Chinese-Forums

Same thing, different names

skylee

Great idea, guys! I guess my chinese is not strong enough for contributing this list, but it is very much useful ^_^

Is there an online dictionary that after searching for a specific noun/verb, can give you a list of synonyms or similar meaning words? could be very helpfull too!

sweet potato - 地瓜。紅薯。番薯。

Textbook I used earlier this year also had 白薯 for sweet potato,but I've never heard it in use. It shows up in MDBG as well. Seems counter-intuitive that the same thing would be called both 红薯 and 白薯。

Has anyone run into 白薯?If so, where?

I was actually thinking of also putting 白薯 in that list but I wasn't sure if it was the exact same thing. It's definitely lighter in colour than 红薯 which is has a more orange colour to the flesh. It's quite common to find it for example in dishes such as 拔丝白薯。

拔丝白薯Yummmmmm :P

Ok, I'm going to post one that I hear alot* (umm basically everyday), I thought it was strictly dialect and not something I'd actually find in the dictionary, but apparently it is in the dictionary, so here it goes:

slip-on shoes: 拖鞋, 拖拉版, *呱哒板儿

Seems counter-intuitive that the same thing would be called both 红薯 and 白薯。

Why? I think it is pretty natural that the red one is called 红薯 and the white one 白薯?

slip-on shoes: 拖鞋, 拖拉版, 呱哒板儿

We call them 鞋拖 here at my home town. :P

Plastic bags: 塑料袋,胶袋,塑胶袋……

Cigarette filter: 烟蒂,烟头,烟屁股(!),(过)滤嘴……

I think it is pretty natural that the red one is called 红薯 and the white one 白薯?

I thought they were two names for the same root vegetable, which is reddish in color. Was I mistaken about that?

Looks like maybe I was:

http://bj.sina.com.cn/danone/art/v/2007-01-18/1536410.shtml

But they are the same thing, right? Like vanilla milkshake and strawberry milkshake are both milkshake, right?

BTW, why did the woman have her gloves on when cutting the sweet potatos? To avoid allergy? It reminds me that my mom told me that she cannot handle taros 芋頭 because she gets allergic.

I got one for ya:

"roller coaster" = 雲霄飛車,空中飛車,過山車 | 云霄飞车,空中飞车,过山车

oh! and this:

"plastic bottle" = 寶特瓶,保特瓶,膠樽 | 宝特瓶,保特瓶,胶樽

oh oh, and:

"space shuttle" = 太空梭,太空飛船,航天飛機 | 太空梭,太空飞船,航天飞机

space shuttle is also called 太空穿梭機 or just 穿梭機.

souvenirs (brought back from other places) - 紀念品 (most generic term)。土特產。土產。土儀。伴手禮。手信(this is mainly used in HK)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about same name, different things?

Only one I know is 别墅. When I was in Taiwan, that referred to the shopping/dining area right near campus. In China, it seems to be used for "villa", and for fancy housing developments. In Hong Kong, it seems to refer to a red light district, or a place when one can bring a "friend" and rent places by the hour.

[so imagine my wife's displeasure when, during my studies in Taiwan, I told her that I went to 别墅 almost every day....]