Chinese-Forums

Same thing, different names

skylee

Cool, thanks~~ I like how you came back and reported on this lipstick/gloss related vocab :clap

Here's a more manly one. Lately car & manufacturer names have been bothering me b/c there are usually more than 1 translation (or transliteration I suppose), so now I feel like I have to know both of the terms...well no, I suppose I do need to know both...blaah

Just 2 examples off the top of my head:

Lexus: 凌志, 雷克萨斯

Chrysler: 佳士, 克莱斯勒

This reminds me, where on this forum was the info about the dictionary for Chinese used in China & Taiwan....can't seem to locate it so let me randomly place this question here...hmmm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

VEGETABLES!!!!!

Not sure about 台球/桌球. But it seems that I have come across the term 桌球 being used to mean table-tennis. I think usually people use 桌球 to mean snooker/billiard. Now could someone please tell me the differences between these two cues+balls games?

"snooker" (what here is typically just called "pool" or sometimes (confusingly) "billiards") is played with 16 balls, one white (cue) ball and 15 colored balls. The general goal is to use the (shared) cue ball to knock in your 7 colored balls and then the eight-ball into a pocket, before your opponent does the same. "billiards" I have never seen played in the USA; I assume it's more common in English. I'm not sure exactly how it's played, but it uses only 3 balls and some scoring system. [i could cut-and-pate from wikipedia, but I know skylee is smart enough to do the same if she cares.]

Snooker is a very specific game of pool/billiards, played on a very large table (snooker table), with 15 red balls and 6 coloured balls which have to be pocketed in a specific order. Snooker is often played at a competitive level for big prizes, with live TV broadcasts etc.

There are many other variations of pool, like 8-ball (described by jbradfor), 9-ball, etc. This is usually what is played in bars, on smaller tables.

Of course, the names have considerable regional variation.

great informative and interesting topic...

just a suggestion: how about including what is the place of common usage (HK, Taiwan, PRC, etc), whether it's a slang or formal word, and whether it has dialect influences.

great to know the regional differences of words in the Mandarin speaking spheres!

Happy Lunar New Year!!!

• 2 weeks later...