Chinese-Forums

Same thing, different names

skylee

I've been downloading ebooks to replace the ones that I lost when my hard drive failed. I came across this Chinese cookbook that has a lot of recipes for what we in America call "variety meats". Offal. Tongue, stomach, kidneys, pig's feet, snout, brains, duck tongue, etc.

It has a recipe for chicken gizzards.

So my "same thing, different name" is "gizzard".

In the book they use 胗, but others are 肫, 胃, 腎(肾).

The recipe seems quite easy, so, I might give it a go. Usually I buy gizzard from the lu wei shop, but, this one is made with something called 野山椒, ye shan jiao. Wonder if jalapeno is a good substitute.

http://www.google.com/search?q=%E9%87%8E%E5%B1%B1%E6%A4%92

They look close enough.

Kobo.

Skylee wrote:

Re #181, sorry about the hard drive failure. Perhaps you could take a look at the thread on cloud storage -> http://www.chinese-f...ge-suggestions/

Thanks for the suggestion.

When I bought my last drive they also offered some free storage on their cloud server, but I never took them up on it. Also, on my install of Ubuntu they also offer some free storage but that I never signed up for.

My plan is to do regular backups of my main drive and dvd backups of my important data. With maybe cloud as backup backup.

Though I don't really want them to get a hold of my personal stuff. I read somewhere that the stuff becomes the property of Amazon or Google or one of those companies. It was a privacy issue a while back. Not sure which one. So I'm wary of that, but for stuff I downloaded I guess I don't care if they take it. Just financial documents.

Kobo.

Escalator is also known as 电动扶梯、行人电梯、扶手电梯、手扶梯、自动扶梯、自动行人电梯、电扶梯、电动楼梯、滚梯、etc., etc...

And another word for elevator is apparently 垂直电梯.

Hmmm.. good question. It seems that a tank is a type of a armoured vehicle. Here it says: 坦克也是裝甲車輛的一種,但是在習慣上通常因作戰用途另外獨立分類,而裝甲車輛多半是指防護力與火力較坦克弱的車種。

Also when I think of a tank, I usually think of the catepillar track wheels (and VERY STRONG & HEAVY, hence we have an expression 'built like a tank'heheheh), whereas an armoured vehicle can have either & may be lighter weight depending on its usage. 裝甲車的特性為具有高度的越野機動性能,有一定的防護和火力,分為履帶式和輪式兩種,一般裝備一至兩門中小口徑火炮及數挺機槍,一些還裝有反坦克導彈,結構以裝甲車體、武器系統、動力裝置等組成。為了增強防護和方便成員下車戰鬥,多採用前置動力裝置方案。

Because of a catastrophic hard disk failure, I've been re-downloading a lot of TV shows that I lost. This has afforded me an excuse to re-watch all the Ariel Lin dramas that I had downloaded before, both in the original Taiwan Mandarin and the Cantonese dubbed edition for the Hong Kong market. Not that I really had an excuse to re-watch her stuff before. She is simply such a versatile actress. :)

This is the classic scene where Xiang Qin ruins the curry dinner and Zhi Shu comes to the rescue.

The "same thing, different names" word is "cabbage".

2i9kmqo.png

In the Taiwan original, the spoken Mandarin and the standard Chinese subtitles use "高麗菜(高丽菜)".

2niz3bn.png

In the Hong Kong edition, the standard Chinese subtitles have "捲心菜", yet, the Cantonese dub has Zhi Shu clearly saying "椰菜".

Doing Internet images searches bear out that all three are indeed "cabbage".

http://www.google.co...?tbm=isch&q=高麗菜

http://www.google.co...?tbm=isch&q=捲心菜

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=椰菜

I was wondering about the "高麗菜(高丽菜)". Whether it's a Taiwan only usage. So I checked with the 中華語文知識庫(中华语文知识库), the joint effort by the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China (Taiwan) to increase trust between the Taiwan Strait.

http://chinese-linguipedia.org/

http://www.zhonghuayuwen.org/

ogckyw.jpg

It appears that "高麗菜(高丽菜)" is Taiwan exclusive. They also give a few more entries for cabbage. Some obviously intended only for the purple kind.

These additional entries are 甘藍(甘蓝), 藍菜(蓝菜), 包心菜, 捲心菜(卷心菜), 洋白菜, 結球甘藍(结球甘蓝).

On the mainland these additional entries are also used in addition to a few others. 圓白菜(圆白菜), 蓮花白(莲花白).

Oh, and the 中華語文知識庫(中华语文知识库) doesn't include "椰菜". I guess it's an "only Hong Kong" entry and Hong Kong hasn't been fully incorporated into the empire yet. :)

Though with satellite TV and the Internet, I'm sure a lot of mainlanders probably know "椰菜" & "高麗菜" by now. But why "高麗" meaning "Korean"? Or is there another "高麗" or it means something other than "Korea"?

As part of my research for this post, I discovered at Wikipedia that China is the largest producer of not only cabbage but also of broccoli and cauliflower.

Kobo.

Maybe it was called 高丽菜 (literally, "Korean vegetable") because Koreans are famous for their kimchi which usually contains cabbage? Though the variety used is actually known as napa cabbage, in Chinese, 大白菜 not 高丽菜. So now I'm even more confused...

For 高麗菜, I favour the 'transliteration from English/Latin/other European language with "caul-" etymon' theory. Though I'm not sure how much awareness of Goryeo the people who came up with this word had, or even how much of it was a deliberate ploy.

On another imported food-related item ...

pastry = 酥皮糕点/饼, 油酥点, 酥馅饼, 面点, 西饼 (all of these seem to refer to the entire finished dessert product); (饼)皮, 面团 (to refer to the "dough" or the product before shaping and cooking)

I think this reflects the heterogeneous nature of the English word "pastry" (although that's narrower in scope than the French "pâte"). Let's go a bit more specific, to the most fundamental of pastry distinctions:

puff pastry = 奶酥, 千层糕/酥/饼, 松糕/饼

shortcrust pastry = 松脆馅饼[底盘], 油酥松饼/脆饼

Hmmmm...

On more than one occasion I've had Chinese friends refer to pastries as "bread" (面包). Hehe.

Reminds me of how a hoodie is known as a "hat" (帽子). Quite often Chinese boils precise terms in English down to the simplest units of meaning, like stigma becomes "shame" (恥辱), and there are many others I can't think of right now.

As mentioned on the random thread #1341

Frosted glass: 磨砂玻璃, 毛玻璃

And somehow, 打底裤 is a word I never think I heard before....but I see & saw leggings all around previously, so I am not sure what others have been calling them. Maybe the word didn't ring a bell when I heard it previously....

Leggings: 打底裤, 打底裤袜 ,紧身连裤袜