if I get into East China Normal University.

• Like 1

Hi, I am (maybe) going to apply to MTCSOL next year. I send email to a Confucius institute and they told me if I am in China when I apply I need to use the chinese university as a recommendation institute and not a confucius institute. So If a Chinese univ want me I don't need to apply through a Confucius institute ?

2 minutes ago, Kemian said:

Hi, I am (maybe) going to apply to MTCSOL next year. I send email to a Confucius institute and they told me if I am in China when I apply I need to use the chinese university as a recommendation institute and not a confucius institute. So If a Chinese univ want me I don't need to apply through a Confucius institute ?

Starting this year, the location that you take the HSK and HSKK can also be your recommending institute. It's best and most convenient (according to what one HSK testing center told me) to take the HSK at the university you want to go to. It makes the application process easier. Perhaps this is what they mean?

You can always just contact a Confucius Institute in your home country and ask if they can recommend you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, igacave said:

If you try to obtain one year scholarship with HSK4, you may not be granted with one year, but only one semester.

Good thing I'm applying for a one semester scholarship then.

But, I've had a bit of bad news - apparently to qualify for the 汉语国际教育 category you have to never have been an international (presumably studying Chinese) student in China. I know this doesn't sound right but according to what my 哈尔滨工程大学 contact has told me this is the way it is. Furthermore, she said all universities in Harbin have switched to only having the 汉语国际教育 category. She advised me to look over the application guide more carefully which I've admittedly yet to do.

Another issue I'm having is that since pressing submit yesterday, suddenly today I can no longer change any part of my application form. Meaning my first choice is stuck on 哈尔滨工程大学。It's my fault for submitting the application, but a big problem right now is that the 工程大 teacher has not at all received any submission of my application form which she should have already. So she advised me to send Hanban an email which she gave me a specific address for. I sent them an email outlining my issues and now await their reply.

57 minutes ago, Jellyfish said:

HSK3 score required for CIS is 270 this year.

I'm hoping my HSK4 of 229 meets the minimum requirement of HSK3 270. Common sense says of course it does so it should be fine but with the way this Confucius Institute Scholarship procedures go, they might say my score is too low - I'm not sure about this one. What do you guys think?

3 minutes ago, LinZhenPu said:

工程大 teacher has not at all received any submission of my application form which she should have already.

It first goes to the recommending institute. Contact whoever your recommending institute is. They will need to review the materials and submit it into the application system after which it will move onto your first school.

1 minute ago, 艾墨本 said:

It first goes to the recommending institute.

Right. Well, one of the teachers at my recommending institute said that their institute does not have a scholarship application system account password. I think she is mistaken and that it is simply her and a colleague or two who don't have access to it, but I will follow this up with them and see what they say in the morning.

7 minutes ago, LinZhenPu said:

I'm hoping my HSK4 of 229 meets the minimum requirement of HSK3 270

Obviously it should be sufficient but it's hard to say what they will do - this is the first year the 270 rule has been in place so there are no precedents from previous years to look at.

To be fair a HSK4 score of 229 well surpasses a HSK3 score of 270 but we can only wait and see. Didn't last year somebody say that one university told them that the unofficial new requirement was a minimum of a HSK4 passing score? I think HSK3 score 270 is supposed to be equivalent to HSK4 score 180 (minimum passing grade).

That said although I got a score of 229 on the HSK4 I don't think I could score as high as 270 on the HSK3. I got lucky with my HSK4 exam. But that just goes to show that the HSK is a flawed examination system.

@LinZhenPu That'd make sense with HSK4 being the inofficial requirement which has now just been made official. Passing HSK3 with 270 was quite hard for me - I've never before gone into a test knowing I NEED to get 90% in order for it to be worth anything at all. It's a weird feeling but actually, I've you've got the vocab down 100% and if you've done all the past papers you can get your hands on, it's possible. Still, with language tests there's always an element of luck I think so I'm just glad I managed somehow haha.

No I don't think HSK4 is the official requirement. I'm pretty sure in the application guide it says the official requirement is HSK3 with a minimum score of 270. HSK4 is not mentioned.

We will see. What's important right now, is we keep each other informed. Who has gotten accepted by Uni, by Hanban, so we can know more about the system. if we fail, we can try next year. But we would have something to rely on :)  

@LinZhenPu Oh yeah, absolutely, HSK3 at 270 is the official requirement. I mean that from what you said previously (HSK4 being the unofficial requirement) it makes sense that they now put an official higher requirement on CIS applications (as opposed to previously when they only had HSK3 at passing scores as the official minimum requirement).

Hi everybody

I wish I had found this forum earlier.

I applied for the 1 year scholarship and I apparently I fulfill all the requirements. But its status is still 推荐机构审核  what should I do? It's been like that for 3 weeks and my IC said "just wait" (??)

Are the most of you already on the 3rd or 4th step?

Thanks in advance. And good luck to everyone!

I'm panicking now. My Passport expired in 2014 and I'm currently in the process of renewing it, but due to some unforeseen complications and long procedures, I'm not sure I#ll be able to get it before i start applying. Does anyone know if I can use the data page in the expired passport or am I screwed?

On 2017. 05. 04. at 10:10 PM, LinZhenPu said:

Note to others that to apply to the 汉语国际教育 category you must satisfy any of the following conditions:

1)来华进修的在职汉语教师;

2)预备攻读汉语国际教育本科的孔子学院(课堂)注册学员;

3)汉语言专业学生

This is the Master's or the One-year program?
I applied now for the One-year and chose the major TCSOL, because when I get HSK 5 during my One-year, later I want to continue studying for MTCSOL.
But according to these categories, I don't satisfy any... :D (I'm just a student at a CI now)
So what about this TCSOL major in the application form? I'm afraid I'll be rejected if my application is incorrectly filled...

@Opi Again, I've got no experience with this, I'm going through the whole applications process for the first time myself now but my instinct is that a passport is a pretty major part of the application. It states very clearly that the passport has to be in date (and not only at the time of application but for a couple of years afterwards) so I'd assume an OOD passport might well be a reason for rejection. Out of all the reasons to get rejected from this (slightly too high/too low HSK score, documents in the wrong format etc) it seems to be one of the more valid ones - they don't want to give the scholarship to someone who might have issues getting a visa for the period of study.

Do you not have some kind of express service for your passport? It's been a few years since I had to renew mine but I seem to remember it taking no longer than a week. I said before that speed might be more important than a complete application but in this particular case I'd probably wait for the new passport...

1 minute ago, Jellyfish said:

Do you not have some kind of express service for your passport?

Exactly. I also have heard about this option, and even though usually it costs quite a big sum of money, I think it's worth trying.

@Jellyfish and @ 方茹婷 Things don't work that way in my Country. My Passport got stolen, so they've some up with certain ridiculous procedures to be followed. Just as a way to make money on the side and to waste my time. I'm not sure exactly when I'll be able to get it.

@Jellyfish You can get rejected for a really high score? I got 300 in HSK3. Is this likely to be another obstacle for me?